The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 30, 2007, 06:49 PM   #1
Sigma 40 Blaster

How often do you verify charges???

I've been reading a few powder measure discussions that got me thinking, how often do you need to verify your charges are still the same.

Let me qualify that statement by saying I'm not talking about bench rest reloading or trying to soup up a .38 special to make major, I'm talking about standard target loads 5-10% below max.

I use a Lee Pro 1000 and the Autodisk Pro. My line of thinking is that if my "lever action" stays about the same and my methods stay the same my charge should stay the same, or well within a reasonable tolerance.

I will usually check every 20 - 30 rounds (first and last case out of my case feeder tubes) for the first 100 or so then I'm off the races. I keep my powder hopper 2/3 to full...I will verify randomly here and there but usually more like every 50-60 rounds once I'm going.

I'm interested to hear what more experienced rollers do.

**EDIT-Hope this isn't a thread re-post, if it is sorry, I rarely use the search feature with all the new info popping up every day.
Old July 30, 2007, 08:25 PM   #2
DMZX

I load straight cased pistol ammo and use a Lee Perfect Powder Measure.

I not a high volume loader, in that I load ~ 100 round a week or so. My maximum loads are always just short of the recommendation. Most of my loads are modest
practice and target loads.

I tend to be a slow and methodical reloader as I use reloading as a good way to relax and unwind, but still keep my mind active doing something I really enjoy.

My routine is to fill the hooper 2/3's or more.

Toss around 4 charges to get every thing "powdered up."

Dial in the desired charge, checking with the scale until I have the charge bar set just right.

Toss a charge into a case and weigh it.

If all looks good, I run lots of 20 and check weight at the end of each lot and visually check the lot.

I yet to make an adjustment to the charge bar, but I still check it, especially with certain powders.

I shoot .44 mags in a 1894 Marlin rifle and when I work up a hunting specific load for it, I will run a 20 round lot and weigh each charge.
Old July 30, 2007, 09:47 PM   #3
Sevens

That's one of the benefits I feel I get by loading single stage... all my cases get charged at the same time, usually in lots of 50, and I get a visual on each and every single piece before I proceed to seat a bullet. Especially with a small flashlight handy, it's a simple step to see that each case has a similar amount of powder in it. Then, I'll grab one or two of them at random and dump and weigh the charge to see if it's where I want it.

I suppose if I were loading progressive, I'd audit a few loaded rounds by weight and look for any inconsistencies.
Old July 30, 2007, 09:54 PM   #4
red-rider

I use a dillon 550, I check the powder measure every session. I never changes. I reload for several pistol calibers, but 90% is 45acp. I keeo a small flashlight near the press and look down into the case every 20 or 30 to see. Never had a problem in 7 years of relading
Old July 30, 2007, 09:55 PM   #5
Trapper L

I use a Rockchucker press and an RCBS powder measure. I use only the small pistol cylinder for all loads as I find it is far more accurate than the larger rifle cylinder. The small has enough capacity for almost any rifle load anyway. I check every tenth round for the first fifty rounds, recheck to make sure it is locked down tight and start dumping. I check every case with an LED flashlight- makes the powder glow in the case and easy to see that none are overloaded. I won't use any progressive style press. I've already given away two new in the box Dillions this year alone. I think they are the most dangerous thing to reloading, especially for the beginner or casual reloader.
Old July 30, 2007, 10:45 PM   #6
lev83

I wouldnt really consider myself a high volume reloader but my usual routine when loading pistol rounds is to check every 10 rds. I check every five when loading for rifle. Better safe than sorry.
Old July 31, 2007, 12:44 AM   #7
Sevens

Now I prefer single stage myself, but if someone were giving away a new-in-the-box Dillon, I'd be right up at the front of the line!

It just begs the question... if you've already given away two new Dillions this year alone... where are you getting them? You wouldn't possibly go out and drop $250-$500 on a machine that you refuse to use, and then be forced to give it away? Twice?

If I were a match pistol shooter, I'd simply have to go progressive and I wouldn't look back. I'd still load single stage for other calibers that I don't use in matches, but I don't know of a lot of folks who have the kind of spare time it takes to produce these quantities of ammo to be available once a week for practice and matches.

I can certainly see the attraction to progressive loading. I just don't need it myself, and I enjoy single stage enough that progressive is just not something I want. But for *FREE* ?! Yep, sign me up!
Old July 31, 2007, 09:01 PM   #8
ludwig1138

I use a Lee 1000 with Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure.

I usually fill the hopper 3/4 full and put a small cup under the charge die mouth and cycle it 20 or so times by hand not cycling the press, then weigh a single charge. I repeat this a couple of times and then check it every 50 loaded rounds. I load for target shooting, and have had no problems with this method for nearly 8,000 rounds.

I do keep a careful eye on the charged case for double charges, but so far none.
Old July 31, 2007, 09:57 PM   #9
clayking

I check the measure when starting out...... use a dillon 650 with a powder check, watch the powder check, look into it about every 10-15, check weight each 100, when I change primers. After tens of thousands of rounds, nary a low or high charge.

Any Dillon giveaways, I'll take 'em.........................ck
Old July 31, 2007, 10:22 PM   #10
Taxidermist

Well my reloading gear is all antique. I have an old 3 stage CH press and I have a bracket mounted on top for use with my pacific powder measure's. I use a different measure for each caliber. It is the old measure that uses a brass bushing. I do check it once in awhile but not very often. It's been accurate for the last 30 years so far. Oh yeah the reason I use a different powder measure for each caliber is I'm old and lazy and don't like changing those bushings. I think if they ever wear out I'll just quit.

John
Old July 31, 2007, 11:14 PM   #11
Chief-7700

I check the measure when starting out...... use a dillon 650 with a powder check, watch the powder check, look into it about every 10-15, check weight each 100, when I change primers. After tens of thousands of rounds, nary a low or high charge.

I also use a Dillon XL 650, Check a full shell plate at the start and another after I feed the machine new primers. The powder check system is a must have.
Chief-7700
Old July 31, 2007, 11:15 PM   #12
Sigma 40 Blaster

That makes me feel a little better. A reloading "old head" told me I needed to verify every 10 to 20 rounds regardless of my run size. I usually load 500-1500 of the same caliber in a single session, stopping every 20 rounds would definitely add some serious time to my reloading duties.

I am about to buy an AR 15 and will get into single stage loading for .223. I don't think I'll be loading that at such high volumes (once I get a couple of thousand rounds for a buffer) but will probably be verifying those more frequently since I'll be dropping charges by hand and loading at near max load.
Old August 1, 2007, 11:18 AM   #13
buckster

Load verification

All one needs is one Squib to make you verify every time. I quit using the perfect powder measure because it was in-consistent and use a funnel and a hand primer. You can hot glue a 12 volt Led spliced into any old 12 v transformer so it will illuminate the shell area.
Old August 1, 2007, 11:46 AM   #14
Creature

I use a turret press and so I have to manually load each case into the press. I recheck when I start on the next row of brass in the box/container I am using to hold my rounds.
Old August 1, 2007, 12:27 PM   #15
Trapper L

Sevens, no, I don't buy the Dillions, they are given to me. I get all kinds of things from scopes, bullets, saboted bullets, etc. for trial and testing. A press like a Dillion and others I still say are dangerous and are not for the casual reloader. Of course, I'm old school, if you are going to do something- do it right and be proud of it. Can't be proud of some of the crap that comes out of some of these presses. I have yet to have anybody ever have a failure of any kind with any of my loads. I've been doing this for over thirty years.
Old August 1, 2007, 03:32 PM   #16
nobius

Trapper,

You get another Dillon, or anything else shooting related for that matter, that you don't want/won't use, just let me know. I'll pay the shipping.

"I aim to misbehave" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
Old August 1, 2007, 03:52 PM   #17
arkie2

I use a Lee classic turret press with the auto disk powder measure. I weigh every first charge and last charge and if I'm loading up 50 rounds I'll check somewhere in the middle, if it's 100 rounds I'll check twice. However, after I throw the powder I take every case off the loader and visually inspect every primer to see that it's seated properly and look in the case mouth to eyeball the powder. I started doing that after my first squib load.
Old August 1, 2007, 04:35 PM   #18
ShootingNut

arkie

I get at least 2 squibs out of a hundred rounds. Those drop only 1 grain (just caught one last weekend) when others are at 3.8 gr.
So, my Lee Pro Auto Powder using a "full stroke" isn't very dependable.
Good thing I'm not loading a "defense" load, or I could be a dead duck!
Old August 1, 2007, 05:49 PM   #19
CrustyFN

I use the Lee Classic Turret with the Pro Auto Disk. I used to check every 20 to 30 rounds. I added a LED light to my press so now once I know the measure is set where I want it I don't check until the end. I can see every powder drop before I set the bullet on. I know I can't see a .1 or .2 difference but I'm not worried about that small of a variation. I normally load in the low to middle part of the load data.That system has worked good for me so far.
Rusty
Old August 1, 2007, 06:17 PM   #20
ShootingNut

Crusty,

As you know, I'm talking about a 2.0+ drop in charge. And yes, I also use a LED light and check my 50 rounds for a light looking load. But, regardless that is a bunch of crap, when you have to visually "look" for a light load. What does that say about the equipment we are using.
I was taking to task when I first started out, using a tape measure rather than an calipher to check my COL. Now I'm supposed to rely on my 65 year old eyes and a light, to be sure my charge is correct?
Old August 1, 2007, 08:14 PM   #21
CrustyFN

Quote:
As you know, I'm talking about a 2.0+ drop in charge. And yes, I also use a LED light and check my 50 rounds for a light looking load. But, regardless that is a bunch of crap, when you have to visually "look" for a light load. What does that say about the equipment we are using.
I have never had enough variation in my powder drops for it to be a concern. That tells me that my equipment is fine and setup correct. I wish I knew what was wrong so I could help you with yours. It isn't just the equipment we are using. Look at Dillon and Hornady. Everybody that owns one has a light to check the charge, or a lockout die or some kind of die to check for a bad powder drop. Sounds to me like it is not brand specific. If you read a lot of threads on progressives you will also find that they have more primer problems than a turret. If somebody could just make a trouble free press I would be first in line.
Rusty
Old August 1, 2007, 11:08 PM   #22
DWARREN123

Every 5 rounds.
Old August 1, 2007, 11:30 PM   #23
Sigma 40 Blaster

Shootingnut,

I have had problems with squibs before, I didn't know that the Auto-Disk conversion charts were not exactly right (almost 1.3 grains low), after I found out which Auto-Disk cavity yielded the right charge I have had zero problems.

I would check the springs and other moving parts of your measure, it really sounds like it's not going all the way back to re-charge or all the way forward to drop the powder...I forgot what kind of powder you were using but I'm going to look into a ball powder instead of Unique...

Hope you get your problems worked out though, thanks to all for the input.
Old August 2, 2007, 07:29 AM   #24
k8do

Dillon 650
Frequent loader (keep shootin em up)
I keep the powder hopper over half full at all times
At the start of each session I check the first charge and the 4th or 5th, then about every 50 rounds... It never varies from the set point of 5.0 gr. on the electronic scale (and cross checked now and then on a manual scale)
The other thing I do is look at every powder charge as I set the bullet (45 ACP, case is short and fat and easy to see the powder level)... I caught one squib load this way - it was my fault and as soon as I saw it I realized I had short stroked the handle when a stack of 2X4 lumber had toppled over behind me as other people were working in the shop... I stopped, emptied all the stations on the index plate, and started over...

denny
Old August 2, 2007, 08:54 AM   #25
Wild Bill Bucks

It depends on the powder. Short grain powder will meter very accuratley, and most of the time, doesn't need to be checked more that every 10 rounds or so. If you are metering a longer grain powder, the metering adjuster in your powder throw, will occasionally cut one into and create an interruption in your rythum, and seems to throw a load off a little. If I'm using long grain powder, I weigh every charge. As said before, better safe than sorry.