The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2013, 05:36 PM   #1
joey.franko

reloading 243 winchester with large rifle magnum primers?

is it ok to use large rifle magnum primers to reload 243 wincheshter(not 243 short magnum rounds).the guy at the gun store said it wouldn't hurt anything,the guy is a gun smith also,he said it would burn a little hotter but shouldn't hurt my gun or shells.i always like to get 2 or more people to tell me its ok to do something i am not sure about,especially when reloading.please would someone give me an educated response so i don't kill myself,I'm new at reloading,thank you [email protected]
Old May 8, 2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Gster

In my opinion no, I wouldn't do it. There will probably be some more experienced reloaders on here that would. But I would not tell a newbie to go against what the manuals say are safe. JMO
Old May 8, 2013, 06:24 PM   #3
jmr40

I can't say for sure about a 243, but would think it would be no different than other chamberings. A lot of experienced target shooters report better accuracy with magnum primers in non-magnum chamberings. Same with folks who hunt in extreme cold to get better ignition. I've used them in both 308 and 30-06. Typically you get a little more speed (25-50 fps) from your loads and if you're loading close to a max load you need to back off some on the powder charge. This is one of the big reasons every reloader needs a chronograph so you will know for sure.

Many standard primers burn hotter than some magnum primers.
Old May 8, 2013, 07:15 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You can use any primer you want to use. Start at starting loads and work up. The primer makes, at MOST, a difference equivalent to 10% powder and that would be an extreme outlier event. Many times, it makes no discernible difference.

There are "regular" primers of one brand that might be hotter than magnum primers of another.

Just like cases, bullets, powder lots, barrels, chambers, etc, you are not using the same primers as the people who published the data. That's why we start low and work up. If everything was the same, there'd be no reason to not have a single, max load that everybody used.

Check out the differences, here.
Old May 8, 2013, 08:59 PM   #5
JMP

My main load for .243 is 95gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, RL22, and CCI large rifle magnum primers.
Old May 8, 2013, 09:18 PM   #6
joey.franko

thanks jmp,im going to go with what u say

thanks jmp