The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 7, 2007, 02:48 PM   #1
BradS

Question For Dillon Square Deal B Owners

Ok, I am trying to do my homework and have read numerous posts in regard to reloading, but would like to hear from square deal b owners. Here are the specifics. I do not have any plans to reload rifle cartridges. I would mainly be loading .45ACP,.40cal and some .38.
Are all these calibers considered large primers? I have read some posts from SDB owners having problems with their presses. I know Dillon has a great reputation for customer service, so do ya'll think the SDB would serve me well or should I spend the extra $ for the 550?
All info and opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old July 7, 2007, 02:56 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The .38 special uses small primers, so you would have to include making a primer conversion. The SD uses only special Dillon dies. I have one set up in .45 ACP and that's all it ever does. I also have a 550, and it does all other pistol cartridges. Conversions are cheaper in the 550 when you consider you can use anybody's dies, so I would go that route in your shoes. I find it slightly slower due to manual indexing, despite Dillon's claimed numbers, but use the extra time to visually check powder level.

A friend of mine has a 1050, and I wish I had waited. D**n that thing is fast. If I were to do it over, I would seriously consider the 650 for the extra leverage, case feeder and powder check stage when working at top speed for volume.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 7, 2007, 03:04 PM   #3
CrustyFN

45 will be large primer and 40 S&W and 38 will be small. I don't own a SDB but if I was going to buy a Dillon I would get the 550 over the SDB. With the 550 you can use any brand dies and the SDB will only use special Dillon dies. I haven't looked lately but I don't think there is much of a price difference between the two.
Rusty
Old July 7, 2007, 08:05 PM   #4
crowbeaner

I had a SDB and loaded thousands of rounds on it, but I agree with the previous posts. Buy the 550 or 650 if money is of prime consideration and you plan on loading rifle ammo at some time. Both bigger loaders use standard dies and you may be able to find some good deals on used but not abused dies. Chageover from large to small priming puches is quite easy on both. I still have my 450 and given the choice I'd buy another in an eyeblink.
Old July 7, 2007, 08:16 PM   #5
ammo.crafter

I've been loading .45 & .38 on my Square deal for about a dozen years with only minor problems that we're taken care of without question and very quickly.

Would I buy another, sure; would I get a 650, sure.

All depends how much you plan to reload.

have fun.
Old July 7, 2007, 09:57 PM   #6
Jim Watson

I went for a good while on a SDB, then I got another so I didn't have to change primer feeds small to large when I wanted to load 9mm instead of .45 or vice versa. Its only drawback is that it does not have much leverage at the top of the stroke and I really had to grunt to seat large primers all the way. Small were no problem.
550 is better there, but not a whole lot. Which is why I spent the entertainment budget on a 1050 instead of a new gun one year.

The proprietary die thing is not a big problem, the SDB insert system works ok. Its only failing is that there is no place to put a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp as is needed if you are loading mixed brass and bulk cast bullets.
Old July 8, 2007, 01:18 AM   #7

My wife and I have loaded well over 100K rounds on ours. It does a fine job of loading, if you buy one I'm sure you'll like it.
Old July 31, 2007, 06:01 PM   #8
t0066jh

SDB, Buy it

, I've had mine for six months and have loaded 45acp. Just bought what I need to load 357/38. I only get to shoot twice a week, 200 rounds max. The SDB seems to fill the need.

It's a great starter loader, resale is fast and easy, check out Ebay! Warranty is 100% so it's easy to sell it and upgrade if you outgrow it or just want the 550 or 650.
Old July 31, 2007, 06:15 PM   #9
Jammer Six

I've loaded .45 on my Square Deal, and I love it.

One of the things I've noticed being neglected in these posts is habit. Loading is repetitive enough that habit can be significant.

I wouldn't want to switch to a 550 because my habits have been set on a press that indexes automatically.

I learned about the force of habit from my trade; I'm a carpenter, and habits matter.

I would switch to a 650, but not a 550.

So if you ever want to upgrade, upgrading from a Square Deal to a 550 would involve re-learning your habits, while upgrading to a 650 wouldn't.

From that perspective, upgrading from a 550 to a 650 also means new habits.

In short, if you ever see yourself upgrading, the smooth path is the Square Deal.
Old July 31, 2007, 06:37 PM   #10
Jart

My SDB ran like a clock loading .45 Colt. I swapped it for an XL-650 just because the 650 was a little easier going and I wanted a casefeeder but there was never anything wrong with the SDB.

As far as an easy upgrade path goes, Dillon has a strong-mount for the 650 that'll slip right over the SDB mounting pattern. Easiest upgrade I ever did - got to re-use the existing bolts without even getting under the bench.

Lazy, but smooth.
Never considered the 550 as the auto-index had spoiled me somewhat.

If I had it to do over I'd still start with the SDB which, unlike the 650, comes factory set-up for the chambering of your choice. I was new to metallics and being able to see factory die set-up was nice. Match the components to the inert test round they provide, dial in the powder measure and go to town.