The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 5, 2009, 09:01 AM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Mitchell's Mausers

Are their items as nice looking once purchased as they are in the advertisements?
Brent
Old October 5, 2009, 01:31 PM   #2
SigP6Carry

I've not ordered from them, but from what I've read about them (when I was considering getting a Mauser) was that they overcharge for their guns and restamp their receivers. I'm sure their guns are great and look great, but they are really knocked down from being collector grade by what they do to make them more appealing. You're better off ordering a Mauser or Mauser style gun from a place like AIM, J&G, SOG and Simpson's than Mitchell's, just because you pay less for a more original piece.
Old October 5, 2009, 02:40 PM   #3
tater134

If youre looking for a pretty mauser Im sure theyre fine but from a collectors point of view theyre worthless.The rifles they sell are refinished and pimp shined and Ive heard that they restamp many of their parts.If youre looking for an original k98 to collect you can get one much cheaper elsewhere.If youre just looking for a shiny shooter then the mitchells should fit the bill.
Old October 5, 2009, 03:03 PM   #4
gunney 67

Mitchell's Mausers

Plus they are some of the rudest people I've talked to in this industry. I won't be buying anything from them.
Old October 5, 2009, 04:33 PM   #5
mp25ds4

they look as nice in real life as they do in the pictures but you better off looking for a gun on gunbroker.com because you'll be able to find one for a better price. and im pretty sure they refurbish the guns, so if your not worried about collector value then all you have to worry about is price
Old October 5, 2009, 05:37 PM   #6
CGSteve8718

Yes they do look that pretty, if that is what you want. Collector value isn't knocked down, it is completely devoid. Read about Mitchell's over at surplusrifleforum.

I will never buy from them because I actually like history, and they are a travesty to collectors of historical rifles. I have no idea how they are in the BBB with their dishonest ads and why they are advertised on the HC when they do little to preserve it.
Old October 5, 2009, 06:48 PM   #7
Sabot

I wanted to buy one because they look so nice in the picture instead of the beaters that I see for sale on web-sites. Since I live in CA they won't sell directly to a C&R licence holder in-state, so I found one on Gunbroker. The gun looks absolutely beautiful. I don't care about being a purist, i'm very satisfied with my "brand new looking" Mitchell's Mauser.
Old October 5, 2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Tom2

I know of one guy that said he bought one a few years ago from them, it had a problem, he sent it back and was at wits end trying to get it fixed and returned. He did not like the dealings he had and disposed of it when received. They just seem too good to be true to me just from looking at the ads. If you want to overspend for superficial redone cosmetics, go for it. You might be able to get a surplus Yugo cheaper and fix it up yourself to look ultra pristine if it does not already, and save alot of cash.
Old October 5, 2009, 09:39 PM   #9
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Bought a Yugo M48 from them a few years ago. The rifle itself is in nice condition. Another friend ordered one at the same time I did and the barrel on the inside was pitted/corroded so bad the borelight couldn't make it halfway through. Mitchell's told him it would "clean up after firing a couple dozen rounds through it". I was embarrassed I recommended them to him after that debacle.

Quote:
You're better off ordering a Mauser or Mauser style gun from a place like AIM, J&G, SOG and Simpson's than Mitchell's, just because you pay less for a more original piece.
I agree with every suggestion sans Simpson's. Their store is just south of where I live. The customer service (or lack thereof), attitude, abuse they put their guns through, and price are utterly disgusting. I'd rather eat dirt as supper for a week and buy from Mitchell's than deal with Simpson's Limited.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old October 6, 2009, 12:48 AM   #10
SigP6Carry

really? I never heard bad things about simpsons, I simply assumed, given how credible they seem, that they're decent. I believe right now they've got a Vz. 24 for around 150-200. Don't know the condition, but I e-mailed them about it was told to call. Still never got around to it. I'll be sure to stop recommending them till I get some first hand.
Old October 6, 2009, 08:02 AM   #11
Homer2

Mitchells will make you feel better by giving you $400 worth of accessories for FREE!!!!11!

What they don't tell you is that those same accessories come free from the importer. For the rifles that they don't refinish and force match, they just mark up the price by a few hundred dollars. They won't admit that they refinish or force match these, but there are no 'original matching' Soviet capture k98 rifles. They will give you a certificate that says it is, though.

Shop around and you can find dealers that will offer hand pick rifles for a lot less.
Old October 6, 2009, 10:17 AM   #12
gyvel

And the saddest part is that Mitchell's is doing it to Luger pistols now. Oh, and since they are a regular advertiser in both The American Rifleman and Shotgun News, you'll never see a bad word about them in those publications.
Old October 6, 2009, 10:56 AM   #13
bigjack59

I was wondering about their Lugers. Just don't know about buying a firearm from someone that would restamp a rifle and sell it with a "certificate". Is anyone out there sure Mitchells has done this? I am looking at this Luger, thinking it is too good to be true. Hmmm....
Old October 6, 2009, 11:57 AM   #14
johnwilliamson062

I liked the look of their "tankers." A little expensive considering all the mil surplus options, but I would like to have one. Sorry to hear they have problems.
Old October 7, 2009, 07:41 AM   #15
Drachenstein

If you want a nice Luger go to Checkpoint Charlie's or the Luger Forums sale section. Mitchell's? No thanks.
Old October 7, 2009, 09:27 AM   #16
madcratebuilder

Quote:
And the saddest part is that Mitchell's is doing it to Luger pistols now. Oh, and since they are a regular advertiser in both The American Rifleman and Shotgun News, you'll never see a bad word about them in those publications.
One of the reasons I'm not renewing my Shotgun News subscription. Another sign of greed and corruption.
Old October 7, 2009, 09:55 AM   #17
jsmaye

Give them a break - in this age of declining paper magazine revenue, it's hard to turn down a client who springs for a full-page four-color ad. But I suppose some people would rather they go out of business while standing on someone else's principles.
Old October 8, 2009, 10:17 AM   #18
bigjack59

Thanks for the Luger tips! Mitchell's just doesn't look right to me.
Old October 11, 2009, 08:20 PM   #19
Tom2

All their ads read like they are targeting the uninformed, the senile, the vast masses that do not know a Mauser from a Marlin. Their tales remind me of some stuff I hear at gunshows from dirty dealers.
Old October 11, 2009, 08:35 PM   #20
James K
Member In Memoriam

Their ads for the M48's were masterpieces of "not quite" lies. Anyone who wants to know how to deceive the public without actually making fraudulent statements should study those ads.

Jim
Old October 11, 2009, 08:49 PM   #21
Erfurter1937

MM

I did not expect much from my $300.00 Mitchells Kar 98 K service select grade and was very happy with the gun. It shoots great. I did not like the polished bolt so I cold blued. GunBroker and GunsAmerica have some nice ones on as well and they are going up in price for a not so great Russian Capture.....Spend some time searching and you will be surprised at what you can find. A vet bring back is going to cost a lot of $$$$$...
Old October 15, 2009, 03:44 PM   #22
Wulfmann

Mitchell's does not restamp the receiver. They weld over all the numbers on all the other parts, grind them down and stamp the serial number of the receiver on those parts.
They are forgeries pure and simple.

You think you like your clean Mitchell's???? Know that anyone and everyone that knows anything about Mausers considers a Mitchell's buyer and ignorant easily deceived person. Show up at the range and we will be polite but don't expect your opinion to be worth a nickel on gun knowledge.

However, they are safe to shoot and pretty even if wrongly finished.

I have seen people innocently advertising them as all matching all original on GB auctions. Most don't sell but when they do I know someone who is clueless about K98ks has just been hoodwinked and someone else is relieved to have dumped a fake.

Mitchell's makes you believe you don't have to do some research, learn a little something about this important rifle's history because you can trust them.
Bottom line, you can not trust them they sell forgeries for a living.

Wulfmann
Old October 23, 2009, 07:07 PM   #23
zombieslayer

I think G&A just had an article praising them. A friend has a C&R and everyone I know says stay away from Mitchell's. Just heresay, but the concensus around these parts is just buy one somewhere else. You thinkin of huntin hogs with a Mauser??
Old October 24, 2009, 03:34 AM   #24
gyvel

And I'd bet my bottom dollar they advertise in G&A, too.
Old November 2, 2009, 10:20 PM   #25
medalguy

Knowing all about Mitchell's, my son wanted a Mauser he could take out with his friends and shoot at tin cans. I didn't want him to use my nice 98 so I bought him a Mitchell's. We inspected it on receipt and it's everything said here-- refinished, restamped, welded and remarked, etc., but it's clean and headspaced correctly and he wasn't going to destroy my nice Mauser if he dropped it on the rocks.

Well it does shoot well and it's accurate. That's about all I can say good about it.