The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 11, 2009, 06:52 PM   #1
mrappe

Remington 1858 vs Colt 1860 Army

I have both of these guns made by Pietta. I have a hard time deciding which I like better. I like the looks of the Colt better and the way it points and feels better. It is much more balanced in the hand but the Remington I like for the extra strength/capacity and the ease of changing out cylinders. I would like to get another one of the two but I haven't made up my mind yet.

Any typos or misspellings are duer to my keyboard and not me.
I caught it cheating. I go a mind to shoot it next time.
Old May 11, 2009, 08:17 PM   #2
long rider

ERRRR let me see now 58 thats it yea?
Old May 11, 2009, 10:22 PM   #3
madcratebuilder

I have four variations of the 1858 NMA, BUT I have nineteen different open top Colts. I like them all. The Walker and Dragoons are the most powerful of the bunch, 400+lbs of energy.
Old May 12, 2009, 12:05 AM   #4
Smokin_Gun

I have 10 Remingtons and 20 Colts...I found I din't need as many Rems as I did Colts, I like Colts it's jus' I like Rems More :O)
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old May 12, 2009, 12:18 AM   #5
Fingers McGee

Uh, er.........................MaryAnn Yeah, that's the ticket.

Current total is 0 Remmies and 40+ Colts
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 12, 2009, 12:26 AM   #6
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
Current total is 0 Remmies and 40+ Colts
See I told ya you din't need near as many Rems as you do Colts and ROAs... :O)

Forgot to count my two ROAs... Tina in blued/pearl grips w/ adj. sights 7 1/2" bbl, and Silver Rattler in stainless steel, wooden or pearl grips. and a SS R&D Conversion Cyl .45Colt.
Old May 12, 2009, 06:28 AM   #7
CaptainCrossman

mrappe

Remington 1858 vs Colt 1860 Army
I have both of these guns made by Pietta. I have a hard time deciding which I like better. I like the looks of the Colt better and the way it points and feels better. It is much more balanced in the hand but the Remington I like for the extra strength/capacity and the ease of changing out cylinders. I would like to get another one of the two but I haven't made up my mind yet.

age old question, like asking who's better, the Beatles or the Rolling Stones. Genie, or Bewitched ? a tough call.

The 1860 is a lighter, quicker pointing weapon, better balanced- and has more graceful lines.

The 1858 is a stronger design, inside and out, has a more positive safety notch, and holds more powder, and less prone to cap and cylinder jams.

Shoot both of them, shot for shot, the Remington will outlast the Colt, eventually the Colt will loosen up a bit. If I was fighting a war, or in a gunfight, and was looking for reliability, I'd take the Remington.

the Walker/Dragoons are a stronger/bigger version of the 1860 that predate the 1860- but one issue is, the W/D's are a bit heavy. I'm not sure there's any real value to the increased powder capacity in the W/D's. 40 grains of black is plenty IMHO, which both the Remington and Colt 1860 have (albeit a bit compressed in the Colt). 50-60 grains in a pistol would become a bit of overkill, for putting holes in paper ! Shooting full cylinders in my Remington 1858 and Colt 1860 recently, I can't imagine wanting more powder charge than that- unless you're going after grizzly or polar bear... My 10-year old exclaimed "daddy, that thing is like a cannon" when I fired the 1858 Rem w/full chambers.

having said that, I will put a full cylinder of 6 shots/60 grain charges through my Walker, soon. If it's fun, I'll shoot a few more.

Last edited by CaptainCrossman; May 12, 2009 at 06:39 AM.
Old May 12, 2009, 08:29 AM   #8
Raider2000

As was said, An Age Old Question but to that I'll add my 2 cents worth in..

I have 1 1860 Army, 1 1848 3rd Dragoon, 1 1851 Navy, & 2 1858 New Armies & at pressent my short barrel Remmy copy gets most of my attention.

Try both & get which one fits you the best.
Better yet get both so you can play with one or the other each day you're at the range..
Old May 12, 2009, 08:54 AM   #9
williamfeldmann

I guess my quesetion is why do want to get another one of the two?

Do you want a matching set for CAS? If so get the one that you can shoot better with the off hand.

If you are just looking for a third gun, think outside your confort zone. Dragoons/Walkers are a pleasant change in pace. The Ruger Old Army is a different beast that can be loads of fun. If you are up for small challenge there are the pocket pistols from both colt and remmie...
Old May 12, 2009, 09:01 AM   #10
madcratebuilder

Quote:
If you are just looking for a third gun, think outside your confort zone.
Outside the box.
LeMat

Way outside the box
Baby LeMat

Rogers & Spencer

Spiller & Burr

Griswold and Gunnison
Old May 12, 2009, 09:59 AM   #11
timothy75

I can change cylinders faster with my 1860 in reality. Strength of design isnt something I really give much credit to in a C&B revolver either. Two advantages I give the 58 are the front sight is high enough to hit point of aim and spent caps stay forward of the recoil sheild.
Old May 12, 2009, 10:46 AM   #12
olyinaz

If you're limited to those two then I'd say the 1858.

If you're willing to think outside the box perhaps consider a cap & ball 1873 Colt if you don't mind being limited to loading the cylinder on an external loading press. The cylinders drop almost as easy as an 1858.

Cheers,
Oly
Old May 12, 2009, 11:33 AM   #13
Wobble

I have both guns as well (Uberti's) as well as a 3rd gen Colt 1861 Navy. I've seen a number of quotes by "experts" and collectors that say the 1860 Army and 1861 Navy are the "most beautiful guns ever built by Colt" due to the smooth graceful design. However, in my opinion, the Remington 1858 is just as beautiful and graceful with it's distinctive web under the loading lever and elegant frame. I vote for both.
Old May 12, 2009, 11:39 AM   #14
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
However, in my opinion, the Remington 1858 is just as beautiful and graceful with it's distinctive web under the loading lever and elegant frame. I vote for both.
I agree on the beauty of the 1858 NMA Remington...and agree that both it and the Colts are both a thing of beauty. But I claim the Remingtons to be jus' a bit more purty :O)
Thanks Wobble good comment...
Old May 12, 2009, 11:41 AM   #15
Hawg

I was a 58 fan for many years but now I lean towards the Colt. Once you learn to raise the muzzle slightly and tilt it to the right a tad while cocking it cap jams are almost non existent.
Old May 12, 2009, 11:55 AM   #16
Smokin_Gun

Hell I have always been a Colt fan for about 28 years or better...I cock both Colts and Rems the same way as the Horse Soldiers were taught, while cocking the weapon bring it to a 90 degree angle jus' like they were taught.
Ya don't have to be as finacy with the Rems or the Rogers&Spencers. For the most part the Colts don't jam as often using this method. I've tried rollin' the Rev, left handed, right handed, between my legs, under and over my arms. I don't care what I do the Colts will swallow or jam a cap sooner or later. But I still love um anyway...and I still love the Rems a lil' more :O)

Hawg deep down you're still a Rem Man that likes Colts ain't ya? HeeHee!
Old May 12, 2009, 12:42 PM   #17
Hawg

Quote:
Hawg deep down you're still a Rem Man that likes Colts ain't ya? HeeHee!
I like them both but I like the Colt's a little better. Gonna be Coltless for awhile tho, recently had 15 of my handguns stolen including ALL of my bp revolvers.
Old May 12, 2009, 01:10 PM   #18
joelberg

I love my 1858, but I want a Walker and a LeMat
Old May 12, 2009, 01:15 PM   #19
arcticap

Quote:
Gonna be Coltless for awhile tho, recently had 15 of my handguns stolen including ALL of my bp revolvers.
I'm very sorry to hear that and I'm sure that everyone else who reads about it will be too.
Old May 12, 2009, 01:42 PM   #20
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I like them both but I like the Colt's a little better. Gonna be Coltless for awhile tho, recently had 15 of my handguns stolen including ALL of my bp revolvers.

Sure hope you had some insurance, even better I hope you get them back.
Old May 12, 2009, 01:48 PM   #21
mykeal

In a contest between the 1858 Remington New Army and 1860 Colt Army I'd have to say I'd pick the Ruger Old Army or the Rogers and Spencer.
Old May 12, 2009, 01:52 PM   #22
Doc Hoy

Just is case you were interested.

Mrappe,

I have two 1858s from ASM. One is steel and one is brass. I like them both. Don't seem to be a nickel's worth of difference between the steel frame pistol at nearly thirty years of age and a brand new Pietta.

Tnx,
Old May 12, 2009, 02:11 PM   #23
grymster2007

Quote:
Sorry to hear that Hawg. I wouldn't mind personally throttling the perp.
Old May 12, 2009, 02:12 PM   #24
mykeal

Hawg - did you record the serial numbers and can you publish them?
Old May 12, 2009, 02:35 PM   #25
Hawg

Quote:
Hawg - did you record the serial numbers and can you publish them?
I have some of the numbers but not all. The thief was my son in law. I filled out a police report and gave them pics and serial numbers. The serial numbers are now in the national data base and if one goes thru a licensed dealer anywhere in the country it'll show up. I'm hoping he still has them and I'll get them back.