The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 24, 2017, 09:02 AM   #26
MandolinMan

Right around the 1:30 minute mark the shooter begins approaching the victim ( rather than continue retreating) which seems to escalate the situation. Bad move!!!
Old November 24, 2017, 11:21 AM   #27
Double Naught Spy

I looked at 6 or 7 articles from news agencies and didn't see any that actually say the shootee was unarmed. None said he was armed either. As BR noted, details are sketchy. I see several blog-like posts and Gofundme that says he was unarmed, but those sources are without any sort of credibility and don't come from police sources. That the shooter was arrested and released would indicate that the DA did not see enough evidence for charges to be filed immediately. That is quite interesting in and of itself given the video, but the video is lacking of a lot of visual detail and audio. That it was a fatal shooting will require it to go to the grand jury to see if there is sufficient evidence for charges to be filed.

I don't think I would be surprised either way on this one and it will all depend on what further information is revealed.
Old November 24, 2017, 01:20 PM   #28
zincwarrior

I am sure the stories would have noted if he was armed.
Old November 24, 2017, 06:02 PM   #29
Double Naught Spy

They didn't say he was unarmed either. As noted, details are sketchy. Not much in the way of the description of the shooter's gun. No description of the ongoing conflict. No mention of how the conflict came to happen in the middle of that street, etc.

The shooter still isn't arrested and there certainly may be a good reason for that.
Old November 24, 2017, 07:10 PM   #30
zincwarrior

The cynic says that's because of who his dad is.
Old November 25, 2017, 03:11 PM   #31
briandg

Wow. My thoughts are that the escalation left the shooter flustered and incapable of a good decision. He could have gotten back in his car and left, safely, it appears to me.

Instead, he allowed the standoff to continue, eventually purposefully putting a load of shot into his chest.

He had opportunities to safely de escalate, at least my interpretation of the video gives me that impression. Given exactly what I am seeing, he was morally wrong, and almost certainly legally wrong.

One of the problems with stand your ground laws is that people get a false sense of safety, that they don't have to justify the killing.

It's possible that the guy thought

"Enough of this crap! I've backed away and he keeps coming! I've got a right to kill him now!"
Old November 25, 2017, 03:45 PM   #32
zincwarrior

The shooter also actually advances on the victim at least once.
Old November 26, 2017, 10:11 AM   #33
thallub

Yep, we have another "rage" type incident where someone was killed. If the idiot had not stopped his vehicle this would have been avoided.

It takes two people to play the senseless "rage" game. If one refuses to play the game usually ends.