The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 16, 2004, 04:34 PM   #1
Kjott21

New Member, First Handgun, Ammo Question

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and new to handgunning. I recently purchased a Glock 27 for concealed carry. I carry in a Blade-Tech UCH which I am very happy with (except for needing to buy new pants to accomadate). I don't know what else to tell everyone about myself so I will go into my question. I am a member of a sportsman's club and they have an indoor range but the only drawback is that they do not allow any jacketed bullets. I know that you are not supposed to fired lead bullets in a Glock, but can you? The reason that I ask is because I know you are not supposed to shoot reloads either, but many do. I would like to shoot indoors and at their competitions but not if it is unsafe. Thank you all for your input in advance!
Old December 16, 2004, 04:59 PM   #2
Ozzieman

No lead in a glock, thats what Glock says

I think that it has somthing to do with the type of groves that they use in the barrell and they way that they lead up, I bought one for my wife and and have never shot lead through it, sorry not much help but this I know, when a manufacture says NO then you better not.
Old December 16, 2004, 06:15 PM   #3
mete

I would never trust purchased reloads. As for the use of lead, there are those who do shoot lead bullets in their glocks .HOWEVER they thoroughly and often clean their guns .Of course the amount of lead deposited in the barrel depends on a number of factors , hardness lube, velocity. Keep it clean.
Old December 16, 2004, 06:36 PM   #4
WillBrayjr

Use total metal jacket bullets. These are available from CCI/Speer in their Blazer and Lawman line. You can also use frangible(I think I spelled that right) rounds. Check out: www.midwayusa.com. There are also other ammunition websites you can look at for range safe ammunition.
Old December 16, 2004, 06:49 PM   #5
dairycreek

Quote:
I know that you are not supposed to fired lead bullets in a Glock, but can you?
Unfortunately for your situation the answer to your question is no. It is really unsafe to used leaded bullets in Glocks. It can end up being dangerous to you and your Glock pistol. Good shooting
Old December 16, 2004, 09:00 PM   #6
Kjott21

Thanks for the input. I guess that I won't be doing any shoots indoors for a while.
Old December 17, 2004, 01:12 AM   #7
Majic

You can purchase a aftermarket barrel that has conventional rifling for the Glocks. Then the use of lead bullets won't be a problem.
Old December 17, 2004, 06:05 AM   #8
Ozzieman

JKOTT dont give up

I personaly am a little surprised that the range has that rule.
I live in a moderate city in Indiana and we have 4 indor ranges, All different models of Detroit bullet trap systems and all allow jacketed bullets, In fact there is some considering stoping the use of lead due to possible health issues.
I would look into it a little more. What are there reasionings for not allowing jacketed rounds. That would stop a lot of people from using there ranges. There are a lot of people that dont reload and want to shoot semi autos.
Ask a few more questions there, or try to find another range, but never, NEVER give up shooting.
Good luck to you, the fact that you decided to purchase a firearm makes you a better person in my eyes.
Old December 20, 2004, 05:04 PM   #9
rkc

West Coast Bullets

Zero Bullets

Rainier bullets

for plated bullets at almost lead bullet prices

maybe more I missed

polygonal rifling just isn't compatible with lead but seals better and gives higher velocity with jacketed bullets
Old December 20, 2004, 05:11 PM   #10
Doerdie

As far as buying reloaded ammo, I bought reloaded ammo for 7 years for my 9mm, 38 amd 44 mag. Never had a problem with any. Always used jacketed bullets, however.