The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 2, 2018, 11:23 AM   #26
Grant 14

Wow, thanks for all of the response. I just got back from a 3 day evacuation for THE RIVER FIRE. I looked on Midway and could not find dies for the 4.10 but I did see a MEC Jr. that may be the solution. I was trying to not add another piece of gear to my bench. I like shooting the little 4.10 for all of the reasons mentioned here (except ammo prices) and my son and I each have one, so reloading will be in the works. 12 gauge ammo is available and not too expensive so I dont think I will worry about that, and I dont shoot the 12 often enough to make much difference. I am going to do more research and see what I come up with. Thanks for all of the good information. Grant.
Old August 2, 2018, 12:32 PM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

Grant,

Glad you didn't get burned out.

GWPercle,

Can you provide links or your search terms? No search terms I put in found 3-die sets in either brand for anything closer than .41 Magnum.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 2, 2018, 01:19 PM   #28
FrankenMauser

I'm seeing the same, Unclenick. I've searched quite a bit, because I do have brass .410 cases and it would be helpful to have dies when the cases will no longer chamber.

I think the ".410" designation in the title for some .40-65 and the .41 Mag/AE dies may be causing a little confusion.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; August 2, 2018 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Grammar ... and a failing internet connection
Old August 2, 2018, 06:34 PM   #29
Grant 14

I went looking on youtube and found all kinds of hammer and wooden dowel type of information which doesnt interest me, but I ran across a video from a company called WTS which had 2 die sets for 410 shotshells that work in a regular rifle press. Then I tried to find the company and found a lot of references to WTS but no company. Does anyone know if they are out of business? They didnt look any different than rifle dies and just as easy to use. ____Grant.
Old August 2, 2018, 07:01 PM   #30
Tsquared

WV_gunner said:
Quote:
Shotgun shells can be loaded with no press at all.
I have to agree. A MEC press will make it easier but shot gun shells can be manually reloaded.
Old August 2, 2018, 07:15 PM   #31
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
Grant,

Glad you didn't get burned out.

GWPercle,

Can you provide links or your search terms? No search terms I put in found 3-die sets in either brand for anything closer than .41 Magnum.
I searched the term " .410 reloading dies midway ".

They fooled me , what came up , after carefully reading the fine print was , RCBS and Hornady dies for 41 magnum...that ain't .410 .
Going back and searching 410 shotgun shell reloading dies turns up nothing....
Sorry , my bad.
I could have sworn some company made them at some point in time .
I searched ".410 shotgun shell reloading tool " and found lanes reloading , which carries hand loading kits for 410 and all the other gauges. while not a die set to be used in a press the hand tools can reload decent shells. I have an old Lee hand loader in 12 gauge and they do work...just slowly.

Gary
Old August 2, 2018, 08:11 PM   #32
Grant 14

I just went out to the garage and found that the universal decapping die will work just fine if I get a #5 shell holder and drill the hole big enough to take the larger shotshell primers. I had a set of 35 whelan dies and they appear like it would be easy to ream them to take the 3 inch 410s. I need to cut the plastic off of a hull and see if the 35 whelan base is the same as a 410. I have 30-06 cases to measure the base diameter (not the rim) and see if it is the same. I have a machinist friend that can probably do it if I give him good measurements. This will be a fun experiment but I would rather just buy ready made dies. I am still curious about that WTS company. Grant.
Old August 3, 2018, 09:18 PM   #33
Unclenick
Staff

Yes. I've found dies for .410 all-brass shells, but nothing for paper and plastic. You have to check the fine print. Buffalo Arms sells the ones that CH4D makes. There was a small outfit offering solid brass dies, which I found to be an odd choice of materials.
Old August 5, 2018, 04:45 PM   #34
Grant 14

A little more messing around and I have given up on thinking a regular press would work for 410. The size of the primer is the problem. My idea of drilling the shell holder to allow the primer to drop thru would work except that the groove in the ram is too narrow for the wide primers and I doubt if a primer arm is available that would work. I was told that Cabellas sells a conversion for a MEC loader to do 410. I havent been able to find it on the internet. Does anyone know if it is actually available? Grant.
Old August 5, 2018, 04:57 PM   #35
Unclenick
Staff

Is this what you meant? https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/10898
Old August 6, 2018, 08:55 AM   #36
Grant 14

Unclenick, you are better with the internet than I am. I never did find that. It doesnt do much good if it is only for 2.5 inch shells since I have rarely seen them on the market. I think I will back off of this project for a while and concentrate on getting up to speed on reloading for my 20 gauge. I Thank all of you for your help. ____Grant.
Old August 6, 2018, 01:17 PM   #37
gwpercle

If de-priming is the problem then de-prime off the press. A simple pin punch , with the shell over a hole and then knock the primer out.....the way it's done with a Lee hand loader kit.
You could also just get brass shells , the CH4D dies will work with brass shells .
The 410 brass shells also use Large Pistol primers
Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; August 6, 2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old August 6, 2018, 02:05 PM   #38
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant 14
I went looking on youtube and found all kinds of hammer and wooden dowel type of information which doesnt interest me, but I ran across a video from a company called WTS which had 2 die sets for 410 shotshells that work in a regular rifle press. Then I tried to find the company and found a lot of references to WTS but no company. Does anyone know if they are out of business? They didnt look any different than rifle dies and just as easy to use. ____Grant.
I mentioned in post #16 that the WTS dies are out there, but no longer produced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
Single-stage dies are not practical.
You can find a used press, as FITASC mentioned, for fairly cheap. Dies cost the same, or more, and are only suitable for brass cases. (CH-4D offers them. RCBS used to - might still. Lee made them for a short time, so finding a used set might be possible.) Exception: A company called "WTS" made dies for plastic hulls several years ago, but they are no longer in production and were made in very limited quantities.
-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant 14
Unclenick, you are better with the internet than I am. I never did find that. It doesnt do much good if it is only for 2.5 inch shells since I have rarely seen them on the market.

2.5" is the modern standard for .410 ammo.
What do you shoot? Just 3" stuff? Or do you have a stash of old 2" shells?