The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 11, 2001, 06:46 AM   #1
JMC

Francotte Knockabout 20 ga.

Can anyone tell me about this shotgun? Basic value?

Appears to have 26" bbls. No ejectors but I don't think the Knockabout had them. It is in VG condition. Weighs under 5 lbs. Sweet little 20 ga.

I know it was imported for A&F as a low end gun for them.

I'm looking at buying this one for $300.00.
Old August 11, 2001, 12:31 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

I have to registry of a Knockabout Shotgun.

1) The "Knockabout" was a trade name used by Montgomer Ward & Co of Chicago, before 1925. This particular shot gun falls into the :Hardware Gun" Catagory and was Made or imported by Crescent Arms.

CRESCENT ARMS

This Company mfg’d good quality, inexpensive side by side and single Bbl shotguns and was founded in 1883. They were bought by the H&D Folsom Arms Company of New York, importers and distributors of firearms and sporting goods.

After the purchase of Crescent, the Folsom Company was able to offer a complete range of shotguns, imported English French, Belgium and American made Crescents. By the turn of the century Crescent Arms produced huge quantities of “Hardware Guns” it produced guns under direct contract to distributors, mail order housed and hardware distributors with any brand name the customer requested. Crescent also produced guns for its parent company, as Folsom house brands that were sold to customers that did not want their own brand name.

By the lat 1890's Crescent was producing basically five grade of dbl bbl shotguns offering a model for most tastes. The Crescent /Folsom Arms Company continued this type of business until 1930 when it merged with Davis Warner Arms Corp and became the Crescent-Davis Arms Corp. In 1932 it assets and machinery were bought by Stevens Arms Company, a victim of changing tastes and the depression.

2.) FRANCOTTE, A
Liege, Belgium
Currently imported Shotguns and Rifles
Importer - Armes De Chasse
Chadds Ford Pennsylvania

Francotte currently imnports side-by-side boxlock or side lock shotguns, double rifles and single shot rifles as well as bolt action rifles in the United States through Armes De Chasse. These shotguns and rifles are all custom built to the customers specification. Gauge (including 24 and 32 Gauge. Caliber barrel lenght engraving, wood type and style are all individually produced. No two are alike.

Custom SXS Shotguns available in either boxlock or sidelock action. Prices range from:

Basic Boxlock 27.5" bbls dbl trigger no engraving $10,000.00

Basic Boxlock no engraving 28 or .410 $11,000.00

Basic Boxlock w 26.5" or 28" bbls deluxe stock and dble triggers 12,16, 20 gauge $20,000.00

Basic boxlock in 28 or .410 gauges $20,000.00

Basic box lock in 28 Gauge or .410 $25,000.00

1999 Standard Catalog of Firearms, Ned Schwing

HJN

Last edited by Harley Nolden; August 11, 2001 at 12:54 PM.
Old August 11, 2001, 12:59 PM   #3
JMC

Harley,

Thanks for the info.

This aprticular gun was made by Francotte for Abercrombie & Fitch and labeled the Knockabout.

I don't know when it was made but it was made in Belgium.

Thank again.
Old August 11, 2001, 09:40 PM   #4
Steven Mace

JMC, I'm looking at the Blue Book of Gun Values - Twenty Second Edition and this is what is stated. The 20ga. version of a Knockabout SxS adds a 75% premium to the listed values. I have calculated this into the values below.

100% - $2820
98% - $2220
95% - $1890
90% - $1518
80% - $1320
70% - $1122
60% - $990

Unlee the Knockabout you're looking at is actually a Crescent 'Hardware Gun' your probably getting a good deal. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old August 12, 2001, 06:34 AM   #5
JMC

Francotte Knockabout 20 ga.

Steve,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to take another look at it this week to be sure of what it actaully is.

I would put it in the 60-70% catagory.

It is nice and tight and the bores are vary clean, no dents or pitting. The wood is hand worn but from what I recall. no cracks or splits.