The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 30, 2005, 05:54 PM   #51
S.E.R.T.SGT

Yeah, no brainer. If's he got a sword, I've got my gun on him...

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lighting they
Do not go gently into that good night.

Dylan Thomas

S.E.R.T.SGT
Old June 9, 2005, 09:28 PM   #52
Limeyfellow

Usually I found that most the people who go nuts with swords that we see on the news are usually wannabes with mental problems. They usually buy one or more of those swords you find for display. They tend to be cheap steel, but yes its going to still do horrendous damage as long as it doesn't hit anything too hard and bend some. Its highly unlikely you are ever going to be attacked by a skilled swordsman anymore.
Old June 10, 2005, 01:35 PM   #53
Sulaco2

We have had two deputies killed with swords in the last 15 years! And another nut stood off the entire city department in broad daylight for nearly 6 hours not long ago...city police were afraid to use force, go figure.
Old June 10, 2005, 06:27 PM   #54
WOD

Maniacs are not mere mortals

Was Deputy Herzog carrying a powerful brand of pepper spray or was it a weaker formula so he wouldn't have to baby sit a crying slobbering perp he sprayed.

Maybe you missed this part of what I said : "LEO strength pepper spray".
Quote:
When I stated that merely drawing a gun may not stop someone, that doesn't necessarily mean they should go for the pepper spray.

That's contradictory enough to cover all of your bases. And some say you can't have it both ways.
Quote:
Carry the best product available and use common sense as to whether lethal force is really necessary. In some cases it will be and will be the only thing to save your life. Maintain a respect for all life though and don't be so quick to escalate. Your life will be much less complicated

The lesson that Deputy Herzog's situation teaches (some of us) is that giving the benefit of the doubt to a murderer can get one killed.
------------------------Well Said------------------------------

I have sprayed myself both with Mace on a dare and Pepper Spray(Pepper Mace Bear Spray)on accident trying to protect myself from an angry raccoon and I can tell you that on any normal Joe walking down the street, "It will incapacitate you!" I was barely able to breath, or see for what felt like forever, and I had a headache for 2 days. With the bear spray I made the mistake of urinating shortly afterwards and I burned down there for half a day. The pepper mace bear spray was by far, longer lasting as it burned the skin and was hard to get off. I had to stay in a cold tub of water for a day to reduce the pain.

When I watch real life videos like cops and shows like Mad Dog the Bounty Hounter and I see these crazy criminals get a mouthful of mace and still beat down the guy spraying them it makes me realize their are guys out there who just dont have a reaction to pain like normal humans. They are either lacking in nerve endings or so angry and doped up, they dont feel it either way. This being said, due to fear of litigation, I will always resort to Bear Mace as first option and my gun as second and final solution if the BG is armed but not packing a firearm. I urge anyone thinking of using sprays to try them out and spray themselves at least once to understand the effects and to be prepared in case you get it on yourself.

Best Regards,

WOD
Old June 11, 2005, 11:34 AM   #55
calishooter

taser not peper spray for me

if I was going to try to stop a man with a sword in a nonleathel way(witch I would not)I would use a taser with at least a 20 foot range.peper spray has been known to have no effect on people on even the lightest of drugs or alcohol.
Old June 12, 2005, 09:39 AM   #56
Jack Malloy

I would argue that at close range a good sword is probably THE most effective CQB weapon ever invented, as you can use it much faster than a sawed off shotgun, and it has more "stopping power" and lethality than just about any handgun.

While most swords out there are flee market junk sold on ebay with rat tail tangs and untempered blades, the fact is that because of excellent bladesmiths and the increased interest in the replicas market, there are probably more good quality swords out there than ever before. My house is full of them, from makers all over the world and the USA.
With a good rolled point edge a single sweep can take off a limb as fast as the hand can swing the blade, most of which are around 3 pounds or less.
The reason I carry a handgun instead of a sword is simple. They are more concealable.
Howver a gladuius, or shortsword could be concealed under a trench coat. And in all honesty, were I to lose my vision, there are two companies that make excellent sword canes that hold ninja type striaght samurai blades inside them, that I would use for a walking stick.
Most hardcore sword enthusiasts are a lot like gun enthusiasts. Decent, rule obeying, law abiding folk. But just as a bad guy can get ahold of a Glock or Smith or HK he can also get ahold of a Del Tin, a Paul Chen or an Atrim.
A man with a sword and homicidal intent is just as dangerous as a man with a shotgun or a meat cleaver or a fire axe. Personally I would not rely on pepperspray in that situation.
Old June 12, 2005, 01:04 PM   #57
WOD

Did you watch Max X yesterday

I was watching Max Ex, the show that showcase extreme accidents and idiocy. There was a master swordsman who was showing off how proficient his sword swing was and had his student put a cucumber on his stomach while the master sliced it neatly in half. This worked without incident, but the next slice required the student to put the cucumber on his throat. The teacher did his neat little slice, but this time the students throat split open when the cucumber fell to the ground. The master wipes the blood off his sword and leaves the student to walk away and didnt even help him when he collapsed from the wound. It was a very small measured slice, but it looked like it cut the students throat wide open. I definitely would not want to be faced by that kind of weapon and I definitely would ask for a refund from that dojo.
Old June 12, 2005, 09:09 PM   #58
Fred Hansen

Quote:
I definitely would not want to be faced by that kind of weapon and I definitely would ask for a refund from that dojo.
By telephone.

"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore