The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 5, 2019, 10:36 AM   #1
HighValleyRanch

New 2019 Ruger LCRX 3" .357 mag

Anyone get one yet?
This might be my next revolver purchase! Been waiting for it to come out.
But it hasn't been approved for the dreaded CA approved handgun list yet.
Old November 8, 2019, 10:32 AM   #2
HighValleyRanch

I guess that is a no?LOL
Old November 8, 2019, 10:53 AM   #3
OhioGuy

Nope, nor shot it. .357 in tiny < 2" snubbie barrels has never made a lot of sense to me. 3" helps mitigate that.

Still, .357 mag in a revolver as light as an LCR will pack a hand wallop.
Old November 8, 2019, 06:06 PM   #4
WheelGunMan

I picked up one back in June. It shoots just as sweet as my LCR .357. Love the adjustable rear sights as it lets me dial in the bullet I want to shoot. I just ordered a IWB holster and am looking to make it my EDC.
Old November 8, 2019, 06:16 PM   #5
HighValleyRanch

^^^^^^^^
Somebody actually has one and shot it!
Thanks for the feedback. Envious!
For now all I can do is to PRETEND that my 3" .38 +P LCRX is more badass!
Old November 8, 2019, 07:48 PM   #6
WheelGunMan

I've been wanting one in .357 ever since they introduced the 3" 38 Special. I can't tell you how many times I wrote to Ruger asking when they were coming out with the .357. I was wintering in Florida when they introduced it so I had to wait until I got back to get one. When I went to my LGS I felt like a kid in a candy store.

Brought it home and promptly put 100 .38 Special 125 grain +P's down the pipe. That's when the love affair began. I like the looks of it, the feel of it in my hand. I changed out grips and dressed it in Pachmayr Diamond Pro's as I like the feel of them. I currently carry an LCR.357 as my EDC. When I dress LCRx for my EDC I'll probably install a set of the same Hogue Tamer grips that came on my LCR for better concealability. I also like the additional weight of the LCRx . 357 (21 oz) that helps absorb some of the recoil. I eventually plan on carrying Inceptor ARX Ammo .357-86 grain. Very impressive gun.
Old November 9, 2019, 06:52 AM   #7
TruthTellers

Ever since I discovered how good 1970s and 80s Charter Arms are, I bought a 4 and a 6 inch in .357. They may weigh a few ounces more than the Ruger, but they are one piece steel framed with an aluminum grip frame. IMO, better materials that will last a long time.

Also, I prefer a .357 in a 4 inch vs a 3 inch.

I use to be a big believer in the 3 inch LCRx revolvers, but that has changed much in the last few years. I do like the 8 shot .22 model tho.
Old November 9, 2019, 08:47 AM   #8
9x19

Funny... I sold my Charter Arms revolvers in favor of the Ruger LCRX models... different strokes.

I bought the 3" .357 several months back and have had it to the range, it is not as violent as most think, though I prefer bullets on the lighter side for my uses... so it has seen mostly 125s so far.

Great little revolvers in my opinion... I currently own one of each chambering in the 3" LCRX flavor as well as two of the shorter .38s (LCR and LCRX) that serve when the wife and I travel.

LCRX 3" .357
Old November 9, 2019, 12:54 PM   #9
WheelGunMan

Quote:
I bought the 3" .357 several months back and have had it to the range, it is not as violent as most think, though I prefer bullets on the lighter side for my uses... so it has seen mostly 125s so far.
I carry and shoot the ARX ammo... .38 Special 77 grain from my 1-7/8" LCR .357 and my 3" LCRx .357... it's minimal recoil and very manageable. It's designed for short gun and is wicked fast from the LCR's. There is a 86 grain .357 available too.
Old November 11, 2019, 04:08 AM   #10
silvermane_1

Like i mentioned before, a 3" bbl is minimum requirement for the 357 to "do it's thing".
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old November 11, 2019, 09:48 AM   #11
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
Like i mentioned before, a 3" bbl is minimum requirement for the 357 to "do it's thing".
And I called it a myth before because....
1 7/8 inch barrel:

4. Ruger LCR/ Buffalobore heavy .357 Outdoorsman, 180 gr. Keith hardcase
(their hollow points are pretty identical in loads for SD)
This is out of my 1 7/8" LCR:
1250 fps with the 180 grain keith hard cast flat nose which yields around 617 foot pounds ME!
Old November 11, 2019, 12:32 PM   #12
WheelGunMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
1 7/8 inch barrel:

1250 fps with the 180 grain keith hard cast flat nose which yields around 617 foot pounds ME!
...and one can only wonder how many fps would be generated from a 3" barrel.
Old November 11, 2019, 12:46 PM   #13
HighValleyRanch

On the testing of .38 special +P buffalobore outdoorsman from both the 3" LCRX and the 1 7/8 LCR there was only about 50 fps gain.

But I do agree, when tried with the 6" blackhawk, there was significant gains.

I am not trying to say there are no gains with a longer barrel, but instead that with the right powder or ammo, a short barrel .357 is nothing to sneeze at.
Old November 12, 2019, 02:52 AM   #14
silvermane_1

Quote:
1 7/8 inch barrel:

I wasn't talking about "roll your own/boutique ammo", I was referring to off the shelf mass consumption ammo.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old November 12, 2019, 08:38 AM   #15
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
wasn't talking about "roll your own/boutique ammo", I was referring to off the shelf mass consumption ammo.
At least you didn't refer to Paul Herrel who had done more to promote that myth than anayone else!LOL
Old November 12, 2019, 08:54 AM   #16
Real Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelGunMan View Post
I've been wanting one in .357 ever since they introduced the 3" 38 Special. I can't tell you how many times I wrote to Ruger asking when they were coming out with the .357. I was wintering in Florida when they introduced it so I had to wait until I got back to get one. When I went to my LGS I felt like a kid in a candy store.

Brought it home and promptly put 100 .38 Special 125 grain +P's down the pipe. That's when the love affair began. I like the looks of it, the feel of it in my hand. I changed out grips and dressed it in Pachmayr Diamond Pro's as I like the feel of them. I currently carry an LCR.357 as my EDC. When I dress LCRx for my EDC I'll probably install a set of the same Hogue Tamer grips that came on my LCR for better concealability. I also like the additional weight of the LCRx . 357 (21 oz) that helps absorb some of the recoil. I eventually plan on carrying Inceptor ARX Ammo .357-86 grain. Very impressive gun.
What does the .357 gun get you, if you are shooting 38 Specials anyway and could have been owning the 38-only version to get adjustable sights and longer barrel? You are also citing use of light-for-caliber bullets, mitigating recoil when all one has to do is drop back to 38 Special with cheaper, easier to source ammo. Be happy though, I just want to understand preferences.
Old November 12, 2019, 01:53 PM   #17
WheelGunMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Gun View Post
What does the .357 gun get you, if you are shooting 38 Specials anyway and could have been owning the 38-only version to get adjustable sights and longer barrel? You are also citing use of light-for-caliber bullets, mitigating recoil when all one has to do is drop back to 38 Special with cheaper, easier to source ammo. Be happy though, I just want to understand preferences.
I chose the . 357 for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I wanted the stainless frame for the additional weight which helped mitigate recoil. Secondly, I do eventually plan on switching to the .357 round. My only concern is over penetration... and, even if that wasn not in my plans, I like that the option is there should I ever decide I wanted to shoot a boxfull, whereas that option wouldn't be available if I owned only the .38 Special.

And lastly, I'm fully committed to the ARX round primarily because of its flutes.
Old November 12, 2019, 03:42 PM   #18
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
And lastly, I'm fully committed to the ARX round primarily because of its flutes.
While I am a fan of the ARX for the velocity and light weight and flutes, you might also want to check out the LeHigh Xtreme penetrator bullet which has flutes and is solid copper and more weight.
Old November 12, 2019, 05:02 PM   #19
WheelGunMan

Quote:
While I am a fan of the ARX for the velocity and light weight and flutes, you might also want to check out the LeHigh Xtreme penetrator bullet which has flutes and is solid copper and more weight.
The whole intent of the ARX ammo for me, is to lighten the grain weight (to mitigate recoil) and to increase velocity from a short barrel. I've watched a few videos on the extreme defender and it is very impressive, but we're adding grain weight and recoil back into the mix. I think for now, my money is going to be spent on the ARX.
Old November 13, 2019, 07:58 AM   #20
USNRet93

Quote:
Although as 'penetrator', it does that...Xtreme 'Defender' might be a better choice for EDC, imho.
Tests like JHP but no clogging that may happen with lotsa winter clothes/layers.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 13, 2019, 09:20 PM   #21
dgludwig

My wish list includes an LCR revolver, with concealed hammer, chambered in .327 Federal Magnum and having a 3" long barrel.
Old November 15, 2019, 07:11 PM   #22
BigHutch

Just got a holster for mine yesterday. It's a handful with Underwood ammo, but I like it.
Old November 16, 2019, 03:28 AM   #23
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermane_1 View Post
I wasn't talking about "roll your own/boutique ammo", I was referring to off the shelf mass consumption ammo.
It doesn't matter to HVR, that Buffalo Bore from the LCR is his go to carry load and if the day comes where he has to pay $5 a round for that ammo, he's going to pay it.

I agree with you tho, I do not take into account whatever is out there from the boutique ammo companies as it's not ammo I'm going to ever buy, not unless it's for a weaker caliber like .380 or .32.
Old November 16, 2019, 03:35 AM   #24
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelGunMan View Post
I chose the . 357 for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I wanted the stainless frame for the additional weight which helped mitigate recoil. Secondly, I do eventually plan on switching to the .357 round. My only concern is over penetration... and, even if that wasn not in my plans, I like that the option is there should I ever decide I wanted to shoot a boxfull, whereas that option wouldn't be available if I owned only the .38 Special.

The point of the ARX to me is increased terminal performance and tissue damage from a short barrel and consistent performance vs hollow points that may or may not expand from the same short barrel.

That's magic for a semi auto pistol in a caliber like .380 and maybe 9mm depending on other factors, but for a revolver where you can use wadcutters and semi wadcutters or even the exotic duplex load using two round balls, I fail to see where the 80 grain ARX bullet has an advantage.
Old November 16, 2019, 10:41 AM   #25
WheelGunMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
The point of the ARX to me is increased terminal performance and tissue damage from a short barrel and consistent performance vs hollow points that may or may not expand from the same short barrel.

That's magic for a semi auto pistol in a caliber like .380 and maybe 9mm depending on other factors, but for a revolver where you can use wadcutters and semi wadcutters or even the exotic duplex load using two round balls, I fail to see where the 80 grain ARX bullet has an advantage.
Those two statements contradict one another.