The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 25, 2010, 10:49 PM   #1
3leggeddog

Powder for a .357

My Lyman #55 powder measuer doesnt consistently drop the same gr. of powder with Unique,but does good with Bullseye. My question is what other powders are "Ball Powder" that will work good for a .357 and .38 special ???
Or what will measuer consistently for me ?? Thanks for your help...
Old September 25, 2010, 11:14 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

WW 231 is fantastic for .38 Special and for mid-power .357 loads.

For full power .357 I use WW 296.

Other powders that will work equally well are HP38 and H110, AAs 2, 5, 7, and 9, and I suspect that Hodgdon Universal or Clays would also be a good choice.

I recently started loading 7.5 grains of Universal in my .45 Long Colt and am very pleased with the results.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 26, 2010, 12:11 AM   #3
Sport45

My Lyman 55 works very well with extruded rifle powders but choked big-time on TAC. I haven't tried it with handgun powders. How bad is its repeatability with Unique? My experience is that +/- 0.2 gr of Unique gives me about the same accuracy spread as +/- 0.1gr of other pistol powders. When I set up the powder measure on my 550b with Unique I don't weigh single charges. I'll throw 5 or so into my powder pan and set the measure so the average of the throws is correct.
Old September 26, 2010, 12:35 AM   #4
zxcvbob

If it works with Bullseye, it'll work with Power Pistol. They are the same powder except for the burn rate.

WSF is a good powder for both .357 and .38, but there's no published load data for it. You have to just use Herco load data and be careful.

AA#7 is one of my favorite powders for heavy loads in .357 with cast bullets. I haven't tried it in .38 because I know it's really too slow (about like Blue Dot) -- but it will work. AA#7 measures about like water.
Old September 26, 2010, 12:46 AM   #5
NWPilgrim

Winchester 231 (or Hodgdon HP38) is a great fast powder for light-medium loads in both cartridges. Hodgdon Universal is a medium burning flake but much smaller than those in Unique.

W296/H110 is also a ball powder, and on the slow end for the magnum loads.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 26, 2010, 01:19 AM   #6
The_Stig

Alliant’s new 300MP meters better than any other pistol powder I have ever used. 21 grains behind a 125 grain JHP just fills the case with no compression. Impressive velocity too.