The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 10, 2019, 01:32 AM   #51
Sequins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603 Country
"Sequins, why do you prefer the LCP to the LCP II?

I really liked the P238, but just didn’t like the idea of having two options - carry with a live round under the hammer or carrying cocked and locked. I could be Ok with the live round under the hammer, since I think there’s a hammer block, but then I’d have to thumb back that little hammer in a stressful situation if I had to use it. Sweaty thumb and small hammer spur.... "
I prefer the LCP to the LCP II for the same reason you are uncomfortable carrying cocked and locked- I don't trust the trigger on the LCP II with no safety. The LCP II doesn't have the kind of safety features I would expect, specifically the firing pin block. A transfer bar just isn't as good, it's one thing on a revolver but it's entirely another on a tiny mousegun with a striker-equivalent trigger.

I will say that I also carry a Glock, either a 26 or 30, and I am comfortable; I'd even feel totally fine cocked and locked to be honest, but not an LCP II. Glock has the trigger safety and a firing pin block. P238 has a firing pin block and a manual safety. Cocked and unlocked on a P238 is comparable to Glock carry. LCP II on the other hand only has a transfer bar. I have never heard a report of a drop triggering the LCP II but I don't like it and I have no problem whatsoever with the more deliberate, safer LCP regular trigger so I prefer the regular trigger which I trust more. I'm quite accurate with it and I think it has a light, smooth trigger in my example. A bit long but not heavy nor gritty at all. Mine is much lighter than the DA pull on any revolver or DA/SA pistol I've owned, so while it's not as light as a Glock it's pretty manageable.

Before anyone rips me and says it's perfectly safe I'd like to preemptively say that I'm sure it is, so the other reason to prefer the LCP to the LCP II is because it's thinner with a shorter grip and a marginally shorter overall length.
Old December 10, 2019, 07:46 AM   #52
USNRet93

Quote:
I will say that I also carry a Glock, either a 26 or 30, and I am comfortable; I'd even feel totally fine cocked and locked to be honest,
A Glock is more akin to a DA revolver..The Glock isn't really 'cocked'...as in, the internal hammer isn't 'back'...with one in the chamber.

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; December 11, 2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old December 10, 2019, 09:54 AM   #53
603Country

As I mentioned, I bought the 380 Bodyguard. It’s to be my Christmas present, but before it got wrapped, I shot it a bit. Recoil wasn’t snappy or painful, which was good. Accuracy at about 10 yards was very good, and better than I honestly expected. It seems that I bought the pistol that best meets my requirements. I’ll upgrade the sights, and I might replace the trigger with a shorter pull version. The sights are much better than some of the other micro pistols, as they can be adjusted or replaced. I’ll see if I can get some tritium dot sights.
Old December 10, 2019, 10:01 AM   #54
totaldla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequins View Post
I like the P3-AT and the LCP. I don't like the LCP II though. The seecamp and sig p238 would be the next two I'd look at.

I think the P3-AT and the LCP really are the sweet spot though. P238 is bigger and heavier but more shootable. Seecamp has no sights but even smaller.
I agree. The P3AT is very conveniently sized and easily pocket carried.
Old December 10, 2019, 10:19 AM   #55
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
It’s to be my Christmas present, but before it got wrapped, I shot it a bit.
That's cheating!

My brother got a Colt .22 rifle from Santa when he was sixteen. But the night before, I heard my dad working the bolt action in the living room!LOL
Old December 10, 2019, 12:39 PM   #56
Kreyzhorse

Not a target gun, but the LCP is easy to carry, fairly easy to shoot due to its small size, and the trigger is long and heavy. It's the type of trigger I'd expect on a pocket gun but by no means is it terrible.

Just long and heavy.
Old December 10, 2019, 03:08 PM   #57
TomNJVA

Just to clarify the LCP II safety features, this from Ruger in their FAQ section:

Q "What safety devices are incorporated into the design of the LCP® II?"

A "We put a significant amount of engineering effort into designing a short, crisp LCP® II firing mechanism that also is safe, reliable and consistent. We then verified the design through our robust testing process.

The LCP® II hammer and sear geometry were designed with significant engagement for a positive lockup. The sear is neutrally balanced and under strong spring tension, which helps prevent disengagement during a drop scenario. In the unlikely event that a significant shock to the pistol results in disengagement of the hammer from the sear, the design includes a hammer catch to help prevent the hammer from contacting the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled. Our testing has revealed that this design passes all standard tests and is very safe from discharge due to a drop.

Notably, the LCP® II design features a bladed trigger safety that prevents the trigger from moving rearward without intentionally being pulled. Every LCP® II is shipped from the factory with a pocket holster that protects the trigger when properly utilized."

https://ruger.com/service/faqs.html
Old December 10, 2019, 09:21 PM   #58
wild cat mccane

Yes, however, some of us have years of intimately knowledge of removing the guts of the P3AT and it's history.

Kel Tec could have shortened the travel of the PA3T. It didn't because of drop safety issues which Kel Tec forum members knew. The gen2 LCP is about it for safety. LCP II? no thanks.

The LCP is a copy of the P3AT.
Old December 10, 2019, 10:54 PM   #59
zoo

Best of breed (tight and small) to me is still the Ruger LCP custom.
Old December 11, 2019, 12:01 PM   #60
Laz

I’ve been attracted to the build quality of the Pico, but the grip just feels way too small to me and I don’t have large hands. For small, thin, and light, I go with the LCP gen 2. (But usually depend on a P238.)

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old December 11, 2019, 12:11 PM   #61
pwc

Bersa Firestorm, precutsor of Thunder, EDC in small IWB, never fail to go bang.
Old December 14, 2019, 09:35 AM   #62
cw308

The easiest carry for me was a Walther PPK/S in 380 , being my daughter shot it better then me and she loved the pistol , well, it's her's now . The S&W 36 Chief snub nose in 38 spl. is the smallest I carry in a holster not my pocket .
Old December 16, 2019, 03:05 AM   #63
Ignition Override

.380 Russian Makarov.

But can you quickly pull it out of what could become very tight pockets?
Old December 16, 2019, 09:55 AM   #64
Carl the Floor Walker

Dedicated Pico Fan. Build quality is fantastic. I have two. One of them has more rounds fired through it than 4 of the LCP's I completely destroyed from shooting so often. And I have a size large hand. Shooting small barrel guns is my hobby. Shoot at least once a week. Getting ready to order another Pico just to add to the collection and keep in the safe. I also like the Kahr CW380. Both guns are very easy to shoot well and very mild, with little snap.
The op asked about thin, well the Pico is thin. I carry it many times in my watch pocket of my jeans. I like the way Beretta did the long finger extension on the mag. Makes for easy to pull up for quick drawing.
Old December 16, 2019, 10:53 AM   #65
Sequins

I won't call the LCPII unsafe, but it's less safe than an LCP gen2 or a P3-AT.

and this is purely personal but the trigger on my LCP GEN2 is good. I shoot my Redhawk DA, my GP100 DA, and my SP101 DA and the gen 2 has the lightest trigger. For my frame of reference it's a nice shootable trigger.
Old December 16, 2019, 11:16 AM   #66
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequins View Post
I won't call the LCPII unsafe, but it's less safe than an LCP gen2 or a P3-AT.

and this is purely personal but the trigger on my LCP GEN2 is good. I shoot my Redhawk DA, my GP100 DA, and my SP101 DA and the gen 2 has the lightest trigger. For my frame of reference it's a nice shootable trigger.
I agree, I still have a LCP, do not shoot it any longer. But the LCP Gen 2 was actually a nice smooth DAO. Personally would not own a LCP ll. There has been a whole lot of controversy on the safety of that firearm. But that is my opinion, each to his own.
Old December 17, 2019, 07:05 AM   #67
IAhunter

I bought a S&W Bodyguard .380 for my wife to carry. Nice little gun, reliable and surprisingly accurate. It just didn't work for her, as she lacks the hand strength to operate the slide. I didn't need it since my pocket rocket is a Glock 43, so I traded the Bodyguard for a S&W .380 EZ for the Mrs.
Old December 17, 2019, 07:49 AM   #68
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAhunter View Post
I bought a S&W Bodyguard .380 for my wife to carry. Nice little gun, reliable and surprisingly accurate. It just didn't work for her, as she lacks the hand strength to operate the slide. I didn't need it since my pocket rocket is a Glock 43, so I traded the Bodyguard for a S&W .380 EZ for the Mrs.
Not exactly a 'small light, thin 380 for pocket carry' tho...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 17, 2019, 11:57 AM   #69
Armybrat

The Remington RM380 is a good choice.
Not as small as the LCP, but is a softer shooter and the slide is easier to rack.
Old December 17, 2019, 12:11 PM   #70
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz View Post
I’ve been attracted to the build quality of the Pico, but the grip just feels way too small to me and I don’t have large hands. For small, thin, and light, I go with the LCP gen 2. (But usually depend on a P238.)
I've added a Hogue rubber grip sleeve. Required a little trimming but works well to improve the grip.
Old December 19, 2019, 11:38 PM   #71
ms6852

I carry this, the SpringField 911 one in the chamber and 7 in the magazine when I work out and only wear warmups with an elastic band. Shoots great lighter than the Sig and the Micro Kimber and the magazines are interchangeable with the Sig and Kimber but are half the price. Also this gun is lighter than the Sig and the Micro. Night sights are very very bright at night. I like it a lot
Old December 31, 2019, 03:00 PM   #72
adamBomb

Quote:
After handling some mouse guns, and working the slides and triggers, I bought the S&W Bodyguard in 380. Not saying it’s the absolute best, but it’s close in operation to my 380 EZ. It has a safety and I have enough of a comfort factor to handle and use it.

Thank you all for your suggestions and knowledge.
Good choice! When I saw what guns you were used to I was going to suggest the bodyguard. Hammer fired DAO and has a safety. I pocket carry it everywhere. I also have the LCP I and its just collecting dust in my safe. LCP II is not a gun I would feel safe carrying.
Old December 31, 2019, 07:16 PM   #73
USPSUSMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclenunzie View Post
I love my Seecamp pistols (32 and 25s), indeed the tiniest. Though I can't imagine how the Seecamp in 380 wouldn't hurt the hand. Straight blowback which I forgot to mention the Bersa is also. The Seecamps are works of art and not in the same class as the very functional but plastic framed little guys.

I used to have a .380. A jewel for sure but torture to shoot. The middle knuckle of my middle finger got it from the back of the trigger guard every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old December 31, 2019, 07:56 PM   #74
603Country

I’ve run a couple hundred rounds through the Bodyguard 380 so far. Cleaned it yesterday. Wasn’t hard to strip down. I’ve ordered the tritium night sights for it. I might leave the trigger alone. The pull is long, but smooth, and can be 75% taken up and then squeezed to fire. Works pretty well like that, though I have to wonder if I’d have that much trigger control in a stressful situation.

It really is an accurate little pistol. A SiL said he couldn’t believe how well I shot that thing. That said, the really accurate pistol is my 380 EZ.
Old January 1, 2020, 08:01 AM   #75
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPSUSMC View Post
I used to have a .380. A jewel for sure but torture to shoot. The middle knuckle of my middle finger got it from the back of the trigger guard every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Depends on the 380, IMHO. I had a Ruger LCP(second gen, NOT LCP2) and hated shooting that thing. Couldn't wait to get rid of it. Have a G42..seems like a 'goldilocks' 380 to me. A JOY to shoot, easy to carry, even pocket, with a 'ClipDraw'...love that little HG

"Tools not Trophies”