The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 29, 2010, 03:56 AM   #1
sirrah243

357 mag hunting load question?

Hi everbody, I'm new to the forumn. I've been relaoding for about 2 years now, mostly rifle 243 and 22-250 and some 40 S&W.

I'm trying to develope a hunting load for my GP100 6". I'll be using it on hogs and possibly deer at max 50 yards. I'm planning on loading Hornady XTP 180 gr. with either W296/H110 or Alliant 2400

Does anybody here have any experience with the 180 gr. XTP bullet in a hunting application? How did it perform? penetration? exit? blood trail?

Is 180 gr. to much? would 158 gr. be a better choice

I plan to mostly use the round for hogs but will harvest a deer if the situation presents itself.

Any input is appreciated, Thank you.
Old September 29, 2010, 08:19 AM   #2
Sam06

First welcome to Handloading on TFL.

I have not shot or loaded the XTP but I do shoot and load a 173gr Cast KT bullet. I have kind of moved away from 296 and 110 in my 357,41 and 44 loads but in my notes:

15.7gr of H110 would push a 173gr Cast KT/PB bullet @ 1390fps from my Ruger BH with a 6.5" barrel.

I would check my manual but I don't have it handy. Look at what yours says.

Another tip from a dedicated Handgun hunter. Bullet placement is VERY important in handgun hunting and second is penetration. That is why I use a heavy for caliber Hard cast bullet at a moderate/high speed in my hunting handguns. I also like AA#9 powder. It is very consistent and it meters like water. I have been looking for some Ramshot Enforcer because I have heard its the bees knees in a 44 mag. But have not found it where I live.

Good luck this season.
Old September 29, 2010, 08:29 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Deer die easily compared to large hogs, so worry only about the hogs and the same round will take any deer.

296/H110 will typically give you the same performance at a little lower pressure than 2400, but that's with the more conventional 110-158 grain bullets. Indeed, 296/H110's loading density is such that it produces maximum energy with 125 grain bullets. That is, as the bullets get shorter they allow room for more powder, but also the powder burns less efficiently. That is because lower mass offers less inertial resistance to acceleration for the powder burn to build pressure against. In effect, if the bullet is too light it scoots down the bore too fast for a slower burning powder to keep up with it. The balance of these two opposing influences peak with 125's to put the most energy into the bullet.

For a 180 grain bullet, a 100% case fill (no compression but no air space left) of 296/H110 only produces about 27 kpsi. But 2400 can get you into the 30's and over and should get you an additional 50-100 fps or so according to QuickLOAD. In the Hornady manual 2400 produces the most velocity of the powders listed with that bullet. The load range given is 10.3 to 12.6 grains of 2400 with the bullet seated to 1.59" COL and using a Winchester WSPM primer in a Frontier case.

In your shoes, I would also be looking at Alliant's new 300MP powder. It's their new magnum pistol specialty powder. It hasn't made it into the bullet maker's load manuals yet. They don't have 180 grain bullet load data on their site, but with a 170 grain bullet they show it beating 2400 by 450 fps in a 10" barrel. I haven't got my hands on any yet, but if it does half what they claim, it's going to become very popular for heavy bullets in magnum revolvers. I would give Alliant a call and inquire with their technicians about your bullet and that powder and its availability. 800-276-9337.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 29, 2010, 09:52 PM   #4
The_Stig

+1 for 300MP. I have just started using it for 357 loads in my GP100 6". It meters great and the performance is
Old September 29, 2010, 10:02 PM   #5
GP100man

As for me a SWC

I also hang with the heavy for caliber SWC , under the right conditions a hp wil lose speed enuff to just open & not penetrate.

Agreed placement is the key , bust the air bags !!!!
Old September 30, 2010, 05:52 AM   #6
sourdough44

I shot a deer once with my 6" 357 using 158 grn factory soft points. Penetration was rather poor, who would of thunk. I'd now move on to my 180/185 grn WFN cast with a GC in the 357. My powder would be win-296/H-110 or something close.
Old September 30, 2010, 06:45 AM   #7
sirrah243

Thanks for the replys. I have read that a hard cast RN FP or SWC is a good choice for hunting.

As far as powder goes I will have to see what they have in my area. I've seen H110 but not the 300. I may end up driving to Cabelas.

Can anybody tell me what a gas check bullet is and what advantage it has over a standard bullet?

Thanks
Old September 30, 2010, 07:43 AM   #8
SL1

Sirrah243,

A gascheck bullet is like a regular cast lead bullet, except that, on its base, there is a copper covering that extends up the bullet shank about 1/8" or so. It protects the base of the bullet from hot gases, and helps seal the bore so that gases don't get by the bullet. Both of those effects help stop the lead from sticking to the bore. In addition, there is some thought that the gas check actually scrapes lead off the bore as it is the last part of the bullet to pass through.

Bullets designed for gas checks are cast with a reduced diameter for a short section of their bases, sort of like a lube groove that extends to the base of the bullet. The gas check slides over that area, bringing that part of the bullet to full diameter. There should be a small gap between the gas check and the full-diameter part of the bullet, which usually gets filled with lube.

Gas checked bullets can often solve leading problems in guns that have that problem with plain-based lead bullets. They can usually be shot at higher velocities without leading. However, gas checks usually increase pressure, compared to plain-based bullets of the same design and lead alloy.

SL1