The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 20, 2011, 11:50 AM   #1
joeranger

Converting 1100 Magnum w/Iron Sights to...

I ended up with an old Rem 1100 Magnum my father in law used for deer hunting. 30in barrel w/full choke with iron sights attached to the rib.
Front sight is a tall skinny pin 1/2 in off the rib. Rear sight is a wide sight with a small notch.

Reading other threads, these sights need precise adjustment. In the 15 years I hunted with my Father in law, he never took a shot, so I have no idea if they are accurate. Going to the range will be interesting

What is the best use for this gun "as is"?

How would I convert this gun to
- 1st gun for a new shooter (13 yo son)
- skeet gun (new barrel/bead sight)
- Deerslayer w/optics
- Home defense/Zombie hoard
- Bird gun

Getting this gun prevents me from buying a gun for a while. It counts as a "purchase" even though I didn't really want it. I did not see any resale value so I am better off keeping it and converting it to a single purpose gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1100 sights.jpg (14.6 KB, 47 views)
Old September 20, 2011, 12:01 PM   #2
oneounceload

First gun, skeet gun, bird gun - one barrel - 28" or so, Rem chokes would be helpful

Deer slayer/HD - one barrel, about 20inches or so

The issue becomes, can the magnum version easily handle light target loads - which is for your first gun/skeet/bird version.

It may or may not
Old September 20, 2011, 12:37 PM   #3
zippy13

It seems the gun has "rib rider" type sights -- a common conversion for deer guns. If you never saw it fired, how, how do you know if they have been zeroed?

You could remove the rib rider iron sights and use the gun, with the 30" barrel, for trap shooting. And, you might consider getting a general purpose 28" vent-rib barrel with screw-in chokes.

An advantage of the 1100 platform is the availability of parts. Changing barrels and/or stocks, you can easily accomplish any of the activities you mentioned.
Old September 20, 2011, 12:46 PM   #4
PetahW

AFAIK, an 1100 Magnum will only handle 3" mags, and not cycle 2-3/4" shells - but "might" work them OK with a barrel change from a one gas port mag bbl to a two port std bbl.

Old October 20, 2011, 10:41 AM   #5
joeranger

Is gunbroker the best place for discount parts? new/used barrel and stock?
midwayusa seemed pricey
Old October 25, 2011, 05:52 PM   #6
sheepman

I have an 1100 12ga magnum with a 28" barrel, modified choke and 3" chamber. I also have a 26" barrel with a 2& 3/4" chamber with rem chokes. I works great with trap loads with the 26" barrel. I found the 26" barrel locally for $80. There are used barrels out there you just have to look. The magnum 1100 takes the same barrels as the standard 1100, you just can't shoot 3" in it. Also some heavy 2&3/4" loads will cycle in the 3" barrel but not light trap loads.
Old October 25, 2011, 07:18 PM   #7
vaskeet

The 2 3/4 barrels have two holes for gas and the 3 inch has one on some 2 3/4 inch guns the barrel has 1 large hole. The 3 inch receiver will work just fine with a 2 3/4 barrel. make sure magazine tube is clean and dry as oil will cause it to collect powder residue and cause malfunctions. I clean it with steel wool then sprey on a coat of dry lube and wipe it off check the O ring for cracks and replace. Randy

Tags
1100 , sights