The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 25, 2009, 11:29 AM   #1
MTT TL

Welcome to the United Kingdom of Nerfdom

After banning guns, swords, various knives and other weapons the UK is apparently running out of weapons to ban and is moving on to heavy objects that could be used as weapons such as glass beer mugs. I wish I could make this up.

http://www.nypress.com/blog-5148-bri...-injuries.html

Quote:
In a noble-ish effort to protect the more ******-off denizens of Britain's pubs from their own intoxicated antics, the British Home Office, according to boingboing, is seeking to reduce the number of pint-glass-related injuries in bars across the country by making the glasses shatterproof. Possible solutions include making the entire glass out of plastic or coating it in plastic or a plastic-like substance.

Pint-glass purists have already expressed their disapproval ("For the drinker, the pint glass feels better, it has a nice weight and the drink coats the glass nicely," points out a representative of the British Beer and Pub Association). The BHO counters that 5,500 people are attacked with glasses and bottles every year in England and Wales, with the Home Office Minister adding that "innovative design has played an important role in driving down overall crime."
Related content

It's easy enough—and pretty fun—to point out the more obvious flaws in this crime-reduction plan. (Notes boingboing's Cory Doctorow: "Because, you know, most bar-brawlers are fundamentally upset about the pint, not the people around them, and if they can't smash a pint sleeve, they will contain their anger and not use a chair, bottle or imposing scarred forehead.")

On the other hand, think of the bigger picture. Imagine the relief that the friends of drunken opera stars everywhere would feel, knowing that a Grey Goose-inspired high note would no longer carry such potentially dangerous consequences. Or consider the satisfying scenario of watching a ginned-out drama queen throw their glass against the wall, expecting a explosive burst of shards, only to see it clunk to the ground in two or three pieces. Truly, every cloud has a silver lining.

That being said, probably the best way to avoid getting injured by pint-glasses would be to, you know, not have 11 pints of Newcastle before inquiring how the guy next to you got so fat.
Old October 25, 2009, 11:59 AM   #2
Chris_B

So if I buy a set of pint glasses in the UK and walk down the street bringing them home, am I brandishing? OK say they are in a brown paper bag. If a passer-by can discern the shape through the bag, I am threatening becasue of imprinting?

It sounds funny, but wow, I feel sorry for our friends across the pond. Good-bye billiard halls, bocce matches, games of marbles, croquet, cricket, tennis, carpentry...you're right. If everyone just encases themselves in nerf, then we'll all be safe and happy