The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 13, 2018, 10:56 PM   #1
Prof Young

Shot my first Glock.

Introduced a friend to the local shooting range today. He had a Glock 17 that he let me shoot. I really didn't think I'd like a Glock thinking it was like a typical DAO gun. Wrong. Crisp and short trigger pull. Really liked that. The experience I've had with striker fired guns so far has been not good. The Glock was very different. May have to pony up and get one. Not sure I'd carry a gun without a safety on it. Does Glock have a model with a safety? At seven yards I got a relatively nice group (about four inches). Hmmmm . . .

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old August 13, 2018, 11:39 PM   #2
DubC-Hicks

Unfortunately they don't offer a model with a manual safety for the group of gun owners that want one. But good trigger discipline, awareness when holstering, and a good kydex holster go a long way.

I've experienced the same thing with other shooters I've taken out. They've been shooting for a while and have it in their mind that the Glock trigger is terrible and they don't like polymer guns. Then they're surprised and like it when they actually try it.
Old August 14, 2018, 12:01 AM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

No manual safety models available from Glock. However there are other similar striker-fired pistol brands available that do offer models with safeties. The selection of features available these days is really amazing.
Old August 14, 2018, 04:59 AM   #4
Nathan

I’m glad you liked it. They are ok guns. Not sure I like the trigger as much as you did.

That said, I’m with the manual safety crowd, so I’m not a big Glock fan. Mine will likely be sold off soon for a m&p with a manual safety.
Old August 14, 2018, 07:17 AM   #5
HighValleyRanch

You can install an aftermarket safety onto any glock:
https://www.cominolli.com/product-page/msk

Or you can just get a S&W Shield already with a safety.
That's what I ended up with.

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; August 14, 2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old August 14, 2018, 07:39 AM   #6
Fishbed77

Like many others, I've own and shot Glocks for years, and like many others, I don't feel any love for them.

They aren't the most comfortable, best looking, best finished, best priced, or even the most durable or reliable modern pistols out there. The feature set and design is lacking compared to some competitors. They don't have the best trigger feel among modern striker-fired pistols. The plastic sights are doofy and demand immediate replacement.

But here's the thing - they generally work well and I shoot them very well. Parts and accessories are cheap and plentiful. They are almost completely user-serviceable. They are simple and (in some models) relatively streamlined and compact compared to competitors.

The positives largely outweigh the negatives.
Old August 14, 2018, 10:37 AM   #7
TailGator

I have just one Glock, a 26, but it is my carry piece most days. "Short and crisp" aren't adjectives I would apply to the trigger, but it is serviceable. The pistol has been reliable for years, and is surprisingly easy to shoot well. Glocks are, in my opinion, quite utilitarian, but well done for what they are. If you liked your experience and want one, go ahead. You won't lose much in flipping it if you change your mind later. Keep in mind that the backstrap is shaped differently, and the finger grooves (in the generations that have them) are spaced differently between the 17 and the 19. You might want to handle both and see which one fits your hand better.
Old August 14, 2018, 11:58 AM   #8
Sharkbite

Quote:
Does Glock have a model with a safety?
No, but the Smith &Wesson M&P has that option and the 2.0 model will put that Glock trigger to shame.
Old August 14, 2018, 12:19 PM   #9
stephen426

Lies! Glocks are the Bee's knees! LOL

I hated Glock's "squishy trigger" initially, but the consistent trigger pull, light weight, corrosion resistance, good price, and "Glock Perfection" won me over.
Old August 14, 2018, 12:57 PM   #10
jmr40

Quote:
No, but the Smith &Wesson M&P has that option and the 2.0 model will put that Glock trigger to shame.
I consider myself a "Glock guy" but agree 100%. I still like and trust the Glock more, but don't see the safety as a bad thing. And the M&P trigger is nice. With more use I could gradually find myself preferring the M&P over Glock.

Winston Churchill
Old August 14, 2018, 05:50 PM   #11
mdThanatos

The smith 2.0 is a good option and a definite upgrade over the original M&P. Call me crazy but I do like the glock trigger and after many years of not liking them I have become a fan. If you like .45 you should look at the 21.
Old August 14, 2018, 06:52 PM   #12
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young View Post
Introduced a friend to the local shooting range today. He had a Glock 17 that he let me shoot. I really didn't think I'd like a Glock thinking it was like a typical DAO gun. Wrong. Crisp and short trigger pull. Really liked that. The experience I've had with striker fired guns so far has been not good. The Glock was very different. May have to pony up and get one. Not sure I'd carry a gun without a safety on it. Does Glock have a model with a safety? At seven yards I got a relatively nice group (about four inches). Hmmmm . . .

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Glocks are pretty good-performing guns overall. Though I've never heard Glock triggers described as "crisp." I have described my Glock 19 gen 4 trigger as "short and consistent with a hint of spongey."

If you're looking for a similar polymer gun, with a slightly better trigger (still not what I'd describe as "crisp"), shorter reset, better ergos (four backstraps to customize size), optional thumb safety, steel sights, accepts a wider variety of ammo (my and my buddies Glocks will choke on some reloads, while the M&Ps eat them all), and significantly less expensive (about $500 vs. $600), I would suggest a new S&W M&P9 2.0.
Old August 14, 2018, 07:17 PM   #13
Spats McGee
Staff

^^^ I have to concur with Rangerrich99's description of the trigger, at least on my G19.

It's no secret that I really, really like my G19, even after ~5 years and ~2k rounds. That said, Prof, if a thumb safety is a big deal for you, there are probably better options for you. Twenty-five years ago, the G19 might have been the only game in town in the "lightweight, striker fired, more than 12 rounds" category, but that's just not the case any more. M&Ps, XDs, CZs, SRs . . . .
Old August 14, 2018, 07:24 PM   #14
kenny53

I like Glocks, I only own one but it has never failed me. As for wanting a manual safety on a double action gun do you have manual safeties on your revolvers? If you don't pull the trigger it will not go bang. my 2 cents.
Old August 15, 2018, 01:01 AM   #15
SDF880

I have Glocks and M&P the safety is between your ears! If the Glocks make you nervous get a Saf T Lok for your Glock which is an adjustable plastic piece that snaps in behind the trigger. The Lok is easy to push out as you draw up on target and I have read some police have started using it.
Old August 15, 2018, 06:15 AM   #16
ifithitu

I like my four Glock,none has given me trouble.
Old August 15, 2018, 10:48 AM   #17
Fishbed77

Quote:
If the Glocks make you nervous get a Saf T Lok for your Glock which is an adjustable plastic piece that snaps in behind the trigger. The Lok is easy to push out as you draw up on target and I have read some police have started using it.
I haven't used this product (nor would I), but just looking at it, I see a host of new safety issues. I don't typically like the idea of having any controls within the trigger guard other than the trigger. I can see a situation with a finger fumbling to push this out in darkness or wet conditions finding it's way to the trigger face. Also what if this thing works it way loose in a holster and makes its way in front of a trigger?

It just looks like an unnecessary liability to me. If you want a pistol with a manual safety, just buy a pistol with a manual safety. There are plenty of options.
Old August 15, 2018, 11:14 AM   #18
SDF880

I don't carry with the SAF T LOK but do have a few. The lock is tailored to the model it is used on and has an adjustable set allen adjustment. It also seems like a natural motion to push the lock out as you bring the Glock on target. I have the same concerns you stated I don't like anything other than the trigger in the trigger guard! I do think the LOK will put some folks at ease owning a Glock.
Old August 15, 2018, 11:42 AM   #19
shafter

I've seen reviews of the SAF T LOK where the lock doesn't completely pop out on the first try. Not a device I would want on a self defense firearm.

A kydex holster that covers the trigger does the exact same job.
Old August 15, 2018, 12:17 PM   #20
FITASC

Quote:
Twenty-five years ago, the G19 might have been the only game in town in the "lightweight, striker fired, more than 12 rounds" category, but that's just not the case any more. M&Ps, XDs, CZs, SRs . . .
Don't forget the newish SIG P365. I was able to rent one today and brought along my Kahr CM9, G26 and G19. The trigger and grip size in the 365 is great and way above the Glock. Throw in the fact that is right at the same size as the Kahr, but holds the same as the G26 and that is a gamechanger.

As to having a manual safety, I have never felt the need. My finger never enters the trigger guard until my gun is pointed where I want it to be. For me, it is just one more thing to forget or fumble with when milliseconds counts. My P7s, Glocks, Kahr, revovlers all work just fine without an extra manual safety.
Now, if I was carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, that would be different.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 15, 2018, 12:46 PM   #21
Sharkbite

Quote:
The Lok is easy to push out as you draw up on target and I have read some police have started using it.
I doubt any LE Agency in the US is using this device. Id love to know the source of that info
Old August 15, 2018, 01:29 PM   #22
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
Kahr, revovlers all work just fine without an extra manual safety.
I'm sure that you are aware that Kahr started offering a manual safety on some of their pistols.
Old August 15, 2018, 04:49 PM   #23
Fishbed77

Quote:
I do think the LOK will put some folks at ease owning a Glock.
If you have to use some hokey aftermarket device to feel comfortable with a particular firearm, you are probably better off just using a different firearm. The good news is that there are plenty of other excellent designs available.
Old August 15, 2018, 04:58 PM   #24
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
If you have to use some hokey aftermarket device to feel comfortable with a particular firearm, you are probably better off just using a different firearm.
So I assume that would cover all aftermarket parts that one uses to modify their guns including say the Apex triggers for M&P's, etc?
Only stock guns should be carried?
Old August 15, 2018, 05:19 PM   #25
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
So I assume that would cover all aftermarket parts that one uses to modify their guns including say the Apex triggers for M&P's, etc?
Only stock guns should be carried?
I'll be the one to go so far as to say, yes actually. With the market today if you find yourself "needing" to put aftermarket parts in a pistol in order to maintain the shooting performance you demand, maybe just buy a different pistol? There are numerous threads on here where I've discussed putting in APEX parts in an M&P. I recently ran a day long course with a stock 2.0 Compact. This was out of the box for 400 or so rounds out to 25 yds, but the course was specifically close quarters. At no point did I feel the trigger was holding me back. All of my Gen 5 Glocks are stock, and my modifications to my Gen 3s consist of polishing contact points. I've come to the point where I believe that many of these modifications to improve triggers make us feel better, but in reality aren't as vital as we might think in a defensive situation.

That said, I would argue there is a difference between slight modifications to the weight of the trigger with parts that are essentially stock but better finished, and adding or removing a safety device that wasn't/was part of the original design. If someone wants to claim I'm splitting hairs, they can then reference the above paragraph.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; August 15, 2018 at 05:46 PM.