The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 20, 2012, 07:17 AM   #1
duelist1954

Track of the Wolf Bucks County rifle kit - Update #3

Here's a progress report on building Track of the Wolf's Bucks County flintlock rifle kit. In this update I'll move the barrel back in it's channel so the future position of the touch hole lines up properly with the priming pan. Then I'll fit the breech plug and tang to the barrel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ir8roD-cVg
Old December 20, 2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Pahoo

Interesting !!

I've noticed in your past videos that you have used red lipstick. I'll have to try this as I usually use colored chalk and sometimes, pencil lead. There were a few steps that went pretty fast and I will have to go back and review ...

Qustions;
1) When you hacksawed the breach plug, what steps do you take to try and stay squared?

2) What Anit-siez do you use of recommend?

Once again, thank you for your post and;
Be Safe !!!
Old December 20, 2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

What a great video on technique. I knew there were things that had to be done to fit a barrel properly to its stock channel and plug. But I just didn't know how to go about it. Or then again I needed a full blown machine shop in my basement to accomplish the tasks. (Which by any means I couldn't afford.) Well Mike. I do know now. I've been hesitant to buy any kit rifle and perhaps chance a screw up. But you Sir while watching your video gave me a little extra confidence "I can do that!! What He just did." Now I'm anxious to see that next video. Keep them video's coming Michael. The more I can pick up and learn. When that day comes to putting my chosen kit flint rifle together for the very first time. The easier it will be no doubt. Bonus: I'll have your video/s to fall back on if need be in TFLF thread library. That's a comforting thought. Thank you Mike & Seasons Greetings.

S/S
Old December 20, 2012, 03:09 PM   #4
duelist1954

Hi Pahoo,

The tape keeps me square. I'm pretty anal about getting the tape line perfect. Then I cut slowly. If I stray I want to stray high and file down to the tape line. In this case, the cut went as well as I could want. I didn't have to file at all.

I used to use Phil Woods bicycle bearing grease, but lately I've been using choke tube grease as my anti sieze.