The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 12, 2000, 02:08 PM   #1
foxfire

I'm looking for info on an old shotgun that used to belong to my wife's grandfather.
It's a single shot 30" barrel, 12 gauge 'Nitro Hunter' (ser.#657X) made by Belknap Hardware and Mfg. Co. It's in, at least, 95% condition.

Any help and advice on it's history, date of manufacture, or relative worth is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

------------------
...defend the 2nd., it protects us all.
No fate but what we make...
Old February 12, 2000, 03:43 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Foxfire:
I did not locate the "Nitro Hunter" however from your description etc. My records indicate that possibly your shotgun is the Belknap B68D and is actually the Savage 94D
Model 94D:

Which is also the Springfield single barrel shotgun with same mod. No. Made from 1937-1939

HJN
Old February 12, 2000, 09:14 PM   #3
foxfire

Harley,

Thanks for the response.
I've just looked it over again and can't find any other markings except for the words: 'reinforced breech, choke bored' on top of the barrel.

My wife said that she was told that it was given to her grandfather by his father, which would make it over 100 years old. Unfortunately, there's no one left on that side of the family.

Is there anyone else out there that might know something?

------------------
Old February 13, 2000, 10:29 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Can you give us more of a description? Is it damascus barreled, visible hammer, type of action etc? Are there any proof marks under the forearm wood or in the breechblock area?
The more descriptive you are, perhaps the better we can answer your questions.
Old February 13, 2000, 02:08 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Belknap was/is a hardware store chain around Kentucky. Like Sears, Montgomery Ward, Western Auto, and others, they had various companies make guns with their name over a rather long period of time.

Jim
Old February 13, 2000, 03:00 PM   #6
foxfire

Thanks fal308 and Jim for your interest.

I'll try to describe it in more detail.
I don't know what is meant by 'damascus barreled'? It's a relatively heavy blued barrel, thick on the breech end, and tapered w/ a bead front sight 1/2" from the bore end.
The hammer is visible (single action), with an unlocking lever on top of receiver, an inch behind the hammer. The lever moves to the right to open the breech. No extractor.

Between the words Nitro Hunter is the skull of a ram etched/machined on the left side of the receiver. Underneath are the words "trade mark reg'd".
The proof mark/ser.#(?)6574, has been hand punched in the left side of the breechblock area as well as on the receiver, an inch behind the trigger guard. Very large trigger guard.
Beautiful wood stock, and wood butt plate. No carvings.

That's about all I can add w/out some more specific questions. Sorry, if I haven't been too clear on some of the terminology or description(s).
Thanks again.

------------------
Old February 13, 2000, 10:30 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Foxfire,

Just FYI, Damascus barrels were made by getting pieces of iron or steel red hot, then wrapping them around a rod and welding them together with a hammer. This was kept up until the barrel was the right length, then the rod was removed and the barrel reamed to the right diameter inside and ground to shape on the outside. This was obviously not a strong barrel which is why the question was asked. Damascus barrel guns should not be fired, and most especially not with modern ammunition.

But at the time that gun was probably made (around the last 00 year) smokeless powder, called "Nitro" powder had been introduced and the term was used on shotguns that had solid steel barrels to indicate that they could be used safely with the new powder.

Sorry I can't be more specific about maker, etc., but there were a number of makers selling these guns, sometimes for as little as $4.00, a low price even at the time. As I said earlier, Belknap made no guns. They simply bought in quantity and had the actual maker use their name for advertising purposes.

Jim

Jim
Old February 14, 2000, 09:16 PM   #8
foxfire

Thanks for the help.
Looks like a tough nut to crack.
I'll keep on trying; who knows what I may eventually turn up...

------------------
Old November 28, 2005, 01:47 AM   #9
rocketitmann

In the attic

I was in the attic yesterday,in my grandparents house.When i first walked in there layed a old shotgun,it happens to be a nitro hunter. i to am intrested in any info on this gun thanks.
Old November 28, 2005, 08:10 AM   #10
pipoman

Above info probably applies to your gun as well.

Old November 28, 2005, 08:19 AM   #11
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

This is what I have on the Hunter shotguns

HUNTER
H&D FOLSOM & Crescent ARMS CO ON SHOTGUNS MADE FOR THE BELKNAP HARDWARE CO OF LOUIS KY

HUNTER ARMS Co
SHOTGUN MFG WHO PURCHASED THE L.C. SMITH GUN CO OF SYRACUSE NY -1890- AND CONTINUED TO MAKE THE L.C. SMITH SHOTGUN, ALONG WITH HUNTER AND FULTON BRAND GUNS. TAKEN OVER BY MARLIN 1948

HJN