The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 24, 2000, 05:46 AM   #1
TCW

And why whould you want it?
Old December 24, 2000, 11:25 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Flexitabs

As I understand it, the Flexitab is a modification to the carrier of the Remingnton 870 shotgun. It entails a cutout in the carrier assembly with corresponding modication to the bolt and slide. The Flexitab allows for clearance of the 870 when jammed. You can insert a key into the cutout of the carrier to push the shell forward or to help unjam the gun.
Old December 24, 2000, 02:37 PM   #3
tyro

How long has this feature been present in new 870's?
Old December 25, 2000, 07:15 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Over a decade, Tyro. If the shell "Lifter" has a slot in it, you have it. I'm sure both of yours are OK.

BTW, my Bird 870 doesn't have Flextab, but it's a parts gun and not for serious stuff anyway. I will say that even when stuffing in hulls during hotnfast dove deluges,I've not had any problems, but I load pretty forcefully anyways....
Old January 13, 2001, 12:21 AM   #5
VictorLouis

Is there any modifications made to the bolt also?
Old January 13, 2001, 09:17 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Yes, the Flextab kit includes a new bolt.

Valley Gun Shop near Baltimore, Md, does have them in stock but will not install them, their smith is leaving shortly for another position. The number is 410-668-2171....
Old January 15, 2001, 12:22 AM   #7
Sling Shot

I just watched the AGI armorers course on the 870. According to the smith, Remington reccomends using the flextab bolt with the flextab carrier. But he also states that the flextab bolt is not absolutely needed, and that a person could just install the flextab carrier, and just use the original bolt. The only difference in not using the flextab bolt and flextab carrier combination, and just installing the flextab carrier and original bolt would be that when the gun jams, the jam would be a tad bit harder to clear. That just means a person would just have to grab the forend and pump the action a bit harder over one that is outfitted with the flextab bolt and carrier combination. The smith also explains the flextab system in detail, and why the flextab carrier is more reliable than an 870 without one. It was an excellent video. Sling Shot