The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 3, 2018, 04:54 PM   #1
TacticoolMallNinja

Tikka t3x superlite VS. savage 110 lightweight storm

Alright, right off the bat the tikka t3 guarantees 1 moa and after seeing some reviews I doubt anybody who owns a tikka t3 series rifle would disagree. The savage on the other hand is pretty new, they don't guarantee anything but obviously a bolt gun made by savage at that price range ain't gonna perform much worse, heck my budget level Ruger American is pretty darn close to shooting 1MOA . So which one would you pick?

Tikka 5.9 lbs 24'' 6.5 Creedmoor, or
Savage 5.5 lbs 20'' 6.5 Creedmoor, both have stainless barrels

Now based on my knowledge 4'' reduced barrel length has zero effect on precision, velocity loss is not a concern, if I had to take a 1000 yard shot I wouldn't mind pointing the rifle a couple inches higher. Just wanna know what yall think.
Old April 3, 2018, 05:52 PM   #2
fourbore

I would get the Tikka based on reputation alone. The odds are you will do better than 1moa and more important the Tikka is a better rifle. It is a better action with reduced bolt lift. The stocks I have seen look pretty good for synthetic while not kevlar or carbon fiber- -pretty darn good. Basically a Sako barrel.

The only potential plus I see for savage is aftermarket support. Out of the box, I am not impressed. You mention Ruger, I would be just as happy with a ruger.

I also like the TC venture, but; I am not familiar enough to know what model might correspond to these two. In any case, Tikka is a safe bet - accuracy and quality.

The 20" barrel would be very handy in heavy cover. Now, that aspect of the choice is not apples to apples. All the accuracy and quality does not count for much if the gun does not handle right (or best) for the task at hand. My buddy got a ruger youth american in 243 and upgraded to an adult stock. Very handy.

Also you point out the weight. If you go alloy rings and select a compact 32 or 33mm scope those ounces matter. if you need big 40mm or larger glass, then forget weight. And forget the barrel length. On other hand if you are weight watching the total package then 0.4 pounds is real weight.

You also mention 1000 yard shot. On game? That is crazy talk. You need to be realistic.

Bottom line, all considered, I dont know.
Old April 3, 2018, 07:51 PM   #3
taylorce1

For the money you're looking at for the Tikka and Savage you might consider a Kimber Hunter. They come with an MOA guarantee as well, 5.5 lbs, 22" threaded barrel, and only about $100 more retail over the Savage and Tikka.

I agree that about 1000 yards if you're hunting, if you're target shooting any of these rifles will be so light it'll be difficult to hold steady. Cut that distance in half and you'll be looking at a realistic distance for a light rifle. There is a reason that most long range rifles weigh over 10 lbs.
Old April 3, 2018, 08:10 PM   #4
fourbore

I did not know you could get a Kimber for that price. That sounds like a great option. The barrel might be on the longer side, 22 or 24. But those I handled felt very quick and light. Kimber makes a special small diameter action based on the winchester model 70. Much Lighter.
Old April 3, 2018, 08:58 PM   #5
agtman

Tikka, ... hardly comparable.
Old April 3, 2018, 09:09 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I bought a Tikka t3x Superlight in 7mm-08 last year and couldn't be happier. I also have a Savage 110, that I turned into a custom .243AI.

IMHO, they're not really even comparable rifles. Granted, my Savage isn't the "lightweight storm" model... but then again I've handled quite a few Savage variants and none hold a candle to the t3x.

For what it's worth.
Old April 3, 2018, 10:08 PM   #7
taylorce1

Quote:
I did not know you could get a Kimber for that price.
Yes you can! Kimber 84M Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor, though I was wrong about the threaded barrel it only comes on the more expensive Kimber models.

Savage 110 Lightweight Storm

Tikka T3x Superlight

Last edited by taylorce1; April 3, 2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old April 3, 2018, 10:27 PM   #8
TacticoolMallNinja

Haha looks like the Tikka is getting a lot of love here, the timber looks pretty good as well, thanks guys. BTW the 1000 yards shot I was talking about was if in some rare case I want to shoot steel at that distance.. I wouldn't attempt to shoot an animal past 300 yards cuz you can always get closer.
Old April 4, 2018, 02:22 PM   #9
gw44

I have never had a bad savage rifle, so for that reason I would go Savage !!!
Old April 4, 2018, 02:37 PM   #10
cannon325

i have a tikka forest in 222, .250" with factory loads.
Old April 4, 2018, 04:07 PM   #11
NHSHOOTER

I have a Tikka T3 lite in 223 that will shoot 1 ragged hole 3 shot groups at 100 yds when I do my part (with handloads) I have had it for over 5 yrs and never a malfunction It also sports the first ever made Boyds thumbhole stock made for the T3 lite. I have never owned a Savage so I have no comment on those. My vote is for the Tikka...
Old April 5, 2018, 08:18 PM   #12
ReloadKy

I have a T3X in 7 mag that I love. Shot a 3 shot group today of .384. Tikka’s are hard to beat!!
Old April 7, 2018, 04:44 AM   #13
Wendyj

I own a few Tikkas and love them. Here is a 5 shot group from my 6.5 creedmoor. 130 grain Nosler accubonds using H4350 powder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (44.0 KB, 1061 views)
Old April 7, 2018, 05:24 PM   #14
TacticoolMallNinja

Holy Crap after seeing Wendyj's group I think I've made up my mind
Old April 8, 2018, 06:38 AM   #15
ReloadKy

You will not be disappointed with a Tikka!
Old April 8, 2018, 07:42 AM   #16
NHSHOOTER

Now you have all got me thinking I need another Tikka...
Old December 5, 2018, 10:58 AM   #17
Liberty1951

This has been an extremely helpful thread. I have been comparison shopping these two rifles and thanks to this will go with the Tikka...
Old December 5, 2018, 04:38 PM   #18
RC20

Keep in mind, 3 shot groups are hunting and if that is your use, that is fine.

The 1 MOA is specified with certain ammo - hand loads can match or exceed but it can be a "discussion" with the factory if you can't match with said specific ammo.

I would not own a Tika, I don't like the feel of them. Factory service is reported iffy. Nothing goes wrong and not an issue.

Mine are all Savages but I target shoot and put custom barrels on them and stocks. I can get 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups with that setup. Pros shoot 10 shot groups. Then you really find out how good you and the gun/ammo are! (and I am not)

The hunting acu trigger can be changed to a Varmint (1.5 to 3.5 lbs as I recall) with a spring change and easily adjustable.

Savage is not as slick as a Tika for sure, so you have to balance out what you are going to use it for cost and all that. I suspect you can get the Savage for a lot less. Usually they shoot good, it might not. New barrels are easy on the Savage, I don't know about Tika (I don't think they are drop in)
Old December 5, 2018, 07:08 PM   #19
jmr40

Quote:
This has been an extremely helpful thread. I have been comparison shopping these two rifles and thanks to this will go with the Tikka...
You made the right choice.

If looking at standard weight rifles Savage isn't a bad choice. But when it comes to lightweight rigs Tikka is the far better option. Tikka has the weight where it is needed and lost weight where it doesn't matter.

Winston Churchill
Old December 5, 2018, 07:38 PM   #20
wild willy

I've owned 7 LH 10/110 Savages 3 were stolen.I also own 4 LH Tikkas. I doubt if I'll ever buy another Savage.