The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 3, 2019, 02:45 PM   #1
Schlitz 45

New Revolver Day!

Out yesterday with the long suffering Mrs Schlitz, I was shopping around for a couple of my bucket list guns & told her if she saw something she liked I’d buy it for her. She’s been picking up every small revolver she sees lately & expressed interest in S&W 642 style revolvers. They had an almost new Kimber K6S in the case and as soon as she held it she told me “this is the one”. Great price on a virtually new Gun in the box with all the case candy. Bought some snap caps & she’s been dry firing at everything in the house.
I cleaned it up, it’s maybe fired 6 rounds judging by the minuscule amount of carbon on the barrel throat and cylinder face. My digital trigger pull gauge read a consistent 7 lbs pull-very even & smooth pull. She has a class scheduled with a woman instructor next week-that was one of the condition of the purchase.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B642B2EE-CCF0-4421-AF70-053CB171F6E5.jpeg (69.1 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpeg 924E8629-0A1B-4835-A2F3-438E9EC073CE.jpeg (77.0 KB, 80 views)
Old November 3, 2019, 02:54 PM   #2
Rock Hammer

Congrats to mrs shlitz . She has a good eye ..kimber did good especially with the trigger.....take care
Old November 3, 2019, 05:15 PM   #3
dontcatchmany

I have the K6S 2".

Make sure you shoot at least 400-500 rds before trusting it.

I had to return mine to Kimber after approximately 350 rounds of mostly 38 Special. Kimbe quickly replaced the firing pin assembly.

With the original grip be careful with +p 38 or any 357 Magnum. That Kimber K6S back strap is brutal on the hands.

After I got mine fixed I experimented with a Pachmayr J frame Diamond Pro grip and was able to put a stiff cushion along most of the back strap and inside the grip......That worked really well.

Since the grip and the fix, I have shot approximately 1400 rounds of 38, 38+p and 357 Magnum (full load) through it and it has performed well. The J frame grip makes the butt of the gun a tad bigger, but allows for comfortable shooting.

I have pocket carried it and carried it today in a coat pocket as a back up (Buffalo Bore 38 spcl 158 gr LSWCHP +p).

Good luck with the gun. Hopefully it will not be one that was manufactured with the faulty striker assemblies. Use snap caps and do not dry fire the weapon without them.

And the trigger was and is extremely good. If no problems, I think your wife will enjoy it once she gets accustomed to the short sight radius.

Last edited by dontcatchmany; November 3, 2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old November 3, 2019, 06:09 PM   #4
Schlitz 45

I have dies/brass/bullets coming in the mail-planning on loading up some light 38 special loads in 357 brass for training rounds & concentrate on point shooting at very short range, build some confidence, and progress from there. I’m glad I bought the snap caps as the owners manual doesn’t mention anything about dry firing, mostly wanted something for practicing loading/unloading & protecting the firing pin.
Old November 3, 2019, 06:59 PM   #5
ZEBRARANGER

Congratulations. That's a good looking revolver, looks new.
Old November 3, 2019, 08:38 PM   #6
dontcatchmany

Amended my #3 post to say do not dry fire without snap caps rather than do not dry fire.

Snap caps are recommended. Kimbertalk.com should have posts on this.
Old November 3, 2019, 08:43 PM   #7
TJB101

New Revolver Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlitz 45 View Post
I have dies/brass/bullets coming in the mail-planning on loading up some light 38 special loads in 357 brass for training rounds & concentrate on point shooting at very short range, build some confidence, and progress from there. I’m glad I bought the snap caps as the owners manual doesn’t mention anything about dry firing, mostly wanted something for practicing loading/unloading & protecting the firing pin.

My favorite load for wife and kids is a 148 HBWC with 3gr of bullseye in a 357 case ... oh so soft. The Mrs will love it.