The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 2, 2016, 01:07 AM   #1
ditchpanther

Help on Building an AR

Was looking into buying an AR. But might opt to build one instead. I have never owned one before so don't know much about them. If I build one, it will be based off of youtube videos on how exactly to do it.

Questions:
1. Do I need specific tools if I go with a complete upper and a complete lower?
2. Correct me if I'm wrong, the parts I will need are... complete upper, complete lower, bolt carrier group, and charging handle?
3. Am I too ambitious to try this without any AR experience, or is it pretty much just piecing those parts together once I get them shipped?
4. Budget is around $1000 or so, not including optics. PSA and BCM have been mentioned on here before. Any other brands I should research for building my own?
5. Can you mix a BCM upper with a PSA lower and get the same results?

Any other info you would be willing to share would be great.
Old January 2, 2016, 01:28 AM   #2
Quentin2

Pinning a quality AR upper on a quality lower should work well with no tools required. The hard part is putting in the research before buying anything. That includes knowing yourself and knowing what you really want.

BCM sells excellent uppers and you can expect one to fit a PSA lower - or vice versa. I've built five ARs and each upper will function on each lower but some are better mates, fit and finish wise. My BCM upper is better than my PSA upper but the PSA was a couple hundred less without sacrificing much. I've never been sorry I built my ARs since I put a lot of thought into it and got exactly what I wanted.

Sometimes a complete upper comes with a BCG and charging handle, sometimes not so find out for sure. Same goes for iron sights.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
Old January 2, 2016, 02:03 AM   #3
rickyrick

With what you have planned, the only tools needed would be a cleaning kit... plus whatever you need for your particular optic.... Allen head or torx...Many times the tool comes with the mount or optic.
I'd go with the PSA with an FN barrel, but I own one and I am biased towards it.
Old January 2, 2016, 02:31 AM   #4
marine6680

A complete upper and lower require no tools.

Part of the field strip for cleaning an AR requires you to separate the upper and lower. It's two push pins, very easy. So if you can clean an AR, you can put a separate upper and lower together...

Building an AR from parts is not hard with some basic mechanical knowhow, good instructions to follow... and the proper tools and work bench setup.

There are a few areas that you need to pay attention to in order to prevent damage of either a cosmetic or physical nature. Cosmetic issues are not going to hurt function, but physical damage will.

I usually recommend that a new AR builder start with the lower, as it is easiest and requires few special tools, and getting a complete upper to mount on it. Installing the trigger guard is really the only area you can break something (unless you are being very reckless) and even then, there are solutions.

PSA makes a great first AR, especially if you get a good deal on one of their premium uppers. It just requires patience for the sales and your desired upper to be in stock.

Their premium lowers are more rare to get in stock, but the standard lowers are good. The only real difference is that the buffer tube is 6061 alloy rather than 7075. The only time that would matter is if you are going to be beating your stock against something... maybe in a hard use rifle training course... so not likely an issue for most shooters.

The local PSA has an upper with a 16in light weight profile CHF barrel with a free float keymod handguard... no BCG or charging handle... for $400 (maybe it's $499, need to look again) add $100 for a BCG and charging handle. (A bit more if you want to go with a fancier CH)

Then add one of their premium Lowers for $200. (If you want to change the pistol grip and stock, add $50 for a set of Magpul MOE)

If the premium lower is not in stock, they have standard lowers on sale for $150-200... depending on the included stock.

But you are looking at a quality rifle with free float barrel for $700-800 or so.

I own two PSA premium rifles, I trust their reliability completely... in fact, one of them is my go to defensive carbine that I have ready to go.

I also own 2 BCM ARs... They are high quality rifles, some of the best. A BCM upper and lower will run you at least $1000, add a couple hundred dollars more to get one with a free float handguard. (And it can be even more depending on the brand of handguard used)

You can mix and match most uppers and lowers... as any in spec upper should fit any in spec lower. So you could save a couple hundred by using a PSA lower and a BCM upper.

After that, you need to get sights.

For a basic carbine setup... I recommend either a good set of fixed irons, or a decent red dot sight. You can run back up flip up iron sights with a red dot, and many recommend doing so if the rifle may be used for defense. (You can use some smaller fixed iron sights with a red dot as well, just needs the proper setup)

A basic set of Magpul MBUS sights runs about $80 for a front and rear set. Any cheaper and they are likely counterfeit. These make decent enough full time iron sights, but they are folding sights and are designed to be back ups...

You can spend several hundred on iron signs as well, either folding or fixed... their are many options. My personal favorite is the MBUS Pro, about $120 for a complete set if you shop around.

Red dot sights are the preferred sights for many people, especially for defense and plinking at the range at 100yds and closer.

They vary in price and quality...

Aimpoint makes some of the best, and their prices start around $450 and go up from there.

Vortex makes a couple good options in the $150-200 range.

Primary arms makes a decent cheap red dot for $100, and they make an close to Aimpoint quality version that costs $275 with their AR mount included.

Last edited by marine6680; January 2, 2016 at 02:42 AM.
Old January 2, 2016, 07:47 AM   #5
tirod

Pinning an upper to a lower is part of the standard cleaning regimen and no special tools are required. The most common one used in the service is the metal reinforced ink pen to get the firing pin retainer out of the BCG.

As the OP describes, as shipped there is less to assemble than field stripping it to clean it.
Old January 2, 2016, 08:28 AM   #6
Mobuck

That's a REAL high tech "BUILD". I guess a guy's got to start somewhere.
Old January 5, 2016, 07:01 PM   #7
BBarn

I "assembled" a couple ARs about a year ago. If you don't buy completed uppers and lowers, I highly recommend a few special tools.

I used a magazine well block to hold the lower in a vise to install some of the lower parts, and another clamp/alignment tool to hold the upper while aligning the gas tube. I used a multi-purpose wrench to secure the barrel and buttstock. I also used a couple of roll pin punches and a pivot pin install tool. The latter tool helps prevent launching the pivot spring and detent into oblivion when installing them.

I bought the smaller tools, but was able to borrow the vise block, clamp, and wrench. I really have no desire to "build" another AR, but if I did, I would want access to all those tools at a minimum.

With the use of the tools above, and some masking tape to cover areas in order to protect the finish, I completed the "builds" with no significant finish mars.
Old January 5, 2016, 07:42 PM   #8
rickyrick

The tape is a good plan.
But I discovered that if you place the receiver in a heavyweight freezer bag, you can drive the pins through the bag with no damage to the finish.

Primary arms had the magpul Bev block for 34$. It will engage the upper and the barrel at the same time. Will also flip over for the lower
Old January 6, 2016, 05:50 AM   #9
peggysue

You tube will show you how.

Tags
ar15 , ar15 build