The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 9, 2006, 11:10 PM   #1
parrothead2581

Is CCW in NC really worth it?

Perhaps "really worth it" is a bit harsh, but I've been debating whether I should CCW or not here in NC, considering all of the restrictions. It seems I would essentially be limited to the car, street and some retail stores. And knowing my luck, I would be walking dowtown, 2 miles away from the car, with my girlfriend when she gets the hankering for some food...where they happen to sell alcohol. I can envision her tiring of me walking back to the car all the time to lock that 1911 up. Just curious what any CCW carriers in NC, or elsewhere, have to say. By the way, what's the waiting period? I heard someone say 90 days for the SBI to do their check and get approval from your physician. Thanks!
Old January 10, 2006, 12:48 AM   #2
MTS840

Parrothead:

In a word, YES, it's worth it!

For one, it shows that you are doing everything to comply with the law and have taken the minimum state mandated training necessary to legally carry a gun.

Second, it's been shown that as more people legally carry guns, the violent crime rate of that location goes down. So do your part to help lower the crime rate! Get a CCW and start carrying!

http://http://www.nraila.org/Issues/...ad.aspx?ID=126

Third, our permit is now recognized in about 28 states now and there are not many other states that can say that.

http://http://www.ncdoj.com/Document...stofstates.pdf

And finally, while we don't have a Vermont or Alaska style carry system, every state has restrictions on concealed carry and ours isn't much different than most other states.

http://http://www.ncdoj.com/law_enfo...eciprocity.jsp
Old January 10, 2006, 01:03 AM   #3
HGKosteck

Yes.

If you have the ability to get a CCW, get it, and, carry it with you however much you can.

I'd consider lifestyle modifications to limit your exposure to places where you
couldn't carry.

There are resturants that don't serve booze around, I'm sure, if you look.

Bad things can happen in resturants...(Remember Luby's in Killeen, TX?),
and I simply refuse to patronize resturants, or any other places you can't CCW as much as possible.

A little oddity....In TX it's perfectly legal to carry in a liqour store, as long as the establishment doesn't prohibit it.

My feelings on CCW are very strong and, I'm not going to go into it further since I've offended people in the past by stateing them, however, just a few things to consider:

-Makeing the progressive leap from "Sheep/Food" to "Sheep with teeth" to "Sheepdog" does require some sacrifice.......I'm NOT trying to insult you with those terms, simply stateing my viewpoint in sweeping terms.

-You may need to make lifestyle, wardrobe, and, behavior modifications, however, that is a small price to pay IMO.

-If you are unwilling to make changes in your life, you should definitly consider why you'd even want to carry at all.
Old January 10, 2006, 01:10 AM   #4
MTS840

Okay, let me try posting those links again!

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactShe...ad.aspx?ID=126

http://www.ncdoj.com/DocumentStreame...stofstates.pdf

http://www.ncdoj.com/law_enforcement...eciprocity.jsp
Old January 10, 2006, 07:29 AM   #5
blume357

I say yes too

If for no other reason you will learn somethings you didn't know when you take the class. I too thought I knew everything. Besides that, N.C. permit is one of the few that is recognized by my state of S.C. So, if you go 'south of the boarder' you will still be able to carry.

Looks like this is the morning for packing dot org to be down. They do that about once a week.
Old January 10, 2006, 07:35 AM   #6
ulflyer

Parrot: It CAN take up to 90 days for it to go thru, but may well be considerably faster. Some counties are faster than others. It took about 6 weeks for some medical institution (that I'd never heard of) to get back to the Sherif's dept to let them know I had no mental illness; otherwise it would have only taken about 4-6 weeks.

The CCW also makes it easy to make instant purchases.

I carry small and unless theres a sign on the door saying no guns, I don't worry about it.
Old January 10, 2006, 07:44 AM   #7
Weeg

Yes, parrot...Lots of restrictions, BUT...a big reason to get one is to have one in your car.

Plus, the "alcohol" rules in NC are that you can't carry in a place where "alcohol is sold AND consumed"...IE: Bar/nightclub etc

Hope this helps,

R
Old January 10, 2006, 07:51 AM   #8
bp78

another nc ccp says yes.

Wake County took nearly all of the allowed 90 day 'shall issue' period before I got my permit. One trip to the Sherrifs office to get printed, drop $80 cash on counter, and apply, and then one trip down to pick it up 2months & change later.

I have the same problem you do with our resturant law - I'd love to see that provision amended. I know it hard to define a law to allow resturants but not hard-drinking bars, perhaps they could establish "dining hours" or similar. I simply don't carry as much as I'd like to because of this law. On the upside, one of our favorite local resturants is a dry resturant.

Also, living in a college town, I try to be careful not to cut through one of the campus roads. Years ago campus police supposedly ran plates looking for CCP holders and stopped them for carrying on educational property. The court stepped in and stopped the practice from what I heard.

If for no other reasons, a NC CCP will:
1) make it more convinient to buy your next handgun.
2) provide you with more flexiblity when transporting your gun in the car.
3) allow you to carry on a NC through FL road trip and in a lot of other neighboring states.
Old January 10, 2006, 11:18 AM   #9
Mizzle187

The best advice Ive heard all day! "If you have the ability to get a CCW, get it, and, carry it with you however much you can." --HGKosteck

Its your right to protect yourself and your loved ones and its your right to have a gun . Its also your right to carry it on your person(where allowed) with a permit. I dont know about you but I like exercise my rights! I know I dont live in NC but it doesnt look like NC has to restrictive of a CCW laws. www.packing.org

In Louisiana you can carry in a liquor store as long as its allowed by the management. You can also carry in a Restaraunt as long as its primary source of income isnt alchohal. If I lived in NC I would try to obtain one!
Old January 10, 2006, 10:04 PM   #10
parrothead2581

Does anyone know how they define "mental illness"?, when deciding whether to issue to you? Around 2003 I was extremely anxious whether or not I would get into graduate school or not. Went to my MD for "depression and anxiety" She prescribed nothing, recommended I chat with a therapist. I did as she recommended, turns out it simply was a case of the "jitterbugs" and have never had a problem since. Would they see that one office visit in 2003 as a reason to deny me, or are they looking for more of a recurring theme? Thanks!
Old January 10, 2006, 10:08 PM   #11
boing

Some of the "more stupider" restrictions:

Can't carry in any establishment that serves alcohol. Who woulda thought Urban Burrito sells beer? Oops!

Can't carry in a funeral procession....why not, the guy's already dead?

Can't carry in a parade, or as a spectator to a parade...guess my float-driving days are over...damn!

Short answer, Yes: With a permit you can CCW most places. Without it, you can't CCW anywhere.

Reciprocity and "permit-less" handgun purchases are a big plus, too.
Old January 10, 2006, 10:13 PM   #12
parrothead2581

I never would have thought Mario's Pizza or Jam's Deli would sell beer, and it's only about three different kinds, but they do. Odd how few dry restaurants there are, when you really look. Really can limit where and what you can do when out on the town. I do love the reciprocity and permitless handgun sales with the CCW. Thanks!
Old January 10, 2006, 10:15 PM   #13
boing

On "mental illness":

I'm sure you'll be fine, parrothead, but like all NC gun laws, the ignorant slobs in the legislature leave a lot to the imagination when it comes to crafting statutes. It's possible that your particular sheriff will have a bug up his butt about CCW and look for any excuse to deny, but in that worst case, you still have the right to appeal to a judge.

I have a questionable "medical history" that's more significant than yours, and I've gotten CCW in two counties. Don't worry about it.
Old January 10, 2006, 10:19 PM   #14
jrklaus

I can't believe that one conversation would constitute a barrier to carrying a firearm concealed.
Old January 10, 2006, 10:21 PM   #15
boing

BTW- the reason there are so many stupid restrictions on CCW is that when the anti-gun drones in the legislature realized CCW was going to pass, they gave up trying to stop it, and focused on trying to make it as useless as possible in it's finally enacted form. And they've said so.

If nothing else, get your permit out of spite.
Old January 10, 2006, 10:30 PM   #16
parrothead2581

I actually don't see Sheriff Barnes as having a bug up his butt about CCW, but who knows. May pick the wrong day to have it land on his desk.
Old January 10, 2006, 10:47 PM   #17
WhyteP38

Yep, get one if you can. I have one but don't carry as much as I should. I'm still sorting out my holster options. But I'm glad I got it.

Lots of restrictions, but you can carry to MOST places. Like others said, it helps for purchasing other firearms. It's accepted in 28 other states. That number will probably grow. And it's a whole lot better than NOT having it.

Remember, laws change. Think beyond just today. Used to be no CCW here in NC. Now we have it but with restrictions. I'm hoping the restrictions will soon disappear once the scare tactics used to create them no longer work on voters. And there's safety in numbers. The more people who have CCWs, the less likely bad guys are going to cause trouble, and the less likely the pols are going to get rid of CCWs.

Every new CCW holder is another civilian soldier added to the militia and another potential voter who will vote out the SOBs trying to infringe on our rights.
Old January 11, 2006, 06:00 AM   #18
blume357

I was half way through shopping

yesterday at home depot and realized I wasn't packing. gave me a slight case of the willies. The problem I have is I have to drive around and do service work at folks houses and can't carry in their homes (with out their permission, which is not what I'm going to do) So, In my work vanl I carry a pistol and usually when I get out to go eat or buy something I strap on.

I have this fear that something is going to happen and I won't be packing. Don't get me wrong, it's not a fear for my own personal safety... it's a fear that their will be a report or artical that says he had a permit to carry but wasn't..... it would be really l embarising to have lost my life or not be able to save someone elses when I could have.
Old January 11, 2006, 08:50 AM   #19
John28226

Well Said!

Whyte; you said it very well. The two things crooks understand are the power of a gun and the power of the ballot!! Get the CCW; carry when you can AND VOTE AN INTELLIGENT BALLOT!

John
Charlotte, NC
Old January 11, 2006, 08:58 AM   #20
porkskin

i live in greensboro, nc and have my ccw through sherriff barnes. i think it is definately worth it, because you break the law if you carry without it. how many times have you needed to go down patterson st in w-s or lee st in gso and thought it would be reassuring to protect yourself? if you ran out of gas in one of these areas, you couldn't carry legally to the gas station. high point rd has had robberies at every fast food store. is n.c.'s ccw policy a little too stringent? hell yes. ga and al (other states i've had ccw) are much easier to get, but take advantage of living in a state that will let you legally carry. the triad can be rough, i choose armed!
Old January 11, 2006, 11:42 AM   #21
Wildalaska

Quote:
Second, it's been shown that as more people legally carry guns, the violent crime rate of that location goes down.
Are you claiming a staitical correlation or a statistical coincidence?

WildpartofnewyearesolutionAlaska
Old January 11, 2006, 11:57 AM   #22
geneinnc

wild, violent crime rates after ccw are tallied over a 5 year period. Year one drops over 10%. For some reason year 2 jumps back around 5%. Then there is a steady drop, with most states averging 15% drop in violent crime over the 5 years.

Catawba County will drag you through the entire 90 days. The gentlemen that fingerprints you is one more fine person. I hope he doesn't retire soon.
He makes the trip to the Sherrif's office enjoyable.

IMO Sherriff Huffman is the decideing factor on the full 90 day wait.
When we first started classes, you could appeal to sherrif for an emergency instant permit if you were "justified", whatever that means. Seem to recalone student that owned project buildings, and got the permit early, but i think he had to pay $90 again when the permanent permit arrived.

As for taking the class, I offer money back if the student feels it wasn't worth the time. No takers. Most said they picked up on handgunning basics they never knew or had forgot. I had one parent bring a teen in for the class. Of course they got no permit, but they wanted their child to learn firearms safety before he had use of a gun. Nor did I charge him for the course. I even had to ex Police officers tell me they had more training in my 12 hour class than they had as an officer. That is scarey!
Old January 11, 2006, 01:40 PM   #23
nbkky71

"Can't carry in any establishment that serves alcohol. Who woulda thought Urban Burrito sells beer? Oops!"

boing: NC state law stipulates that you can't carry where alcohol is sold and consumed, not merely served.
Old January 11, 2006, 02:38 PM   #24
bp78

dup post. delete at will.
Old January 11, 2006, 02:40 PM   #25
bp78

nbkky71,

That covers any resturant, like Urban Burrito, that sells wine, beer, or spirts with meals. Right, or have I been missing something on this alcohol law? It does really limit my choices for decent food when carrying.

A grey area to me, Total Wine. Normally they just sell, no consumption on premisis, but I went in on a Saturday to pickup two bottles and they were doing tastings. Guess that puts them off-limits in NC too.