The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 21, 2018, 12:30 AM   #26
jstert

Thoughts on Ruger single six

ruger single six is one of the few indispensable handguns. brick like a brick outhouse, so your unborn grandchildren will enjoy it. single action makes it a great “by the numbers” teaching/learning tool. 22lr for endless fun plinking, 22wmr for some protective oomph. don’t neglect the magnum cylinder, it is actually more accurate in 22wmr. politically correct anywhere. pairs nicely with a shotgun or centerfire rifle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old November 21, 2018, 07:40 AM   #27
GarandTd

Quote:
Then why did you?
You got me, Cheapshooter. I get sucked in every time.
Old November 21, 2018, 09:09 PM   #28
ThomasT

Quote:
Being a convertible it is actually a .22 magnum revolver with an accessory .22lr cylinder. The magnum bore diameter is actually a little larger than it is for a .22 LR only bore.
First I would be surprised if Ruger really makes a barrel for the 22LR only version that is .001 smaller than the barrel on the convertable gun. And its a moot point because I have measured many 22LR bullets and not a single one of them have measured .223. They have all been between .224-.226 in diameter. They are the same size or bigger than the bullet used in the 22 magnum round. So the myth of the barrel being sized for the 22 mag round is just that. A myth.

More important is to shoot several 22lr loads and see what your gun likes. I did that once and it was an eye opener as to the differences you get between ammo brands and bullet designs. Especially in a handgun.

And the Ruger Single Six is one of the best 22 handguns you can own.

And I like the 22 mag. I don't care that they cost more than the 22lr rounds. They are a real step up in power from the 22 and they come with a real jacketed bullet unless you buy the CCI with its soft plating which I don't care for.
Old November 22, 2018, 08:25 AM   #29
tallball

I just use mine for plinking and paper targets, so even when I had a 22 magnum cylinder I didn't use it much. If I need to shoot a copperhead in the backyard I use a 410 single-shot. If I am walking my doggies in areas where bobcats or coyotes are present, I carry my 32 H&R magnum Single Six. That's just me. YMMV.
Old November 22, 2018, 10:26 AM   #30
Brutus

Picked up the Ruger but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. It's heavier than I thought it would be and obviously built like a tank. Really grateful that the roll marking is under the barrel instead of on the side of it. Are all Rugers like that now?
Old November 22, 2018, 12:09 PM   #31
Drm50

A Ruger Single-6 was my first new 22 pistol when I was a kid. Compared to all my buddies
H&Rs, IJs and imports it was a target gun. I have no idea the round count on it, all I can
say is thousands. I carried it like a pen knife. I had a holster sewn in my news paper bag
for it. The canvas was a little hard on the blue and I carried it so much the walnut grips
look like black marble. It is really not a target pistol but it had the accuracy and durability
that made it worth carrying. I didn't know what a target gun was until I shot a S&W K22.
I was very protective of the K22, it didn't get carried in the field only in padded case. It
took me awhile to realize I should be carrying the K22 even if it got dinged a little. I just
about quit carrying the S-6 , but always took it along on plinking sessions. Still have both of
them, over 50yrs- thousands of rounds through them and not one broken part. I know that
I have owned over 100 top shelf 22 revolvers, they come and go but these two manage to
stay home.
Old November 22, 2018, 12:30 PM   #32
Nanuk

I bought a stainless SS in 1975, it still works after untold thousands of rounds.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 22, 2018, 03:52 PM   #33
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratshooter View Post
First I would be surprised if Ruger really makes a barrel for the 22LR only version that is .001 smaller than the barrel on the convertable gun. And its a moot point because I have measured many 22LR bullets and not a single one of them have measured .223. They have all been between .224-.226 in diameter. They are the same size or bigger than the bullet used in the 22 magnum round. So the myth of the barrel being sized for the 22 mag round is just that. A myth.

More important is to shoot several 22lr loads and see what your gun likes. I did that once and it was an eye opener as to the differences you get between ammo brands and bullet designs. Especially in a handgun.

And the Ruger Single Six is one of the best 22 handguns you can own.

And I like the 22 mag. I don't care that they cost more than the 22lr rounds. They are a real step up in power from the 22 and they come with a real jacketed bullet unless you buy the CCI with its soft plating which I don't care for.
From other forums and videos I've seen, Ruger uses the same bore diameter for their 9mm and .357 revolvers, so the idea that they use different barrels for .22 LR and .22 Mag is silly. I had thought that Ruger used more appropriate sized bores for their 9mm and .357 barrels, but they don't. It all goes back to cost and it costs Ruger less to use the same barrels for .22 LR and Mag, .357 and 9mm than to have to make, inspect, inventory all different barrels.
Old November 22, 2018, 04:20 PM   #34
Hawg

They're good guns and the Single Six is the only Ruger revolver I would own and the only Ruger I've regretted selling.
Old November 22, 2018, 04:47 PM   #35
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Absolutely!

Rough Rider 6 1/2" @ 10 yds.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 22, 2018, 04:55 PM   #36
ThomasT

Quote:
From other forums and videos I've seen, Ruger uses the same bore diameter for their 9mm and .357 revolvers, so the idea that they use different barrels for .22 LR and .22 Mag is silly. I had thought that Ruger used more appropriate sized bores for their 9mm and .357 barrels, but they don't. It all goes back to cost and it costs Ruger less to use the same barrels for .22 LR and Mag, .357 and 9mm than to have to make, inspect, inventory all different barrels.
I have read S&W uses the same size barrels for 9mm and 38/357. Why not? There is only .002 difference in size on the bullets. About the thickness of the average human hair. I have shot .358 lead bullets for my 38 out of my S&W moldel 39 and they fed and cycled just fine. Older european 9mm guns had barrel sizes all over the map. That works OK with jacketed bullets but you need to slug the bore if you load lead or you may end up with a lead plated bore.

And the English prefer slightly loose bores on their rifles compared to the tighter American made rifle bores. Test a gun and ammo will tell more than spending time looking at specs that may or may not be what you expected.
Old November 24, 2018, 12:28 PM   #37
ThomasT

Cheapshooter your target shows exactly what I was talking about when it comes to testing different ammo to see what groups best. And your group with the Remington Golden Bullets is a perfect example. Most really like to pile on about how Golden bullets are crap and not worth buying. But your group proves otherwise.

They were my 22 round of choice many years ago. And maybe quality did go down and the the golden plating came off and got all over everything. I never had any problems and the last plated bullets I bought from them had a very thin plating on them so maybe Remington listened. But it shows how important testing your gun is. And the most expensive ammo may not be the most accurate.
Old November 24, 2018, 04:12 PM   #38
Brutus

Got the Ruger out to the range today. Kind of disappointing in that for some reason the rear sight was dialed in about 4" to the left ( visibly off center) and 2" high. Was able to get the elevation where it should be but windage screw is so small none of my screw drivers would fit. Still in all after applying some Kentucky windage it was pretty accurate.
Old November 24, 2018, 04:42 PM   #39
ThomasT

I carry a tool box in my truck and I have a tiny screwdriver in there just to adjust those tiny sights.
Old November 25, 2018, 01:34 AM   #40
44 AMP
Staff

Every second Tuesday, Ruger owners in the Happy Hunting Grounds line up to SLAP the shade of Bill Ruger for the rear sight screw, AND not putting a screwdriver for it with the gun.

Old November 25, 2018, 05:09 PM   #41
Brutus

Yeah and what's more it's an oddball size. Drivers of the proper width are to thick to fit in the slot and conversely if their narrow enough to fit the slot they are 1/2 the width, go figure.
Old November 26, 2018, 11:56 AM   #42
Salmoneye

Quote:
I have read S&W uses the same size barrels for 9mm and 38/357. Why not?
I assume that the reason the barrels are the 'same', is because SAAMI specs for 9mm Luger, .38SPCL, and .357 Magnum are the same at .355" Groove, and .346" Bore (also .357 Max)...
Old November 26, 2018, 12:58 PM   #43
NoSecondBest

I bought a Ruger SS back around 1990, so I could have a revolver to shoot IHMSA Silhouette with. That gun was one of the most accurate revolvers I ever owned. With good quality ammo (Eley std. vel.) it was a tack driver. I took it to the IHMSA Internationals and shot a 77x80 with that gun. I came in third place with it shooting against all the premium brands of revolvers out there. Not saying that they all shot that good, but that's an indication of how much potential they have. Wish I hadn't sold it after I quit shooting silhouette.
Old November 26, 2018, 06:42 PM   #44
shafter

You can't ever go wrong with a Single Six.
Old November 27, 2018, 03:41 AM   #45
bamaranger

Single 6

My Dad's came my way after his death in 2002, 6.5" tube, convertible .22lr/.22M, blue steel. First thing I learned, Dad had no where near a working zero with the .22lr cylinder in it, at least for me. Next, basically because I had all the .22 handgun I wanted in a MKII Standard model Ruger auto pistol, I put the .22mag cylinder in Dad's Single 6. It's been in there ever since. Finally, because of the longer tube, I shoot the 6.5" gun better than most all my other handguns.....I see the front sight better a bit farther out there.

The only load I can get the sights to adjust to is the original W-W 40 gr JHP or FMJ load. All other makes or bullet weights shoot high and there is not sufficient depression in the rear sight to get POA/POI. That bothers me not a bit really, the W-W ammo suits me fine. The cost doesn't bother me either, because as a woods/trail/pest gun, I don't shoot large quantities of ammo from it, .....22 lr in other guns serves that purpose.

I shot quite a few armadillos with the revolver in .22 mag with the JHP round, and the difference in killing power of the mag round over the .22 lr seems apparent. The mag round would also punch through various materials like sheet metal better than the .22lr, not that that was much of a measure of much use, but the .22 mag was clearly more powerful.

The gun rides in a flap holster, modified for cross draw, on a cartridge belt, I think both are from Triple K. Cross draw allows the long tube to get out of the way in the Bronco, or on the ATV. If I am not carrying a heavy handgun, the Single 6 in .22 mag is the one that usually still comes along.
Old November 27, 2018, 07:31 AM   #46
Elkins45

I'll be the downer in the group and say I didn't really care for the one I briefly owned. Single unloading of those skinny little 22 cases is the very definition of boring. I much prefer an auto or a DA revolver with a swing out cylinder. I make no pretense of being a cowboy.

I love my 357 Blackhawk but for 22 I don't care for the single action format.
Old November 27, 2018, 07:35 AM   #47
Targa

^^^The loading and unloading certainly becomes a bit tedious with the little rounds in single actions.
Old November 27, 2018, 12:46 PM   #48
shurshot

Drm50's experience mirrors mine, exactly! Over the years I have owned many .22's revolvers ... only the Ruger SS remains under my roof. Ruger is head and shoulders above the Heritage. The Ruger SS is also better than the Colt .22's I briefly owned.

Loading and unloading single actions is half the fun!
Old December 14, 2018, 02:54 PM   #49
ZVP

Wolf spring co
Old December 14, 2018, 03:05 PM   #50
ZVP

I have owned a 6" convertable for around 20 yrs what a great revolver!
At 50 yds the 22WMR shoots like a rifle! Favorite 22 rimfire target is a 4' piece of r/r track stuck in ground vertically @ 50 yds, the 40 grain W/W Wildcats ring it like a bell few misses if you use the front sight.
Totally reliable, rarely gums up with powder and NEVER misfires!!!
Wish I had a 3" bbl snobby as a hideout.