The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 19, 2016, 06:23 PM   #1
troutbuzzard

is a ithaca 37 20ga. deerslayer worth keeping ?

i recently scored a great deal, a mint winchester 9410, a new ruger 96 and a pre loved ithaca 37 deerslayer 20 guage from my fathers friend. i know a lot of people say keep it keep it keep it, bare in mind i allready own a 37 12ga. wich never gets used., i want a nothing out of pocket project gun preferably a rem. 870 20ga. because of aftermarket choices. my question is this, is a mediocre 37 worth a mediocre 870 ?
Old January 20, 2016, 03:19 AM   #2
bamaranger

question

A bit lost with your post but here goes. I don't see a 37 and an 870 in the same light. I would not cut or dork with a 37 to make a project gun in any way. Though they ran side by side in the same era back in the day, the 37 had more machining and old school manufacture about it. I understand that "new" 37's are out there, but the old ones have a bit of "special" about them, to me anyhow. I just restored one cosmetically this summer for a pal, and was much impressed with the old gun.

By contrast, 870's are a dime a dozen, and the various models are still being made. The Express Models, used, are pretty affordable. An Express, or a beater Mossberg 500, would make a better project gun in my opinion. MOre accessories too.
Old January 20, 2016, 06:14 AM   #3
Tony Z

I'm with the last post! Ithaca is a far better gun for the long run! I hunted for years with my uncle's Model 37 Featherweight, but when he passed it went to another and I've been searching for a replacement. The 870 's are a dime a dozen, so don't alter the Ithaca!

If I'm not mistaken, I believe a company is (or trying to) resurrect the Ithaca's. If so, I only hope they make them like the originals and not just the name.
Old January 20, 2016, 07:09 PM   #4
FITASC

Sell it to someone who can appreciate it and buy yourself some junk for a project.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 20, 2016, 07:43 PM   #5
Keg

Quote:
Sell it to someone who can appreciate it and buy yourself some junk for a project.
LOL....I laugh at this post..but in reality it's probably best....
Old January 20, 2016, 08:17 PM   #6
troutbuzzard

thanks guys for your imput on the 37, im sorry if my initional post was confusing. i have no intention of messing with the 37, i know the quality and i know that a lot of people revere them but i have no emotional attachment to the 20ga. i have a 12 that was my dads that i will never give up. i take it from all your info. that i could take it to a shop and trade it for an old 870 pretty easily. i have a wingmaster 20ga. that i bought when i was 16 and i love that gun thats why i want to stick with the 870. thank again for the help
Old January 21, 2016, 12:45 AM   #7
bamaranger

next

While I'm at it, I see the Win 9410 as a candidate for the "pointless gun" title, and if I were going to move one from your assortment, it'd be the 9410.

It's novel, it's different, but I can't see it's purpose.....keep the pump guns, get rid of the half breed.
Old January 21, 2016, 07:10 AM   #8
troutbuzzard

i agree the 9410 is pretty pointless but it looks good sitting next to my 32 special saddle gun and my 336, even the ruger 96 kind of fits in allthough i think that gun is preety pointless also.
Old January 21, 2016, 07:27 AM   #9
amd6547

I would think the 9410 might be a good investment gun.
Old January 21, 2016, 09:05 AM   #10
jaguarxk120

If the Ithaca's serial number is after 855,000 a second shot barrel can be fitted for it. That barrel will move the deer slayer into a very fine bird gun. The handling of a Ithaca 20 gauge is second to none. Keep it!

The Winchester 9410 doesn't eat just takes up a small amount of space and is worth more as each day go's by. Don't sell it.
Old January 21, 2016, 09:07 PM   #11
drcook

If the serial nbr is before 855,000, then there is a little bit of a premium on the gun depending on the condition. it all depends on what it is.

can you post up some of the details and a picture or 2 of it ? just because you say "deerslayer" doesn't just mean "deerslayer" there were different grades of deerslayers.

I would need the ser nbr, just substituting xx as the last 2 digits, we don't need the whole thing, and a picture, then I can get into my book on Ithaca 37's and figure out what it is
Old January 22, 2016, 04:59 AM   #12
darkgael

deal?

Quote:
i could take it to a shop and trade it for an old 870 pretty easily.
Yes, you could. If you did, you would be getting the poorer part of the trade.

Pete
Old January 22, 2016, 09:03 AM   #13
jaguarxk120

As a rule the sub gauges (16, 20, 28, and 410) do not have the same production that 12 gauge guns do.

So there are less guns out there for sale. A dealer would welcome a Ithaca in trade for a 870 Express since he will give less than 40% of book value for the Ithaca.
Old January 22, 2016, 05:10 PM   #14
TxGun

"i take it from all your info. that i could take it to a shop and trade it for an old 870 pretty easily".

Yah, you could. But you take a gun like that to a shop and you'll likely come out way behind. Every dealer's intent is to make good money on both ends of the deal (just like car dealers). You know the drill: "No one wants an old gun like that Ithaca. I'll be lucky to sell it for $100. But this old 870? Now that's a classic...can't keep them in the place, the demand is so high!"

Last edited by TxGun; January 23, 2016 at 01:14 AM.
Old January 22, 2016, 05:26 PM   #15
ammo.crafter

You have a sweet shotgun that is perfect for a left handed shooter as well as a right handed shooter.

The feather weight in 20ga is a fine first shotgun for some lucky youngster.

Hold on to it.
Old January 23, 2016, 02:20 PM   #16
troutbuzzard

i believe the 37 is not an old gun, the serial # is 3716948xx and i could not find out to post pics. so i will try to describe it. first of all i think its in pretty poor shape it looks like this gun hunted thornapples and rock piles its whole life lots of scratches, some deep, hole in the stock from where a sling stud was ripped out now filled with clear epoxy, blueing not so good, surface rust on the mag tube and the front red sight piece ( foeget what its called ) is missing. its very apparent that this gun has been neglected. as far as converting it to a bird gun i have a 1100, 870, silver mallard, bc miroku, auto 5 (light 12 and sweet sixteen) and my favorite is my winchester 101 20ga. all are good bird guns so i dont want to go that rout. im lucky because my dad is a gun junkie so i usualy get the spillovers fron his safe. i just want to build a tactical 20 guage with little or no money out of my pocket to play with.
Old January 23, 2016, 02:25 PM   #17
troutbuzzard

i forgot to mention that i have no intention of selling any gun. the first rule my father tought me was never sell a gun but sometimes a trade is ok.
Old January 23, 2016, 09:59 PM   #18
amd6547

If that's it's condition, then it's perfect for your "tactical 20".
Old January 23, 2016, 10:24 PM   #19
troutbuzzard

the only problem with trying to build a tactical 20 out of the 37 is the severe lack of anything cool to put on it. even something as simple as a scope mount you can find them for a 12 gauge 37 but not a 20 not to mention a collapsible stock, pistol grip or a Picatinny railed fore grip. you could fill a dump truck with cool stuff for an 870 that's why I think I want to go that way
Old January 24, 2016, 03:59 AM   #20
gyvel

Quote:
While I'm at it, I see the Win 9410 as a candidate for the "pointless gun" title, and if I were going to move one from your assortment, it'd be the 9410.

It's novel, it's different, but I can't see it's purpose.....
Not so novel; Marlin did it ca. 1930.
SIFE
Old January 24, 2016, 04:01 AM   #21
gyvel

Quote:
the only problem with trying to build a tactical 20 out of the 37 is the severe lack of anything cool to put on it. even something as simple as a scope mount you can find them for a 12 gauge 37 but not a 20 not to mention a collapsible stock
The only practical thing you need to do with that Ithaca is cut the barrel to 18.25" to make it "tactical." Everything else is like fender skirts on a pickup truck.
SIFE
Old January 24, 2016, 07:50 AM   #22
troutbuzzard

i just cant bring myself to cut down a barrel or even tap a reciever for a scope,you can never go back after that. the only thing i will do is change the wood for plastic and add bolt on parts,plus i like fender flares with the right tires, gives the truck a good stance but beauty is in the eye...
Old January 24, 2016, 10:04 AM   #23
drcook

The real issue that you are dealing with here is that Ithacas were all built on their own size receiver. The 12s,16s and 20s had unique sized receivers, barrels, mag tubes, stocks, foreends, etc. There are some internal parts to the receiver that are interchangeable, such as the trigger pack (has to be either a 2 3/4 or 3 in trigger pack depending on chambering) and some of the springs. Even the guns chambered for 2 3/4 or 3 in had different length receivers (3 in added 1/4 in to the original design) and that changed some of the components and unless you know which are which and understand the differences, you can buy parts and they simply won't fit, or will fit and won't let the gun function.

That gun is an interchangeable barrel gun. Since the serial nbr starts with 371xxx, it is well after the 855,000 cutoff. You can buy a different barrel and simply turn it into a field gun. That gun is a 2 3/4 in chambered gun otherwise it would say MAG-371xxxx or 371xxxx-MAG. A 3" chambered barrel will fit it and function, but it will still only function with 2 3/4" shells.

It is not really a good platform to build a "tactical" shotgun on. You cannot get an extension for the mag tube due to the design, etc etc.

Its value is in trade, yes in trade as it is not a highly desirable Ithaca OR, and most importantly, it can be turned into a field gun if you hunt or shoot trap or clays.

If you are wanting to build a tactical gun, and can get a good trade out of it, go for it.

Or get a another barrel and and turn it into a field gun, just make sure you don't get a barrel with a 6 digit serial nbr on it, 855,000 or less.
Old January 24, 2016, 10:57 AM   #24
troutbuzzard

thanks for the excellent information, im gona start looking for a trade asap. preferably with a friend and not a shop as i believe the feds want to know to much about you allready. thanks again for the info.
Old January 24, 2016, 03:24 PM   #25
gyvel

Quote:
plus i like fender flares with the right tires,
LOL! Not fender flares, fender skirts.
SIFE