The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 11, 2010, 12:14 AM   #1
EdInk

Coach Gun Question

What are the pros and cons of having the traditional two triggers versus the single trigger? What do you prefer?

I'm considering the idea of buying a coach gun. I know that I do NOT want exposed hammers. The trigger thing is undecided but I think I like the simple one trigger. I will not be hunting with it, so barrel selection doesn't really matter to me. It will be a fun gun.

Are the single triggers reliable? More/less/same kind of money as the two trigger models. What brands do you suggest?

Thanks for the advice.
Old January 11, 2010, 12:54 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Having never owned a SXS here is my take on it but it may be incorrect...

The pros of exposed hammers, double triggers to me are: Positive cocked/uncocked...
The choice of which barrel to fire.
In the event of a dud round failing to fire, you can immediately fire the other. If it were a single trigger, the failure would render the gun useless until you opened the action and put in a fresh round as one barrel goes off first then recoil sets the second barrel IIRC.

I think this is close to accurate info.
Brent
Old January 11, 2010, 09:59 AM   #3
apr1775

Double triggers are a simpler more reliable system. May feel a little strange at first, but with practice, moving your finger from one trigger to the next.
Old January 11, 2010, 10:22 AM   #4
oneounceload

Two triggers for two barrels is as simple as it gets. Simple is good - less things to suffer the Laws of Murphy. If you look at some of the high end shotguns ( ranging from 10,000 to 200,000), you'll see double triggers, so it is not a feature relegated to inferior guns, but one left over from the time of then double gun invention - which was essentially a marriage of two single shots onto one frame.

IF you ever had a malfunction with one barrel, you immediately have that second barrel available.
Old January 11, 2010, 02:43 PM   #5
10-96

I guess 99.9 % of everybody tries to take care of their stuff, but I've seen a fairly high proportion of broken exposed hammers. Maybe I've always had an eye for broke stuff, I dunno, but I've seen enough to makes me appreciate the internal hammers.

If you're looking for one just to play around with and not serious shooting or collectability- take a look at the Stoeger line up. http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...e_by_sides.php

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.