The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 4, 2020, 11:12 AM   #26
Tactical Jackalope

The only .45ACP that I have as my minimalist self has opted to trim down my inventory tremendously, is the HK USP 45 Expert. The Glock 36 I have is a "chopping block" gun and a potential back up for gigs of security work or gun shop/range work.

I'm an HK guy. My EDC pistol has been an HK P30L in 9mm in what's about to be a year in February.

But by your criteria, Smith and Wesson M&P 45 full sized. Hands down. 100%. Love that gun.
Old January 16, 2020, 10:00 AM   #27
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbclarkson View Post
I am looking into a striker .45 with a thumb rest. Why? I haven't had a .45 in a long time and strikers with thumb safeties fit my hand naturally.

I am finding 3 options: Ruger American, Ruger SR and the M&P.

The SR45 is the cheapest of the 3, under $300 through Buds, but its thumb safety is a tiny little nub. The Ruger and the M&P are $450-500. If I want to upgrade the trigger, which I usually do if I like a gun, there are many options for the M&P, and Galloway Precision offers what seems like a complete trigger system overhaul for the SR but just a striker guide replacement for the American series.

What are your experiences with these 3? Is there a reason for a small-handed, trigger-picky but financially limited shooter whose thumb always finds the slide release to pick one over the other 2? (And please don't advise me to change my grip. If I modify my grip then I lose the excuse to buy a .45). I have shot a rental M&P 2.0 but the other two are not available at local ranges.

Thanks, and have a great first day of 2020!
Glock 21, with a Cominolli thumb safety installed.

Here is a picture of one:

Old January 16, 2020, 10:04 AM   #28
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbclarkson View Post
I am looking into a striker .45 with a thumb rest. Why? I haven't had a .45 in a long time and strikers with thumb safeties fit my hand naturally.

I am finding 3 options: Ruger American, Ruger SR and the M&P.

The SR45 is the cheapest of the 3, under $300 through Buds, but its thumb safety is a tiny little nub. The Ruger and the M&P are $450-500. If I want to upgrade the trigger, which I usually do if I like a gun, there are many options for the M&P, and Galloway Precision offers what seems like a complete trigger system overhaul for the SR but just a striker guide replacement for the American series.

What are your experiences with these 3? Is there a reason for a small-handed, trigger-picky but financially limited shooter whose thumb always finds the slide release to pick one over the other 2? (And please don't advise me to change my grip. If I modify my grip then I lose the excuse to buy a .45). I have shot a rental M&P 2.0 but the other two are not available at local ranges.

Thanks, and have a great first day of 2020!
Another option:

EAA (Tanfoglio) Witness in .45 ACP. Attached is a picture of the Polymer Compact, but there are also steel and full size models. They are DA/SA though.

Old January 21, 2020, 03:46 PM   #29
Desmosedici

For what it's worth, I own an HK45; it has been a reliable gun, although a bit finicky in terms of accuracy with what it likes/dislikes. It's pretty inaccurate with WWB and American Eagle, but is very accurate with Federal, especially 230 grain Hydra-Shok JHP's....those are expensive to shoot, though, at least for me.

I got it brand new for $800 bucks on sale Christmas 2018. I wanted a larger, fill-my-hand home defense style pistol. Need a longer barrel and a suppressor, which I'm aiming to get soon.
Old January 21, 2020, 04:58 PM   #30
Bentonville

HK 45, HK 45c, HK USP45 Full-size and HK USP45 Compact are all very controllable and, ime, soft-shooting. You’re not supposed to hold it with your feet. Then it would be uncontrollable, I guess??