The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 4, 2013, 03:39 PM   #1
tahunua001

Ruger SR45 is here gentlemen

for all of you guys that have been waiting for the SR9/40 to release in 45 ACP...

Here you go.

ammo capacity is much lower than I expected for a service sized pistol but this bad boy looks like it has everything that SR series shooters have been waiting for in a 45 ACP.
Old January 4, 2013, 04:37 PM   #2
testuser

Pretty comparable to the M&P .45 in form and mag capacity. Still, 4 ounces heavier than a Glock 21 with two fewer rounds.
Old January 4, 2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Uncle Malice

That's 3 fewer rounds than the Glock 21.
Old January 4, 2013, 04:43 PM   #4
testuser

Whoops, sorry...3 fewer. I have a Glock 20, which holds 2 more than the G21, must have mixed me up.

I also noticed that Ruger isn't listing the a DA/SA .45, anymore...was that the P345? (Sorry, if I got the model incorrect.) Has it been discontinued?
Old January 4, 2013, 05:06 PM   #5
tahunua001

Quote:
however they have no night sight option which blows and not much of an after market goodies following
Ruger sells trijicons for the SR series and midway had several options last I knew. many companies don't offer night sights as a factory option. as for aftermarket, they do not have the same support as others but for a design that's only been around for 5 years it's doing quite well for itself. crossbreed holsters offers lots of CCW holster options for the SR series and ruger factory mags, grip extensions, and other little goodies are easy enough to come by at just about any sporting goods store.
Old January 4, 2013, 07:35 PM   #6
915A

Nice! Man the 40c was my next buy, but a 45c? HMMMMMM
Old January 4, 2013, 07:46 PM   #7
tahunua001

Quote:
Nice! Man the 40c was my next buy, but a 45c? HMMMMMM
sorry, no C yet but with the number of peoplethat have been waiting for this the compact will probably follow soon.
Old January 4, 2013, 07:48 PM   #8
TMD

Yippie.....just what the world needs, another plastic gun to hit the market.
Old January 4, 2013, 08:00 PM   #9
tahunua001

was there anything in there designed to add continuity to the conversation or do you just live to put down new gun designs?

I bash on a lot of guns but I never do it based on what they are made out of.

I have never seen a glockaholic enter a 1911 and bash the 1911 for the sole reason that it's metal so why would you enter a SR45 thread with nothing to contribute but hate towards plastic? I can think of things much more worthy of hatred.
Old January 4, 2013, 08:14 PM   #10
915A

Quote:
sorry, no C yet but with the number of people that have been waiting for this the compact will probably follow soon.
Oh I am sure it will soon. My 9c just keeps getting better and better, so a .40 or 45 in the SR seems like a logical choice to me.
Old January 4, 2013, 08:25 PM   #11
BOBA FETT

Ruger sr10mm
Old January 4, 2013, 09:06 PM   #12
TMD

Quote:
was there anything in there designed to add continuity to the conversation or do you just live to put down new gun designs?

I bash on a lot of guns but I never do it based on what they are made out of.

I have never seen a glockaholic enter a 1911 and bash the 1911 for the sole reason that it's metal so why would you enter a SR45 thread with nothing to contribute but hate towards plastic? I can think of things much more worthy of hatred.
So what your saying is its ok for you to bash a gun for what it is but someone else can't bash because of what its made of?

FYI, my comment was meant purly as sarcasim. After all the SR line of pistols have been out for what, 5 or 6 years now? You would think they would have released a .45 version within the first year or two.
Old January 4, 2013, 09:11 PM   #13
tahunua001

they've been a little preoccupied with a crippling demand for the SR1911 and SR556s...kindof a big deal when you have to expand production lines and stop taking orders for 6 months.

EDIT: if I recall correctly glock was making it's line of handguns for almost a decade before they released a 45ACP variant.

Last edited by tahunua001; January 4, 2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old January 4, 2013, 09:27 PM   #14
K_Mac

While the world probably doesn't need another "plastic" gun, or more sarcasm for that matter, I think this is another winner for Ruger. Announcing new guns when demand for the current line is not being met seems a little over-ambitious, but they continue to do a lot of things right without my input...

FWIW if I had the extra cash I would order one of these tomorrow.
Old January 4, 2013, 09:37 PM   #15
Armybrat

Since I gifted my SR9 to my son, I'll be picking up an SR45 whenever they are available.
Old January 4, 2013, 10:52 PM   #16
Super Sneaky Steve

I noticed the P345 is gone. R.I.P.

I'll take a gun with a real hammer over a funky glock wanna-be any day.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:08 PM   #17
tahunua001

that's OK Super Sneaky Steve. I too was surprised when I saw it was gone. I kindof wish that they would redesign and reintroduce the P89 with the SR style safety instead of the beretta style myself but what are you gonna do?

as to the claims of a "Glock wanna be" I am starting to get quite tired of pointing out the idiotic nature of that phrase and how ignorant every user of that phrase really is so for now I'll just let you have that one...

please try to keep posts relevant to the OP and firearm discussed there-in
Old January 5, 2013, 12:31 AM   #18
ScotchMan

There also seems to be a new SR1911, a 4.25" barreled version with one less round capacity. Don't know if that is as new as the SR45, but I am noticing it for the first time.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old January 5, 2013, 01:09 AM   #19
tahunua001

there are several new listings that were not there last time I checked, they probably added them all at the beginning of the year to try and sneak them in before shotshow so they wouldn't have the same fiasco the did last year with the SR1911 and all of the demand hitting them at once.
the P345 is gone, the 22/45 LITE is now a fluted black anodized version that is a lot more appealing than the gold anodized cutout model(at least to me anyway). the ruger Gunsite is now available in stainless and a number of calibers have been kicked from their number 1 rifle lineups are just a few of the changes I've noticed today.
Old January 5, 2013, 02:46 AM   #20
warningshot

Ruger's SR Series convinced me to BOAT dollars on RGR stock. It is the only U.S. firearms stock I'd buy today.
Now if they would just come out with a SR series in 7.62X25....
Old January 5, 2013, 03:28 AM   #21
Redhawk5.5+P+

BOBA FETT #12

Quote:
Ruger sr10mm
OK? If you could fit a 10mm cartridge in an SR40 mag I think it could be made from a .40cal barrel, or not.

Quote:
Ruger's SR Series convinced me to BOAT dollars on RGR stock. It is the only U.S. firearms stock I'd buy today.
Now if they would just come out with a SR series in 7.62X25....
Get a barrel blank for an SR9, I think it could be done.
Old January 5, 2013, 08:30 AM   #22
LockedBreech

Helped a buddy pick an SR9 for his first gun and I was impressed. Very comfortable, very reliable.

Happy to see the SR45.
Old January 5, 2013, 09:35 AM   #23
ccwnut

Don't get me wrong

I really do like this gun!However, given that it's a full-size gun, I'll try to hold out for the compact version. However, the SR9C is on my "buy list" for this year. I really hope the SR45c premieres, and soon. Then I plan on being among the first to order it!
Old January 5, 2013, 10:44 AM   #24
Dashunde

With only ten rounds in the SR45, I'd opt for the 15 round SR40 instead.
At $425 the SR40 seems to be a great value as a nightstand or truck gun.
Old January 5, 2013, 10:52 AM   #25
ScotchMan

Quote:
there are several new listings that were not there last time I checked, they probably added them all at the beginning of the year to try and sneak them in before shotshow so they wouldn't have the same fiasco the did last year with the SR1911 and all of the demand hitting them at once.
the P345 is gone, the 22/45 LITE is now a fluted black anodized version that is a lot more appealing than the gold anodized cutout model(at least to me anyway). the ruger Gunsite is now available in stainless and a number of calibers have been kicked from their number 1 rifle lineups are just a few of the changes I've noticed today.
I think the Guide Gun is new too. And a Compact Ruger American Rifle is new. And an LC380 pistol, looks like an LC9 sized .380. And a 6 shot 22 WMRF LCR. And a two tone SR22, and a threaded one.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member