The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 29, 2019, 03:25 PM   #1
Hoffman123

CMP experience

I just ordered a service grade M1 grand from CMP and am wonder what your experiences are with them? Was condition of the rifle you received as described? Wait times ect...
Old October 29, 2019, 03:40 PM   #2
DukeConnor

I am sure you will be thrilled with the purchase
Old October 29, 2019, 03:43 PM   #3
MTT TL

It has been many years since I have bought anything from them but I was never unsatisfied.
Old October 29, 2019, 09:17 PM   #4
Nodak1858

Expect what the website says for the grade and you won't get anything less than that. A lot of folks see the cream of the crop and expect lock bars, great looking GI wood and a matching finish. These rifles have been through rebuilds and some stored in far away countries. But service grades are nice buys, Lord knows I've spent more than my fair share of paychecks with the CMP. I'm sure you'll get a rifle to be happy with, and if there are issues CMP treats folks right and will take care of any problems.
Old October 30, 2019, 03:15 AM   #5
veprdude

Get the best grade you can afford. You probably won't be able to buy the Field Grade and get it up to Service Grade specs for the difference.

I agree that they advertise the lowest condition it could come and and you'll generally get better. Of course with M1s, don't expect a new gun. Also, my IHC came in dry and a little dirty with powder residue. I think they function check them and that's about it. No grease where it's supposed to be.
Old October 30, 2019, 06:49 AM   #6
agtman

I have SGs in every make including three S.A. SGs. All came with a USGI barrel and USGI wood, and in-spec GI parts. One is a 'correct' IHC SG that came that way off the rack at the NS. Luck of the draw.

Upside is, SGs give you a shootable piece of U.S. military history which you can pass on to your heirs. All my SGs are 'decent' but not 'great' shooters. Only one is what I'd call a consistently good shooter. That one is a '50s rebuild on a Winchester ('43) receiver with a 1954 S.A. barrel. Also in well-worn GI wood.

All of those SGs are easily out-shot by my CMP 'Specials' that sport Criterion barrels (in 30-06 or. 308) and wear tight-fitting Dupage stock sets. Right there you've got two of the four 'accurizing' elements that push a CMP Special past the SG M1s for accuracy at the range. Add a trigger job and possibly staking the gas cylinder to the barrel (if it needs it), and your groups tighten up even more. (Shuff's Parkerizing can do that work, just FYI).

If you're just looking for a 'shooter' M1, the best deal going is CMP's Field Grade Special - $650. New Criterion '06 barrel and new Dupage wood. Again, two of the elements that make for a tight shooting Garand.

Downside is, there'll likely be some amount of pitting visible on the refinished receiver above the wood line. Most posts & reports I've seen say the pitting isn't horrible, and it doesn't effect safety or functional reliability. All other parts on the FG Special (bolt, op rod, gas cylinder, etc) are in-spec GI.

It's the sort of M1 that would make a nice truck gun.
Old November 14, 2019, 11:51 AM   #7
langenc

Man I wish Id bought when they were more readily available and for less than $200 for the better ones.
Old November 15, 2019, 07:42 AM   #8
Road_Clam

Purchased a M1 "Special" in -06 and that 3 month wait was the WORST as far as excited anticipation. When I finally opened the case for the first time I was blown away at the outstanding fit and finish of the Specials. Think I paid about $1040 back in 2013. Excellent shooter as well. Always hear excellent feedback on the quality of the service grades. No worries !
Old November 15, 2019, 11:54 AM   #9
Kreyzhorse

I bought a service grade Springfield and was very happy with the quality of the rifle. I could not have expected a better rifle than what I got.

My friend just bought an International Harverester and while a little rough, he too was pleased and got a better rifle than what he expected.

CMP is simply fantastic.
Old November 15, 2019, 05:25 PM   #10
Mycin

I bought a service grade about 20 years ago. I dropped by a local gunsmith that I knew collected M1's to have it checked out before firing it. He asked where I got it. When I said the CMP, he said, "I thought they were currently out of Special grade rifles." He said it was the nicest service grade he had come across. It's a Springfield that dates to May of '44.

Needless to say, I'm happy with the experience.
Old November 15, 2019, 05:34 PM   #11
Hoffman123

Update. I received my rifle today! Serial number on receiver has it manufactured in 1945 (Springfield). It has a lock bar rear sight and a Springfield stock with some rack numbers painted on it. It all looks to be made by Springfeild. The barrel was manufactured in 1955. Throat was a 2 and muzzle is a 1+. I am very satisfied.
Old November 15, 2019, 08:25 PM   #12
lunger

Congrats ! Sounds like you got a great one. Pictures would be appreciated .
Old November 15, 2019, 09:46 PM   #13
'88Scrat

I have 2 M1 rifles from the CMP. Absolutely would recommend!! Both times I got them at my door exactly 20 days from the day I put the envelope in the mail.
Old November 15, 2019, 10:08 PM   #14
Hoffman123

I tried to post some pics but it keeps failing to upload.