The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 6, 2017, 01:13 PM   #1
Prof Young

Distance to trigger?

Shooters:
Is there a "name" for the distance from the back of a handgun butt (Where your thumb web would rest.) to the trigger? I am discovering that that distance has a serious affect on how well I shoot. I suppose that distance is one of the things we are talking about when we talk about how well a gun does or does not fit our hand.

Life is good.

Prof Young
Old August 6, 2017, 01:21 PM   #2
10-96

I've always wondered that too. I liken the term to Length Of Pull as with a shotgun, but for the most part have kept those musings to myself lest I be giggled at.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 6, 2017, 01:31 PM   #3
reddog81

I'm not sure of the term but it is fairly important. Too short and your finger starts to wrap around the trigger. Too long and you have to reposition your hand to make it to the trigger. I'm glad I have average size hands because most normal sized guns fit me just right.
Old August 6, 2017, 05:22 PM   #4
Prof Young

I didn't think about it much until . . .

I didn't think about this distance much until I started working on being a better shot in DA mode. On my Springfield XDE it is just about as far as I can stretch to get the first pad of my trigger finger on the trigger. However my EAA Windicator 38/357 is no sweat to get the first joint of my trigger finger on the trigger.

Lots to learn.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old August 6, 2017, 05:56 PM   #5
mete

Length of pull on a shotgun or rifle is the BUTT to trigger distance !
From the pistol grip to the trigger on a shotgun or rifle is the trigger reach.
Even some of the gun companies get that wrong !
For a handgun with DA/SA trigger it gets complicated as I understand that it should have two trigger reach numbers.
I was once asked about making a custom grips on a revolver as he was having problems. I asked him to hold up his hand next to mine .His hand was the same size as mine but his fingers were 1/2"longer !! I told him to cover the back strap by 1/2" on his K frame. Next time I saw him he was a happy shooter , he had followed my advice and the grips were perfect for him !

Just having a single action trigger on an auto makes things much easier ! Having a gun where you have to change the way you shoot with DA and SA is crazy !!
Old August 6, 2017, 06:12 PM   #6
Frank Ettin
Staff

I've seen that dimension referred to as "trigger reach." And I agree it's an important consideration and affects how well one will shoot a particular gun.

I have small hands. There are some guns which because of their trigger reach I can't manage well. The Beretta 92 or a Smith & Wesson N frame in double action are a lost cause for me, but the S&W J, K, and L frame work well for me.

I can generally manage a stock Glock 19 reasonably well, but the grip reductions I had done to my Glock 19s by ROBAR improved the situation notably. And I always fit short triggers to my 1911s.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old August 8, 2017, 12:50 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

The term I've seen most often, and the one I use is "trigger reach"

Distance from the mid point of the trigger, straight back to the rear edge of the frame/grip.
Old August 8, 2017, 07:03 AM   #8
Cosmodragoon

I have long fingers so I like a lot of whatever this quantity is called. The large back-strap replacements that hike up towards the beaver tail on some handguns are practically a Godsend.. With revolvers, having a little material between the frame and my hand does more than just dampen shock. It sets the trigger just a tad further out. It makes a difference in both comfort and double-action accuracy.
Old August 8, 2017, 08:05 AM   #9
gnystrom

Good thread. Much is overlooked with respect to grip size and angle.

In my opinion having your shot break as your finger is perpendicular to the trigger would be ideal. Modern polymer semi autos provide a variety of back straps to achieve this goal.
I believe grip angle is equally important which is so many shooters tend to shoot Glock pistols center right (rt. handed shooter). The minute I added a grip force adapter to my gen 4 G19 my shots moved back to center.

With my students I find a person with large hands can adapt to most anything but an individual with small hands needs to pay attention to grip size and trigger break.
Old August 9, 2017, 10:33 AM   #10
tipoc

It's called "trigger reach". It's been an important factor in how a gun fits the hand for a long time, since hands and guns. It's one of the reasons so many aftermarket stocks have been sold for pistols and revolvers for decades.

It's one reason "trigger shoes" used to be so popular.

A grip that covers the backstrap of a revolver often works well for people with large hands. While the exposed backstrap often works better for shooters with smaller hands or shorter fingers.

Walter Roper discusses this in his old book "Pistol and Revolver Shooting". Chic Gaylord (best known for his holsters) discusses it in his book some.

Trigger reach is also one of the central reasons J frames are harder to shoot than larger framed guns. The distance is too short for many hands to have optimum leverage on the trigger for some and too much trigger is an issue for others.

Trigger reach has been one reason the 1911 has been popular for so long--between changing out the trigger for one of different length, changing the stocks to fit the hand and the job, changing the grip safety and the mainspring housing, you have an extremely adaptable gun.

tipoc
Old September 2, 2017, 10:44 PM   #11
Prof Young

Trigger Reach! Got it. Makes sense. Well the trigger reach on my Springfield XDE is kind of long. The whole butt seems kind of oversized. I like the gun a lot but wish it had a small "handle."

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old September 3, 2017, 09:33 AM   #12
shooter1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoc View Post
It's called "trigger reach". It's been an important factor in how a gun fits the hand for a long time, since hands and guns. It's one of the reasons so many aftermarket stocks have been sold for pistols and revolvers for decades.

It's one reason "trigger shoes" used to be so popular.

A grip that covers the backstrap of a revolver often works well for people with large hands. While the exposed backstrap often works better for shooters with smaller hands or shorter fingers.

Walter Roper discusses this in his old book "Pistol and Revolver Shooting". Chic Gaylord (best known for his holsters) discusses it in his book some.

Trigger reach is also one of the central reasons J frames are harder to shoot than larger framed guns. The distance is too short for many hands to have optimum leverage on the trigger for some and too much trigger is an issue for others.

Trigger reach has been one reason the 1911 has been popular for so long--between changing out the trigger for one of different length, changing the stocks to fit the hand and the job, changing the grip safety and the mainspring housing, you have an extremely adaptable gun.

tipoc
Very well stated and spot on. I have a short trigger reach and that's why I carry 1911s or a Jframe (340PD) daily. All of me 1911s have short Videki style triggers, Gunsight Lo Mount safeties, and flat main spring housings. When it comes to large revolvers it becomes a challenge. I carry a 629 Mountain Gun in the field loaded with 250gr HC Keith with near max loads, and if I use a grip without a back strap, trigger reach is better, but it is very painful to shoot. Although a bit too big for my hand I use the S&W Tamer grips that come on the 460 and 500 S&W's. They have a gel back strap to absorb recoil. Not ideal for my hand but very necessary. Trigger reach is a real concern for many shooters who know what they are doing, but luckily there are solutions.
Old September 3, 2017, 10:52 AM   #13
mete

Make sure you look at all the variables ! For example with my large hand and my 1911 I need a flat backstrap [mainspring housing ] My hand does not touch the wood !! The front and back straps are checkered [flat top ] for a very firm grip. The wood then does not need to be checkered so it shows off a nice piece of rosewood ! Long trigger is best for me .
It was nice to have a pistol that was easily modified ! Finally , many modern pistols were equipped with interchangeable grip panels !! I laughed at police units that all members had to carry the same pistol. Did they make all members wear the same size shoes ? same size trousers Etc ?
Old September 3, 2017, 11:52 AM   #14
T. O'Heir

Trigger Reach is as good name as any. Never seen it called anything but the assorted gun rag writers just assume whatever firearm will fit everybody. So they don't mention it. Ever seen any of 'em talk about a Desert Eagle being a great big SOB?
"...that distance has a serious affect on how well I shoot..." Absolutely. If you can't reach the trigger with just inside the pad of your finger, it doesn't fit. Sometimes changing the grip will make it fit, but not likely on a compact like an XDE. DA's can just be that way. You cannot alter the frame. S'why you must try a pistol on for size before buying the thing.
"...police units that all members had to carry the same pistol..." That'd be nearly all PD's. Military's the same.
Old September 3, 2017, 08:31 PM   #15
Mr. Hill

Yup, the trigger reach is a big factor. Like cosmo, I've got big hands and long fingers. The small pistols or J-frames are a no go for me. I like 1911's with long triggers, L-frames, etc.

I love browning hi-powers, but they just won't fit my hand/trigger finger. Ah, to have normal sized hands....
Old September 4, 2017, 05:38 PM   #16
Carmady

I think of trigger reach as being similar to pedal reach on a vehicle, except on a vehicle you can move the seat closer to and further from the pedals to fit your legs.