The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 11, 2009, 09:44 AM   #1
mapsjanhere

Sizing new brass?

The answer seems obvious, but one thing I learned about reloading is ask first instead of pulling 100 rounds because you had to post one of those "what did I do wrong" threads.
For the first time I get to load new factory brass (Remington for the 300 RUM). I've so far only started out with factory loads, and then reloaded. Is there any reason to run the new brass through the sizing die first?
Old December 11, 2009, 10:04 AM   #2
Christchild

Almost ALL new brass should be put through the Full Length Size Die before going any further. Nosler brass comes fully prepped and ready to load, as does Norma, but Weatherby, Remington and Winchester should be fully prepped (FL sized, trimmed, chamfered/deburred, flash hole deburred). I can not speak for Lapua, Hornady or Starline, since I have no experience with their factory new brass, though.

Some members here seem to do things different, but me personally, I always fully prep the Headstamped brass I've stated. Even Once Fired brass from factory loads, once I fire them in MY rifle, I'll just neck size (bolt action rifle ONLY) but I'll still put them through the entire process after neck sizing.
Old December 11, 2009, 10:12 AM   #3
Bud Helms

Quote:
Is there any reason to run the new brass through the sizing die first?
Yes. It is a good practice and can't possibly hurt anything. Just a little of your time.
Old December 11, 2009, 01:29 PM   #4
LHB1

Yes, I run all brass thru the sizing die first, whether new or used. The sizing die reduces case mouth dimension slightly below normal so that it will provide proper grip/retention on the bullet.
Old December 11, 2009, 01:55 PM   #5
mapsjanhere

Thanks, the answer wasn't as obvious as I thought.
Old December 11, 2009, 03:10 PM   #6
GeauxTide

I used to full resize everything; however, I discovered with new brass, I'd try to chamber them. If they chamber easily, I put the width of a nickel between my shell holder and die (rifle only). Then, I'm taking care of the neck dimensions. Has worked perfectly in the 8 calibers I load, from 223 to 338-06.
Old December 13, 2009, 04:36 PM   #7
James R. Burke

I full length resize all new brass, and start them out all the same.
Old December 13, 2009, 04:48 PM   #8
gearheadpyro

I also full length size all new brass as a part of my brass prep. After that I neck size only.
Old December 13, 2009, 05:37 PM   #9
jepp2

For rifle brass I run the expander through the case mouth to make it round. In the annealed state, the necks are easily deformed during bulk handling and shipment.

After that, I just load the new brass - rifle or pistol. The pistol expander handles the brass mouth prior to seating the bullet.

YMMV, but if the manufacturer (Winchester or Remington) was going to load finished ammo, they wouldn't resize the new brass. I've never had any kind of an issue with many thousands of rounds fired this way...
Old December 13, 2009, 06:26 PM   #10
GregM727

You only need to run one new case through the resizing die to get your answer.
Old December 13, 2009, 07:58 PM   #11
Brownie

I also just hit the mouth to make sure they are perfectly round.

No since of working on a perfect load and being at the final step just to buckle a neck because it wasn't round. I guess BT bullets probably wouldn't be as bad but still a good idea.
Old December 14, 2009, 05:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Nosler brass comes fully prepped and ready to load, as does Norma, but Weatherby, Remington and Winchester should be fully prepped
you got me wondering now... I've seen numerous places stating the Weatherby uses Norma brass and that norma loads all weatherby factory ammo, i think thats part of the reason its a little pricey, shipping costs