The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 14, 2020, 10:15 PM   #1
baddarryl

Re Stocking BPS and a few Questions

Hi all. I have become interested in Trap and have a 28” BPS Field gun. It has the selector for single shot or pump action. I read this could be indicative of Browning’s Trap BPS. Did the field models come with this or do I possibly have a re barreled Trap model? I am thinking of putting a Trap stock on it is why I ask. If any of you have put a Trap stock on one is that the only difference?

Also the shotgun seems to have a very slight matte to it maybe over a blued gun so I am unsure of its real origins. It looks blued until close examination. Has anyone else seen this? Is it just the bluing of BPS? It is only slightly dull and the engraving on the barrel is not that crisp. I forget what year mine is. 99 maybe. I will update that later.

For the record I love this gun and am very comfortable with it. Thanks
Old May 15, 2020, 06:36 PM   #2
Pahoo

Great older shotgun

Quote:
I read this could be indicative of Browning’s Trap BPS.
I too have one of these and have been told the same as you. Now then, I am no expert on the BPS's as such but know mine very well. Mine has the original field grade, that I'm in the process of replacing it. The new one is different than the original and will requires some fitting. I nothing special about the original but perhaps that's how they were, back then …..

Be Safe !!!
Old May 17, 2020, 10:07 AM   #3
reloder56

Browning BPS Field Grade

I have a Browning BPS Field grade 12 GA. that I purchased BNIB in 1978. At that time all the BPS models came standard with the magazine cut off you describe. My BPS came with a 28" vent rib barrel with "Modified" choke. I later purchased a 30" Full choke barrel for trap shooting and a 24" slug barrel with rifle sights for deer hunting. When I lived in Illinois, that shotgun served as my upland game gun, my deer gun and my trap gun. Still have it to this day.
Gary