The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 7, 2013, 11:42 PM   #1
pelican

Girl fatally shoots her stepdad accidently

What a shame. This didn't have to happen, but it did happen, to an eleven-year-old and a nineteen-year-old.

Check the chamber, and follow all safety rules.

Unfortunately, some people have no business owning a firearm.

http://www.wral.com/girl-fatally-sho...ally/12862685/

Last edited by pelican; September 8, 2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old September 7, 2013, 11:51 PM   #2
TXAZ

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 8, 2013, 01:24 AM   #3
NWPilgrim

"Removed the magazine but forgot to check the chamber." Plus she was pointing it as his chest apparently. 19 yr old bought the pistol 24 hrs earlier and handed it to an 11 yo. Very sad that such young people were involved in this tragedy.

What are the basic firearm safety rules again? If just ONE of the rules had been observed there would not have been a fatality or injury. A few seconds of thought to safety can prevent a lifetime of trauma.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 8, 2013, 02:24 AM   #4
Ridgerunner665

Another reason they should teach firearms safety in school...I didn't have Safety class until high school, so at 11 years old it may not have helped...but I think most states will let you take the Hunters Safety course at 10 years old...anyone who owns firearms should get their kids to these classes whether they ever intend to hunt or not...

I took the Hunter Safety class in school, it was part of Safety class...I learned a lot of useful stuff in that class...CPR, drivers ed, etc.

EVERYBODY should be required to learn at least BASIC firearms safety...if the government REALLY wanted to promote SAFETY...they would pass this law, and it would do more good than all the BS they're doing now.
Old September 8, 2013, 11:50 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner665
Another reason they should teach firearms safety in school...

EVERYBODY should be required to learn at least BASIC firearms safety...if the government REALLY wanted to promote SAFETY...they would pass this law, and it would do more good than all the BS they're doing now.
Very true.

And, despite the argument I had last week with a career teacher (who is a shooter), the rules taught should be Cooper's four rules, not the NRA's three-rules-plus-a-whole-buncha-other-rules. For kids to learn it, it has to be simple, and the NRA's aren't. I'm a Vietnam veteran, an NRA instructor, and I've been shooting for more than 60 years. I can't remember the NRA's mangled pile of rules, how can we expect people (and kids) with today's shortened attention spans AND who are new to guns to remember them? Cooper's four rules are clear, simple, and they accomplish the purpose. 'Nuff said.
Old September 8, 2013, 11:57 AM   #6
Pahoo

Yes, it is that simple !!!

Quote:
Cooper's four rules are clear, simple, and they accomplish the purpose. 'Nuff said.
Yes they are and this is what I present and demonstrate. Not only teach but challenge the students to hold us accountable, during our live fire portion of the class. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 8, 2013, 12:33 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

A tragic, but all to familiar story. But a link with short comments, not even proposing a specific topic for discussion is a drive by, under our guidelines, and so this one will be closed.