The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 20, 2014, 03:37 PM   #101
LockedBreech

Sorry my thread turned testy Glenn, I was afraid it would. Looks like all the beneficial points have been covered.
Old January 20, 2014, 04:20 PM   #102
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Was it appropriate for the officer to be in the house and could he have backed out of the door?
Yes, and possibly so. Just because he saw a man with a knife isn't a reason to flee.

Quote:
Officers are taught to avoid unsafe scenes and to utilize backup when there is any possibility of violence.
What??? No.
Old January 20, 2014, 04:39 PM   #103
Elkins45

Quote:
Anybody have anything else useful to say?
Don't know if this qualifies as useful, but I think it's worth noting that if the officer hadn't been wearing a video camera we likely wouldn't be having this conversation. Look at how many commenters here and on the original site counted seconds and made second guesses based on watching the video. If we hadn't seen the video this would have been a much shorter discussion.
Old January 20, 2014, 07:15 PM   #104
johnelmore

My useful words are just to reinforce the fact that police officers are not supermen and so they are not taught to run into unsafe scenes by themselves. I dont know about other states, but here at the local academy officers are taught common sense techniques to manage potentially violent situations. They are taught how to evaluate and size up a scene. They are taught teamwork and how not to get themselves killed.

If you believe an officer is supposed to charge into unsafe scenes half hazardly risking life and limb you are wrong. They are not supposed to jump in front of bullets like the Secret Service nor are they the Seal Team from the Lone Survivor. They are supposed to properly manage a scene with the emphasis on their own safety.

The book is right and its always been right. When the officer goes against training is when they are injured or killed.
Old January 20, 2014, 07:27 PM   #105
Glenn E. Meyer

Current active shooter doctrine is for officers (even alone) to enter the dangerous scene and try to neutralize the threat.

Since we are going in circles, this is closed.