The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 20, 2013, 12:25 AM   #1
rc

Door To Door Searches and Civil Rights?

I understand why police did door to door searches in Bostom but was this police action constitutional?
Old April 20, 2013, 12:32 AM   #2
armoredman

From what very little information I have read, not a chance, IF it went down as described, with cops bursting into homes and tearing through, searching every room. I don't know what MA law says, but in my state, those officers would be facing huge penalties both personal and departmental.
Old April 20, 2013, 12:41 AM   #3
maestro pistolero

They were knocking and asking, as I understand it. I doubt they had many refusals.
Old April 20, 2013, 07:21 AM   #4
geetarman

Considering the situation, I think the police did the right thing. I have heard no reports of breaking down doors and forced entry.

Carpe Cerveza
Old April 20, 2013, 07:31 AM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

I've not had a chance to review many police reports, but I haven't read anything that would indicate that the "door to door searches" were anything but consensual.

If someone has a news story from a reliable source that spells it out, please post a link. Otherwise, it's still just all speculation.
Old April 20, 2013, 08:17 AM   #6
shortwave

Door to door grid search's by LE are nothing new when looking for criminals. Especially in this set of circumstance's.

With respect, instead of focusing on the job LE did in this situation(which IMO was exemplary) don't you feel our attention would be better focused on the constitutionality of the restrictive gun laws in Mass.

I know had I been a resident in that area ( especially if I had my family living with me) while these two terrorist were at large I would not want the government dictating to me what kind of gun , how many rounds of ammo or how big of magazine/clip I was aloud to have to defend my family in case the terrorist came calling to my home for a place of refuge.

Too, since this same terrorist situation could happen anywhere in the U.S. in the future, I hope our gov'n. is considering this whilst they are so feverishly working and have promised further disarmament of the law abiding American people.
Old April 20, 2013, 08:26 AM   #7
cvc944

I thought about how I would feel. I quickly decided I wouldn't like it, but would agree to the search nonetheless. I never thought this monster would be found in a boat in a driveway. I thought he would be found in a house with a hostage. Someone who would drop an exploding bag of death at the feet of an 8 year old child really, really needs to be found, regardless of method or etiquette.
Old April 20, 2013, 08:36 AM   #8
shortwave

Quote:
I thought he would be found in a house with a hostage.
My thoughts as well cvc944....and I was praying that if he did go to a house for refuge /hostages that he was met by someone at the house smart enough to be armed and would have the opportunity to fend the terrorist off.
Old April 20, 2013, 09:07 AM   #9
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
From what very little information I have read, not a chance,
Okay, you are going to have to provide some citations, because like Spats noted, I haven't seen anything where anyone has indicated to the contrary. So you have seen the information that is contrary, please share.
Old April 20, 2013, 09:17 AM   #10
Qtiphky

My thoughts exactly Shortwave. How many of those people didn't have/weren't allowed to have guns to defend themselves? Dictated by draconian laws. I hope all this nonsense about guns goes away, but unfortunatley it won't and we will need to remain vigilant, literally at every corner from now on.
Old April 20, 2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Salmoneye

If a LEO can not take my word that there is no one in my house that should not be there and that I am not harboring a criminal, then they can stand on the stoop till they have a warrant describing their probable cause, and exactly what they are searching for...

I also firmly believe that by declaring de facto 'martial law' by not allowing citizens out and about, the police made their job that much harder by denying themselves the benefit of an extra couple hundred thousand eyes and ears on the streets...

The police did not locate this schmuck...A vigilant citizen that knew his own back yard like the back of his hand did...
Old April 20, 2013, 09:43 AM   #12
Webleymkv

Perhaps Frank or Spats could enlighten us, but I would think that an argument could be made that this particular situation constituted exigent circumstances and thus justified searches without warrants even is some were performed without consent.

As to MA gun laws, that is a very valid point. I know that I certainly wouldn't have the warm and fuzzies from knowing that there is an armed, dangerous suspected terrorist on the loose in my neighborhood and that I could neither leave nor have the adequate means to defend myself from said threat.
Old April 20, 2013, 10:25 AM   #13
Spats McGee
Staff

I'll be happy to expound on that, when we get something more than speculation. When that happens, let's just open a new thread.