The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Best Pistol
Smith & Wesson 52 7.83%
Sig 106 15.96%
Glock 149 22.44%
Ruger 26 3.92%
Springfield 48 7.23%
Colt 48 7.23%
HK 57 8.58%
Walther 16 2.41%
Khar 9 1.36%
Kimber 28 4.22%
Desert Eagle 3 0.45%
Makarov (Stichken included) 7 1.05%
Beretta 33 4.97%
CZ 49 7.38%
Taurus 7 1.05%
Browning (FN) 18 2.71%
Para Ord. 3 0.45%
Star 2 0.30%
Mauser (Luger included) 2 0.30%
Korth 1 0.15%
Voters: 664. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 8, 2008, 08:19 AM   #51
CajunBass

I'd say all of them, but then I've never had a bad one. I have owned more Rugers than probably everything else put together, or it's pretty close, so I picked Ruger. I've owned D/A and S/A revolvers, several of their 22's both revolver and semi, and a couple of 10/22 rifles. I did have a problem with one of the D/A revolvers once, a Security Six (SS) that would bind the cylinder when shooting lead bullets. I sent it back and they fixed it (adjusted B/C gap). No charge, and no more problems with it.

If you mean just semi-auto's center fire, hard to say. Again I've had more Colts than the others but all the others have been good too. That includes S&W, Glock, XD, Hi-Point, Makarov, and Bersa that I remember.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 8, 2008, 08:36 PM   #52
Stevie-Ray

I have to go with Colt, and I'd like to be going with DMK's CCO.
Old February 8, 2008, 11:20 PM   #53
computerguysd

If I could only have JUST ONE gun that would suit my needs for home defense, concealed carry, competition & collectability (and I would really hate for things to come to that...) it would be my 4" Colt Python as "best all around".

If collectability isn't a factor (since Dan Wessons are more or less a "niche" market) I'd keep my DW 15-2 with 2 1/2, 4, 6 & 8 inch interchangable barrels for flexibility and "best all around".

I really, really like Sigs, but if I could only have one gun, it would be a revolver.
Old February 8, 2008, 11:48 PM   #54
patrol

I think the sweetest shooting semi Ive ever shot was the H&K P7M8 squeeze cocker. This pistol stands head and shoulders above most pistols but it is not very practical. The Glocks are okay but the funny thing is The new M&P and the XD have smoother triggers and are to me more accurate. Yes, Sig and H&K are nice but it's hard to beat the large number and variety of Smith and Wesson's. Their performance center handguns will hang with any thing out there also.
Old February 9, 2008, 02:54 AM   #55
curmudgeon1

My 3-inch Colt .45 New Agent has become my favorite
range/carry gun lately.
Old February 10, 2008, 06:30 AM   #56
Firepower!

Glock

Well although HK was the first pistol to use polymore, Glock really laid the ground for light pistols. I do not know about the American market, but when Glock was out, in the international market it created a stir, nad majority still loves glock. Most handgun owners I speak to say that their collection is incomplete without a Glock. This they cant say about any other weapon.
Old February 10, 2008, 07:56 AM   #57
Chui

All tool steel 1911. Nothing comes close. M&Ps and Glocks are also very good.
Old February 10, 2008, 07:56 AM   #58
softmentor

HK all the way
Old February 10, 2008, 09:58 AM   #59
DMK

Interesting results in the poll.

The top five are:

1) Glock 23%
2) Sig 15%
3) CZ 10%
4) Springfield 9%
5) H&K 8%

Obviously a popularity contest, but it's interesting how CZ and Springfield beat out HK and S&W.
Old February 10, 2008, 01:03 PM   #60
Firepower!

On HK

I think HK is lagging because they make expensive pistols. Quality wise speaking, especially in international markets, CZ is no where close to HK. However, if one has CZ and has never used HK or Springfield he will vote CZ.
Old February 10, 2008, 01:41 PM   #61
Dave85

I think Firepower! has it. Fewer people have experience with the H&Ks, which leave the brand off their radar. I believe them to be better, certainly, than Springfields; and superior even to Sigs. There are factors that keeps them out of more duty holsters (cost being chief among them), but quality is not on that list.

BTW, I would say that I think they are better than Glocks, but I have a policy against getting into religious discussions.
Old February 11, 2008, 02:32 AM   #62
Firepower!

HK

Well Dave, if it had not been the variety in 9mm magazine capacity for glock, I would have voted HK. I use HK P2000. It is an excellant gun. YOu can fire it dirty, in the water and torture it and it would still go. HK quality is VERY hard to beat.
Old February 11, 2008, 04:42 AM   #63
Elvishead

357 mag
Old February 11, 2008, 07:22 AM   #64
warrior poet

From Playboypenquin:

Quote:
To me the best pistol is not really a brand name thing, it is any pistol that fits you well and is comfortable enough to carry, but big enough to handle most jobs.
The only thing I can add is... "and yet small / smooth enough to not snag on your clothing when you need it. It must also be 100% reliable."

Unless you're going to practice your presentation drills and weapon retention... I'd vote for a DAO (concealed hammer) revolver. It'll always work, and can hang out in your jacket pocket... WITH your hand on it... AND no one's the wiser.

Now that I've gotten my wheelgun jones out... since this is a SEMIAUTO forum, I like my XD40. It just works... PERIOD.
Old February 11, 2008, 10:19 AM   #65
Firepower!

Elvishead....

..you chose the caliber in what pistol?
Old February 11, 2008, 04:53 PM   #66
Running Gunfight

Having owned a 92F, SW 6906 (and carried one on duty), a sig, and a colt commander in the past, I will have to go with the Glock 19 I carry now. Tough call as all but the colt had zero reliability issues (by far my top priority).

I choose the glock due to weight primarily. It is the easiest carrying full sized sidearm I have ever carried. If I were to buy now, I would have to look long and hard at the SW M&P and the XD, but I already have the Glock and it is a keeper.
Old February 11, 2008, 05:00 PM   #67
Cmdrdredd

Quote:
I think Firepower! has it. Fewer people have experience with the H&Ks, which leave the brand off their radar. I believe them to be better, certainly, than Springfields; and superior even to Sigs. There are factors that keeps them out of more duty holsters (cost being chief among them), but quality is not on that list.
Yes exactly. Not many people shoot the HK pistols because they can't see themselves spending the cash to buy one. Most people shoot what they are interested in buying and the HKs are much more expensive on the whole. However, talking quality I believe that HK is superior to just about everything. It's just a matter of being expensive and accessories being rare.
Old February 11, 2008, 05:23 PM   #68
ActivShootr

My Sig P226 has been the ONLY gun I have owned that has never misfired, jammed, or otherwise ruined my day. It gets my vote.
Old February 11, 2008, 08:30 PM   #69
fredneck

There are really nice guns that people freak out about when they scratch, but for me a gun should primarily be a tool. If I had to choose one semi auto It'd be a Glock of some sort and the one revolver would be a big old Ruger Redhawk 4 inch in 44.
Old February 11, 2008, 10:31 PM   #70
38SnubFan

Having had the opportunity to shoot many different makes/brands of pistols, even at my young age (turning 31 next month), I can honestly say that what works for one shooter won't work for every shooter. Different features, feels, weights, capacities and limitations appeal to different people.

I guess I'm gonna be biased, and the underdog (suprise suprise LOL), but my vote goes for Taurus. After shooting a few of them, along with the research I've done before my latest purchase (PT 24/7 PRO in .45ACP), they get my vote for a well-featured, reliable, accurate pistol with a great value for the money (mine was $361 new-in-box for a blued finish with 2 12-rd. mags).

I know Glock is the favorite of most. I've tried Glock. I've strongly considered Glock. My problem is I don't like the trigger feel. Also, unless it's a DAO pistol (mine's a SA), I prefer a manual safety. The Glock also doesn't seem to fit my hand well as other brands have unless I use an aftermarket grip or rubber over-mold for it.

One brand not listed that I once owned, then sold, but still have a lot of love for: Bersa. I owned a MiniFireStorm in .45ACP, and for a sub-compact pistol it shot extremely well and extremely reliably with any ammo I could put in it. I really enjoyed the easy take-down (flip lever, pull slide forward and off), along with the 1911-style safety and integrated locking system. All that for $299 new-in-box! All one could really ask for was a 2nd magazine with the gun, as spares tend to be a bit pricey for this brand.

-38SnubFan

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -A token of appreciation for the good cops.

"Good cheer and steady aim are always fashionable."

"Will...if need be!"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΑΛΒΕ!
Old February 11, 2008, 10:42 PM   #71
P5 Guy

Walther's P88

Full ambidextrous controls, and shoots about as accurate as any 9mm pistol ever.
Old February 12, 2008, 05:49 AM   #72
Firepower!

Taurus Pro

I have had good and bad experience with Taurus PT 24/7PRO. The one I had in 9mm shot way off the target. In fact it was so messed up that it would not hit at 10 yards.
However, I own a .45 Taurus, which I think is a great gun for its value.
Old February 12, 2008, 10:51 AM   #73
38SnubFan

Firepower,

I just got my 24/7 and took it to the range last week to put 75 rounds through it and see how she does. She tends to hit a little south of POA at 25 yds., but at 15 yards its dead-on. This could also have been me getting used to the gun, as I haven't shot a .45 in a while. Hell, I haven't shot in a while...period...and really need to get out and practice more.

However, if I'm hitting what I aim for at 15 yards (and I really think even then I shouldn't need to defend my life at distances past this), then I agree it really is a great value for the money.

-38SnubFan

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -A token of appreciation for the good cops.

"Good cheer and steady aim are always fashionable."

"Will...if need be!"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΑΛΒΕ!
Old February 12, 2008, 12:57 PM   #74
Firepower!

38SnubFan,

What dont you like about the Glock trigger? Are you comparing it with the Taurus pro model's? If so, they are both very different.

Before Taurus came out with the PRO model in PT24/7, I hated thier triggers since they had a long squeeze before firing. But the problem is fixed in the PRO model.

If you are only hitting targets at 15 yards, then I think there is a problem since you should get much more out of your pistol regardless of what you paid for it- since hitting off target bullets over and beyond 15 yards is just not acceptable to me. Seems like a problem which I have heard of now from more than just one person.

Do you know anyone else with a similar complain? Have you tried different gun to see how close you hit the target?
Old February 12, 2008, 02:20 PM   #75
Van55

I didn't vote in the poll.

Unless one has had an opportunity to use each of the listed brands enough to develop an educated opinion, his vote is pretty meaningless.
Closed Thread