The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 4, 2011, 11:51 AM   #1
Ringolevio

Recommended reading

Note to Moderators: This is not intended as a "drive-by post", nor is it intended to agitate. I earnestly believe that the article in question will be of interest to that segment of the TFL membership who are concerned about "gun control" issues and who seek to understand the strategy and tactics of those who are working to limit our RKBA.

I'd like to recommend an article on today's American Thinker website:
http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/..._violence.html

In it, you'll read how Supt. Garry McCarthy, Chicago's top cop, claims that guns are racist, that guns are to blame for urban violence, and that gun manufacturers grow rich from urban violence. And you'll read the author's analysis of the psychology behind McCarthy's statement, and thus its appeal.

McCarthy's remarks, BTW, were delivered at the church presided over by Father Michael Pfleger, who once vowed to "snuff out" gun rights supporters in Chicago.

Last edited by Ringolevio; August 4, 2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old August 4, 2011, 12:21 PM   #2
scud

the guys name is Mccarthy

I think that says it all
Old August 4, 2011, 01:00 PM   #3
sarge1967

Perhaps another cow will kick a lantern over........

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk
Old August 4, 2011, 08:44 PM   #4
Bud Helms

I think one of the reasons you are not getting any discussion is primarily because this story is over a month old. June 24 is when I first read the story.

I will say I think the American Thinker article is a good read.
Old August 4, 2011, 11:15 PM   #5
Ringolevio

Thanks, Bud!

Bud Helms:
Quote:
I think one of the reasons you are not getting any discussion is primarily because this story is over a month old. June 24 is when I first read the story.
Touché! I only became aware of it by reading about it on AT today.

Frankly, I'm not sure what kind of "discussion" I was hoping to elicit, so much as just recommending the article to the membership, although I would have hoped for more, um, constructive comments than what have been offered thus far.

I was trying to refrain from editorializing about it in my OP.

Quote:
I will say I think the American Thinker article is a good read.
'Hope you and others read AT frequently. In my "real life", I've had a dozen or more pieces published on AT and had an article published there just yesterday.

American Thinker goes better with my morning coffee than any newspaper I can think of!

Cheers, "Ringolevio"
Old August 4, 2011, 11:46 PM   #6
Caboclo

I agree with it all except his implication that there was no poverty or crime before the '60s. I think it's obvious that the sexual revolution greatly wounded the family, and thereby greatly wounded society as a whole. But it's a bit of a stretch to assume that everyone before that was an upstanding, responsible citizen.

Quote:
Perhaps another cow will kick a lantern over........
Sarge, hit me with a little education: what are you referring to here?
Old August 5, 2011, 12:38 AM   #7
Ringolevio

Puzzling posts

Caboclo:
Quote:
Quote:
"Perhaps another cow will kick a lantern over........"
Sarge, hit me with a little education: what are you referring to here?
The allusion was to the Great Chicago Fire of Oct. 1871, which burned for almost 2 days and cost some 300 lives and left some 100,000 people homeless. It was said to have been started when Mrs. O'Leary's cow kicked over a lantern.

What baffles me is Scud's post:
Quote:
the guys name is Mccarthy
I think that says it all.
Huh? Is Scud thinking of Charlie McCarthy, ventriloquist Edgar Bergen's (Candice Bergen's dad) dummy? That would kinda make sense.

Or could Scud be alluding to Sen. Joe McCarthy? We're supposed to think "Tailgunner Joe" was a raving lunatic.

But he was branded a paranoic nutjob because, in the '50s, he dared to suggest that Hollywood and our government had been infiltrated by Commies and Comsymps; so the name "McCarthy" is, for some, synonymous with "witch hunt".

But if that's what Scud meant, I don't get it, because it would seem that the senator and the Chicago police superintendent represent opposing political teams (that's not an allusion to Sen. McCarthy's aide, Roy Cohn; he definitely "played for the other team").

Or is there another McCarthy?

Imagine, Communists and their sympathizers worming their way into America's culture and halls of power! How ridiculous!

Last edited by Ringolevio; August 5, 2011 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old August 5, 2011, 08:43 AM   #8
scud

I was speaking of Joe Mccarthy the anti commie crusader.
Old August 6, 2011, 12:13 AM   #9
Bud Helms

Firearms ... the topic of discussion is at the link in the opening post.

Tags
american thinker , chicago , gun control , urban violence