The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 21, 1999, 09:30 AM   #1
Fisher

I just recently pick up a Kimber 14 round polymer and a desert eagle (baby eagle) in 45 ACP. Since I reload for all my other rifles and pistols I thought I would do the same for these. The question is, does anyone have any suggestions on loads for these guns. All my other pistols are used for hunting. These pistols will only be used for mainly target and maybe a bowling pin tournament from time to time.

I am interested in what powder, how much powder, and what brand of primers everyone likes to use.I will probably stay with the 230 grain bullet but I am open to suggestions for that also.

Any information will be greatly appriciated. By the way, These two guns are fantastic to shoot.
Old August 21, 1999, 10:44 AM   #2
Macoute

I have had very good luck with a 230 gr. LRN over 4.8 grains of winchester 231 seated to 1.257 inches. I use Winchester primers. Good luck.
Old August 21, 1999, 11:15 AM   #3
Patrick Graham

Here's some chrono data for 45acp that I
logged a few weeks ago.
The UMC ammo is about mil spec so you would
need about 5.7 grains of 231 with a 230 gr
fmj to duplicate mil spec.

45acp UMC (Rem.) 230 gr FMJ Factory ammo
818, 819, 823, 821, 828

45acp, 230 gr FMJ, 5.6 gr WW231, WLP
805, 811, 821, 802, 795
Old August 21, 1999, 09:40 PM   #4
fremont

You may want to consider flat points for pin shooting, as many believe that you get a better "bite" with them. Hornady offers a 230 gr jacketed FP which shares the reloading data with the 230 FMJ, although the overall length is different. A few lead cast bullet mfgs. also make bullets which are supposedly designed for pin shooting. In general, invest in at least three good reloading manuals. IMHO, you need at least three because there is a fair variation among publishers. I also think that the bullet companies--Speer, Hornady, etc.--do a better job with their manuals over the powder companies, since the bullet companies are forced to cover a wide variety of powder mfgs.

On the primer front, I stick with Win or Fed, instead of CCI, because I use a Dillon, and the CCIs raise hell with it. Good luck.