The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 9, 2005, 09:48 PM   #1
ArmyCop

How far and still pretty accurate?

Ok, what's the farthest distance a .38 caliber snubnose would still be pretty accurate (good grouping) if shot by a steady hand?

Same question for a 1911 .45 caliber Mini (3 or 3.5 inch barrel)?

Again, Same Q for a full size 1911 .45 caliber?

Also, would a 1911 with a 3.5" barrel be much different in accuracy than a 3"?

Thanks...
Old July 9, 2005, 10:53 PM   #2
CarbineCaleb

I don't think there is too much difference in actual firearm group size with barrel length (if gun is clamped in a vice)... that's the word anyway, but you would think that it would take a certain amount of barrel length (and rifling rotations inside) to put a good stablizing spin on the bullet? Not sure what that minimum length is?

Would be curious to see some intrinsic accuracy figures for clamped handguns on say a 1&7/8" snubby and a 4" myself. Usually, tests seem to publish with a free hand hold and a rest, which doesn't really stop gun from moving between shots.

Practical accuracy definitely falls off quickly with barrel length though, due to the smaller sight radius making the sights insensitive to angular deviations. Supposedly, mucho training can get some of that lost accuracy back with a snubby, but I am sure mucho training with a service size pistol would give the same shooter better results.
Old July 9, 2005, 11:11 PM   #3
Malamute

What is your definition of "accurate" or "good grouping"?

I've shot 2" 38's out to a couple hundred yards, and could hit a 2 foot square plate, or an 18" rock a maybe 2 or 3 rounds in a couple cylinders full after getting the range and sights figured out. If shooting carefully, most shots were pretty close, same for a 1911, tho it's easier to hit more often at those ranges with the 1911 or a full size pistol.

I wouldnt reccomend shooting at anything alive at that range, but if there was no choice, I'd sure not be bashfull about it. I would consider 50 yards with a 2" 38 that you have shot a lot, to be realistic.
Old July 9, 2005, 11:43 PM   #4
BillCA

I'd go along with Malamute's 50 yard range for a snubby with in single action mode with something to steady against.

Most .38 and .45 handguns (of 4"-5" barrels) will be accurate out beyond 100 yards. But one has to remember as the barrel length decreases, so does velocity (of a given load). This will, in turn, affect bullet drop and how soon the bullet deviates from the 'standard' flight path.

For guns with barrels less than 4", depending on caliber and load, I'd say that being able to consistently hit a pie plate anything over 50 yards would be "good shooting". Most of this is due, as Malmute said, to the short sight radius where the smallest deviation of the sights produces a bigger miss.

If you have a snubby like the S&W Model 66 with adjustable sights and a 2.5" barrel, you might be able to drop your .357 Magnum rounds on target up to 125 or 150 yards. But you'll most likely be aiming much higher than the target. About 7" higher for PMC ammo if you're gun is sighted for 50 yards.