The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 15, 2019, 05:07 PM   #51
Cheapshooter

Quote:
If he or she got caught carrying at work, they would definitely lose their job, and most likely go to jail. However, places like his or her work have been the targets of choice for mass shooters frequently.
Lots of suggestions to carry everything from a mouse gun to full size. For myself, it's a Ruger LCP/DeSantis Nemesis in right front pocket.....EXCEPT!
By the OP comment "If he or she got caught carrying at work, they would definitely lose their job, and most likely go to jail. However, places like his or her work have been the targets of choice for mass shooters frequently." It is somewhat obvious the place of employment is a school! I always heed my CCW class instructors warning. Don't mess with the Feds! He was very clear about that. At the same time, he was very clear to point out that violating our state laws about places that don't allow carry would result in nothing more than a "ticket", like a traffic ticket, if anything. His advice to that, "just don't be stupid about it".
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 16, 2019, 10:22 AM   #52
Siggy-06

LCP in a pocket holster. Same as Cheapshooter. I also sometimes carry a NAA Sheriff in .22 mag.
Old December 16, 2019, 01:45 PM   #53
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
I've had a pistol in my pocket, without holster every day for 46 years. No one has EVER noticed.
This sounds either:
unsafe (chambered round)
or
unready (empty chamber)
Old December 16, 2019, 02:24 PM   #54
Bill DeShivs

Perfectly safe. Nothing else ever goes in that pocket.
Old December 23, 2019, 04:02 PM   #55
Tactical Jackalope

I've had several jobs where I'm not allowed to carry but I am fully able.
It's always easiest when the uniform doesn't require you to tuck in your shirt. Like right now. It's up in the air, I opt not to tuck and all is well. HK P30L or Glock 17.

Now if I have to tuck in my shirt, I've carried a USP 9 Compact with an UltiClip on a minimalist holster. The UltiClip clips onto the pants themselves and not the belt, so it'd very difficult to see it hiding behind the belt. A Glock 26 and 36 have been carried this way as well as my P30L a couple of times has been tested, but felt too ballsy to try out.

Ankle carry is up next for me. As it allows me to carry my Glock 36 that way. But I have to use a more liberal pair of slacks that I'm not too fond of on certain days.

Pocket would be next. I'd have to buy a J-Frame because I no longer have my Smith and Wesson 360PD.

Last would be off body carry in my backpack. That's where I get to "let me look for another job" territory".
Old December 23, 2019, 05:03 PM   #56
Forte S+W

Personally, I wouldn't screw around with awkward things like Life Card and would only choose a North American Arms Mini Revolver if it was in the Sidewinder (swing-out cylinder) configuration chambered in .22WMR.

I own a Ruger LCP, which serves as my all-weather EDC pistol because I can conceal it in any attire including a light pair of cotton shorts, so it ought to be easily concealable in just about any workplace attire short of a strip club, and unlike certain smaller options, it's got a decade long track record for reliability, holds up to 8 rounds, and is chambered in a centerfire cartridge which is generally considered to be adequate for self-defense.

If you don't like Ruger, then check out the Kel-Tec P3AT, which was basically the inspiration for the LCP, or otherwise check out one of the many other fine lightweight .380 Pocket Pistols which have come out since and proven themselves reliable.

Also, don't get me wrong, I'm sure .22WMR, .32 ACP, or heck, even .22LR/.25 ACP could get the job done in a pinch, but personally I don't see any advantage in choosing any of those when modern .380 Pocket Pistols can be made as small/lightweight as they are. So unless you absolutely cannot manage the recoil of a .380 Pocket Pistol, (which I don't blame you if you can't, as they are quite snappy, and obviously won't pair well with injured/arthritic hands) I would strongly suggest a .380 Pocket Pistol over a Derringer, Mini Revolver, or smaller caliber Pocket Pistol.
Old December 23, 2019, 09:27 PM   #57
youngridge

Definitely following, my best luck has been (so far) a bodyguard 380 in a talon wallet holster, conceals well and a NAA sidewinder in the front pocket. I recently purchased a Urban Carry and it is ok so far, for the sig 365. I’m hoping it breaks in a bit more so it doesn’t ‘print’ as much. Works great with blue jeans but so so in khakis. I didn’t even know about smartcarry but wish I had to compare the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 25, 2019, 02:40 PM   #58
TRX

> pretty sure a 'few' teachers CCW with an ankle holster with
> trousers long enough so no printing when they sit down

Net.expurts like to hate on ankle carry, but it's 100% better than no carry, concealment is about as "deep" as you can get without an overcoat, and it's a comfortable, at least if you use a holster with a calf strap.

No, you're not going to win any quick-draw contests with an ankle rig. You have to use something else for that.

I've been carrying a backup gun in an ankle holster for seven years now; no problems.
Old December 25, 2019, 02:52 PM   #59
JERRYS.

if your back pockets are big enough and your gun is small enough, "wallet" type holsters hide guns well, and no one in the business world will ask about your two wallets without running the risk of being asked why are they looking at your ass.
Old December 25, 2019, 06:31 PM   #60
TruthTellers

If you want substantial deep concealment, be prepared to pay substantially for it. Something like the P32 is probably the cheapest option in a decent caliber, but an LCP in .380 is more powerful, but weighs more too.

If you want max ammo capacity, it's hard to beat the Beretta 950 with 8+1 of .25. Can't say .25 is powerful, but 9 rounds in a matter of seconds is going to hurt.

For revolvers, you're stuck with a .38 in a super lightweight snub, either a 12 oz Charter, a 13.5oz LCR in .38, or some S&W alloy J frame, which will cost a lot.

I can't say which is best, but I can say any gun is better than no gun and the NAA has been the smallest, lightest, and highest quality option for a long time now to have a gun.
Old December 25, 2019, 08:25 PM   #61
JERRYS.

this ^^^ is about the best all 'round post.
Old December 25, 2019, 09:43 PM   #62
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
... For revolvers, you're stuck with a .38 in a super lightweight snub, either a 12 oz Charter, a 13.5oz LCR in .38, or some S&W alloy J frame, which will cost a lot. ...
Don't discount the LCR 327. It offers six shots and with .327 Federal, you've got a decent range of power available. At maximum, there are some 100-grain loads that start to feel and act more like .357 magnum. On the lower end, there are 85-grain Hydro-Shoks that recoil like midweight .38 +p but produce more enjoyable results on water jugs. If lower recoil or less report are factors, .32 H&R magnum compares reasonably well with standard-pressure .38 special. You can also use .32 Long but that starts encroaching on some of the more questionable caliber choices mentioned above.
Old December 26, 2019, 12:40 AM   #63
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post
Don't discount the LCR 327. It offers six shots and with .327 Federal, you've got a decent range of power available. At maximum, there are some 100-grain loads that start to feel and act more like .357 magnum. On the lower end, there are 85-grain Hydro-Shoks that recoil like midweight .38 +p but produce more enjoyable results on water jugs. If lower recoil or less report are factors, .32 H&R magnum compares reasonably well with standard-pressure .38 special. You can also use .32 Long but that starts encroaching on some of the more questionable caliber choices mentioned above.
The steel frame LCR's weight 17oz. Not exactly deep concealment guns.
Old December 26, 2019, 08:31 AM   #64
chaim

I'm with those who say you probably shouldn't carry if it is illegal where you (or your friend) works. Face it, you won't be facing jail time in addition to being fired if caught unless it is illegal. You go to jail for carrying illegally and you lose your freedom and all your rights, and when you get out you lose your right to carry anywhere or even to own a gun. Also, as others have said, it definitely sounds like you are talking about the schools, and as a teacher, I don't think it is a good idea to carry in a state that doesn't allow you to carry in schools on your CCW permit (should you be "allowed" to, of course, but it isn't worth the risk). Carrying so much as a pocket knife or pepper spray (any weapon) is illegal under federal law unless covered and allowed by your state CCW permit.

All carry methods can fail. When jail and not just embarrassment (or firing) is the possible consequence, that is pretty drastic. I live in MD where most people can not get a CCW permit. I won't say I never carry here in MD, but theoretically if I would it would only be in the most occasional (2 or 3 times a year) and drastic of circumstances (I have to go to a questionable part of town at night and can't get out of it, I have to go to a really bad part of town during the day and can't get out of it, in some cases having to go to an ATM at night might count and in others it wouldn't). Things fall out of pockets, pants legs hike up your leg, shirts and jackets lift, etc.

As a teacher, my solution so I'm not totally helpless should something occur, improvised weapons (yes, it sucks). I have always liked nice pens, and a heavy Waterman or Mont Blanc pen made of metal can do some damage if employed right. A heavy wood cane umbrella can be useful as a hand to hand weapon. A letter opener, or scissors... All these things are not primarily weapons, and they have obvious other uses, so they won't get you in trouble, but can be effective hand to hand self defense weapons. I know it sucks, but when the chances of getting caught carrying a weapon and getting in major trouble are much greater than the chances of actually needing the defensive weapon, I err on the side of caution and don't carry a gun (or at work, a knife or pepper spray).
Old December 26, 2019, 09:01 AM   #65
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
The steel frame LCR's weight 17oz. Not exactly deep concealment guns.
The number on paper looks more substantial than it is. It has to be considered in context with carry method and relative difference.

The LCR 38 was my three-season EDC for a few years. It was exclusively pocket-carried in an Elite Survival pocket holster. I have a couple pairs of slacks that didn't cooperate fully but in most pants I own, it was an easy EDC.

Then I switched to the LCR 327 and it really wasn't a big deal. That little bit of extra weight in the magnum frame is apparent when handling them side by side. When it's loaded, in a pocket holster, in your pocket; not so much. I carry the LCR 327 just like I carried the LCR 38, in the same kinds of pants, doing the same kinds of things. It's a seamless part of my day, just like the LCR 38 was.
Old December 26, 2019, 05:16 PM   #66
TruthTellers

Quote:
The number on paper looks more substantial than it is. It has to be considered in context with carry method and relative difference.

The LCR 38 was my three-season EDC for a few years. It was exclusively pocket-carried in an Elite Survival pocket holster. I have a couple pairs of slacks that didn't cooperate fully but in most pants I own, it was an easy EDC.

Then I switched to the LCR 327 and it really wasn't a big deal. That little bit of extra weight in the magnum frame is apparent when handling them side by side. When it's loaded, in a pocket holster, in your pocket; not so much. I carry the LCR 327 just like I carried the LCR 38, in the same kinds of pants, doing the same kinds of things. It's a seamless part of my day, just like the LCR 38 was.
The OP is specifying deep concealment and to me, pocket carry isn't deep concealment. DC is carrying in places far from normal or in a less than ideally comfortable method. This is where size, weight, and the shape of the gun become very important. Generally the lighter the gun, the less the size and shape matter. The heavier the gun, the more it matters.
Old December 26, 2019, 07:03 PM   #67
AK103K

Quote:
The OP is specifying deep concealment and to me, pocket carry isn't deep concealment. DC is carrying in places far from normal or in a less than ideally comfortable method. This is where size, weight, and the shape of the gun become very important. Generally the lighter the gun, the less the size and shape matter. The heavier the gun, the more it matters.
If you use the right gear, size and weight really arent that much of an issue.

I easily carry a Glock 26, along with a spare 17 mag as a reload, where I used to carry my Seecamp 32.

And I can do that on any given day, comfortably, in a pair of shorts, with no shirt if I choose.

Now, if you insist on a Speedo, the Seecamp would be the better choice.
Old December 26, 2019, 09:10 PM   #68
zoo

Quote:
If you use the right gear, size and weight really arent that much of an issue.
Ak103k,

I respect much of your input at this site but quite frankly sir that statement is simply inaccurate and silly.

Quote:
I easily carry a Glock 26, along with a spare 17 mag as a reload, where I used to carry my Seecamp 32.
No offense but obviously you've never been in need of real concealment such as that which can be achieved with the seecamp or similar vs something as large as a glock 26.

Quote:
And I can do that on any given day, comfortably, in a pair of shorts, with no shirt if I choose.
Ain't about your comfort, it's about what you can get past the bad guys.
Old December 26, 2019, 09:29 PM   #69
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
That's what I mean by "relative". For instance, pocket carry with a pocket holster was the constant in my case. In that context, the difference between LCR frame types was negligible. So if pocket carry is an option for the OP, and a revolver such as an LCR or alloy J-frame will work, then the LCR 327 could be a good option.

The question here will boil down to (1) whether pocket-carrying a centerfire revolver is possible in the first place, and (2) what types of pants the OP wears, how well they work with it, etc. I've played around with the second consideration. Proper pockets matter. Then it can come down to things like pleated versus flat front. Wranglers are great if work doesn't require more formal attire, and dark colors are generally better than khaki.

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. It's really nice if it does though. As a class, I feel like the small centerfire revolvers offer a higher level of reliability, ease of shooting, and better caliber choices versus the really small guns.
Old December 26, 2019, 09:36 PM   #70
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo View Post
Ak103k,

I respect much of your input at this site but quite frankly sir that statement is simply inaccurate and silly.

No offense but obviously you've never been in need of real concealment such as that which can be achieved with the seecamp or similar vs something as large as a glock 26.

Ain't about your comfort, it's about what you can get past the bad guys.
I carried a Seecamp in a number of ways, and found that a Smart Carry worked the best for me, especially in places I couldnt afford to be discovered.

It didnt take me long to figure out that I could carry my 26 in the exact same place, and in the exact same way, just as easily, and just as comfortably, and carry a full size reload in the same holster with it.

Ive been doing that in NPE's, on a regular basis, for about 13 years now. At the very least, I just lose my job if discovered. Its not a game either, its just life.

I also carry a Glock 17 with its reload, on a daily basis as well, year round too, and have had no issues doing that in places and ways Im often told by internet experts, it couldnt be possible.

Seems some of us actually do, do things, and others just tell us its not possible. Kind of hard to take those people too serious, when you do it all the time, "for real", and youre constantly told, its not possible.

As far as comfort goes, Ive always found things like the SC and IWB/AIWB, to be quite comfortable, and very concealable. I would be interested in hearing your experiences that might be contrary to that though.
Old December 26, 2019, 10:35 PM   #71
TruthTellers

Quote:
If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. It's really nice if it does though. As a class, I feel like the small centerfire revolvers offer a higher level of reliability, ease of shooting, and better caliber choices versus the really small guns.
I think the same too, I just don't think a 17oz LCR is great for deep concealment. A 13oz .32 Mag LCR would be better, but Ruger doesn't seem to care about the .32 Mag or a .32 LCP.
Old December 26, 2019, 10:40 PM   #72
zoo

Quote:
Seems some of us actually do, do things, and others just tell us its not possible. Kind of hard to take those people too serious, when you do it all the time, "for real", and youre constantly told, its not possible.
I'm not saying anything isn't possible if you have buffoons maintaining security at wherever you're attempting to enter.

Why do you assume I've been speaking hypothetically or as an "internet expert"?

Are you honestly trying to convince us you surreptitiously carried Glock 17 or 26 pistols into the same kind of places you packed your Seecamp?

If so, I'm thinkin they weren't really concerned about you packin.

Or maybe you own stock in a particular kind of pistol holster company.
Old December 26, 2019, 11:06 PM   #73
zoo

AK103K, you've gotten me a little annoyed. Would it help to alleviate your concerns that I'm not just some kind of "internet expert" blowin smoke up your keister if I were to pm you my name with a link to a news article?

Maybe one wherein I was involved in the apprehension of an assailant who had been involved in causing the death of the first female FBI agent killed in the line of duty?
Old December 26, 2019, 11:18 PM   #74
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo View Post
I'm not saying anything isn't possible if you have buffoons maintaining security at wherever you're attempting to enter.

Why do you assume I've been speaking hypothetically or as an "internet expert"?

Are you honestly trying to convince us you surreptitiously carried Glock 17 or 26 pistols into the same kind of places you packed your Seecamp?

If so, I'm thinkin they weren't really concerned about you packin.

Or maybe you own stock in a particular kind of pistol holster company.
Well, so far, I haven't had to find out, because no one has seen that I was.

I'm not speaking "hypothetically" here, Ive been doing this for over 40 years now, and have yet to have been outed doing so.

And those "buffoons" you speak of, are often local and state police, both in and out of their offices, and in close physical proximity in public (I'm not in or associated with law enforcement).

As I said, some of us do actually carry guns concealed on a daily basis, all day, every day. And realistic guns to boot.

This isn't about fashion statements or something similar, it's about a lifestyle you choose, and you either do it, or you don't.

It seems we lead different lifestyles.

And no, I'm not associated with an holster companies either, but I do have a couple of favorites that I've found to work very well for the active lifestyle I lead. And of course, that's an ever ongoing thing too, and constantly being revised as better things come along.

If you can't carry and conceal something realistic, it's because it's a choice, not because it's not possible. And that's fine, do what you want. It's just annoying to be told you "can't" do it, by someone who "won't" do it, and because of that, figures others couldn't possibly do it, simply because they won't, or in their mind, can't.

"Can't" is such a negative word. Open your mind, there's a whole different world out there if you do. The only one holding you back, is you.
Old December 26, 2019, 11:35 PM   #75
zoo

AK103K,

Quote:
It seems we lead different lifestyles.
Indeed. And at the risk of sounding terribly over dramatic, errors on my part meant the very real possibility of losing my life rather than as in your situation just a job.

Quote:
And those "buffoons" you speak of, are often local and state police, both in and out of their offices, and in close physical proximity in public (I'm not in or associated with law enforcement).
Yeah, plenty of buffoons wearing badges out there including the ones who got Robin Ahrens killed. Cops are not necessarily the gold standard. I'm not particularly impressed with your analogy regarding whatever the heck point you were trying to make with that comment.

I wasn't trying to tell you that your model 26 or 17 couldn't be concealed under the right circumstances. Only that you're lying to yourself and anyone listening it you don't appreciate the advantages of a ACTUAL concealable weapon.