The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 16, 1999, 07:02 PM   #1
45 Fan

Hi to all...What does the group in general think of CCI large pistol primers? I usually use WLP but got a good deal on a flat of CCI. Will they work as well as WLP in .38 and .45 target loads? ....Thanks 45 Fan
Old August 16, 1999, 08:12 PM   #2
Grayfox

I've pretty much interchanged CCI and Winchester primers for years. Just depended on what was currently avalible. Never had any sort of problems. Loads made with both work fine and seem to be equally accurate.
Old August 16, 1999, 08:49 PM   #3
CCV

I have used CCI and never had a problem. It seems Winchester primers install a little easier so I have standardized on them.

Both will get the job done.
Old August 17, 1999, 10:15 AM   #4
JoeHatley

I used to use CCI primers, but my closest store was almost always out of them. They worked fine when I could get them. I switched to Winchesters, which were in stock much more often. Started having some mis-fires with one pistol. Switched again to Federal's, via mailorder and have used them ever since. I'm on my third case.... Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old August 17, 1999, 02:14 PM   #5
Rod WMG

Joe,

That's interesting about the misfires with the Winchester primers. Was that with the new brass colored ones? I never had any problems with the old nickled primers and neither did any of my friends. But since Winchester went to the newer, "more senstive primers," I had a misfire a couple of days ago and another pard has had several lately. we may have to rethink our primer situation.

Does anyone know if Winchester has a site to receive e-mail complaints?
Old August 17, 1999, 02:48 PM   #6
sjones

I use cci primers both for my 9mm and my 45colt. they work fine,haven't any troule with them at all.
Old August 17, 1999, 06:59 PM   #7
Peter M. Eick

I also have switched to CCI recently. I was a die hard winchester user because seirra told me they were the softest cup and gave the best pressure signs. This was great up until my most recent batch, (brass cups I think) which started to occasionally mis-fire. I did not think much about it, figuring it was just a bad batch of primers. My local store was out of winchester so I tried CCI instead. Seems interchangable, and they are a bit tighter in some of my older brass. They also are a bit wider because they fit my 10mm (winchester) brass tight, while my last win primers were starting to get loose. I was about to deep 6 the lot of 10 mm brass because of loose primer, but with cci's I should be able to get a few more full loads before I scrap them.

pete
Old August 17, 1999, 07:50 PM   #8
JoeHatley

Rod, you are exactly correct. My problems with the Winchester primers started when they changed to the "new, more sensitive" brass colored cups. Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old August 19, 1999, 09:32 PM   #9
bfoster

Rod WMG... Go to http://winchester.com/contactus/index.html Fill out the form and send it.

This is the ammunition division, but the site does deal with components. If you fail to get a satisfactory response, please repost & I'll e-mail you the phone # of powder chemist at Olin/St. Marks who has been helpful to me in the past. He may not himself be able to help you directly, but I'll bet one of his co-workers can give you an explanation, and information about what is being done to solve the problem.
Old August 19, 1999, 09:38 PM   #10
fremont

CCI primers always worked fine until I got a Dillon press. Now, they won't work in the primer tubes which pick them up from a flip tray. I've since switched to Win or Federal.
Old August 19, 1999, 10:23 PM   #11
Rod WMG

bfoster, thanks, man. I sent them the complaint just now.
Old August 24, 1999, 11:17 PM   #12
Big Bunny

Would never use CCI again as I had problems with CCI large rifle primers in a 30/30W in competition and lost a lot of points. They just didn't have enough priming compound in them to fire reliably. I found the problem with a magnifying class and returned them to the dealer with a letter and batch # etc. I expected a reply from the US, but never got one, so winchester or federal for me every time now.
We havn't got the new copper Winchester ones over here yet, but thanks for the warning.
Old August 28, 1999, 06:14 PM   #13
TEXAS LAWMAN

45 FAN asked if the large primers would work as well in his .38 and .45. Absolutely not in the .38 which requires a small pistol primer. I do have a few 50 year old Win target loads which have a large primer but that is a rarity in .38 Special.

I appreciate the info on the new Win primers--hadn't heard that. I've used tens of thousands of Federal & CCI primers for 30 years and never had problems. Originally went to Fed primers cause had a competetion .38 which wouldn't consistently fire other brands. I just kept buying them. Back during the primer "shortage" 4-5 yrs ago I bought bunches of CCI. No problems.
Old August 28, 1999, 08:30 PM   #14
Rocky Road
Retired Screen Name

I used many thousands of CCI primers with full satisfaction. Occasionally made excursions into use of Federal brand, buying cartons of five, 1K boxes thereafter, but that had to do with a cheaper source of those. I was doing a lot of IPSC shooting with .45 ACP, and was always on the scout for a more economical way.

Then I got my Dillon 550B loader and the company cautioned against use of CCI primers in their auto primer feed. I observed this caution and used Winchester almost exclusively, with the occasional thousand or so of Remington, also with full satisfaction.

Three or four years ago, a friend came up with a BUNCH of old CCI primers and gave me a box of a thousand. These were in the old green and black checkerboard box, like the company, Cascade Cartridge Industries (how many of you knew THAT??) back in the sixties when I started loading. I don't know when they changed the box design, but the primers could easily have been 30 years old. I momentarily forgot the Dillon caution, and used these old primers in the 550B. Nary a glitch.

JPG

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---
Old September 1, 1999, 08:40 AM   #15
CHAINSAW

I mainly use CCI 250 magnum primers in my "ball type" powder loads and never had a malfunction.

YOUR BROTHER IN ARMS---------CHAINSAW