The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 29, 2017, 01:40 PM   #51
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E Meyer
Research demonstrates, as I have said before, that justices of all ilk vote their personal beliefs but then search past precedents or interpretations to justify their politics. It is not just a characteristic of the left.
The research can't demonstrate that since the researchers just choose the conclusions they prefer then build the model that will justify their personal conclusions, right?
Old November 29, 2017, 10:21 PM   #52
Bartholomew Roberts

Well Glenn, I know we've had this conversation before. Everytime you mention Scalia's verbage, I feel like I haven't explained my view adequately; but we may just disagree.

I'd suggest that if you need to preserve some aspects of 1939-2007 gun regulation to get that crucial fifth vote, then the golden fleece is ambiguous dicta that gets you that fifth vote and allows lower courts to quote dicta without doing any real judicial analysis. That's doubly true if you have a Second Amendment case brought up before the Court is ready to take it.

In the short term, that will be a loss; but if you can get pro-2A people appointed, that is a strategy that pays off long-term because it stunts the growth of anti-2A judicial review and advances the Second, albeit very slowly.

As you've pointed out, it is also a good political sell since the only way that strategy pans out successfully is by an ability to appoint more pro-2A justices over decades, which means control of at least the White House and Senate by pro-2A folks.
Old November 30, 2017, 09:39 AM   #53
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
Research demonstrates, as I have said before, that justices of all ilk vote their personal beliefs but then search past precedents or interpretations to justify their politics. It is not just a characteristic of the left.

To the basic debate, the rhetoric and what might have been on Heller on votes, etc. does not negate the fact that Scalia (interpreted correctly or not) is used to justify state bans that clearly should be unconstitutional and these precedents are becoming stronger.

Positive behavioral outcomes of Heller besides rhetoric vs. negative usage of the decision will decide it the case was ill-advised and whether the follow ups are ill-advised.
I've always maintained that unelected bureaucrats and judges have done far more damage to this country than politicians. While, technically, politicians could deal with rogue bureaucrats and judges, they rarely do as their actions/decisions are usually supported by one of the two main political parties.
Old December 1, 2017, 01:04 AM   #54
62coltnavy

Petition for Cert DENIED.
Old December 1, 2017, 05:56 AM   #55
armoredman

Let stand a Circuit Court ruling that rifles in common use for 50+ years are not protected under the 2A. I wonder what they are waiting for and why there was zero public commentary from the justices?
Old December 1, 2017, 10:18 AM   #56
Glenn E. Meyer

Well, folks I have my world view on this but appreciate the interchange. I am just frustrated on the behavioral outcomes which have been less than up to my expectations. Are they unrealistic, perhaps?

Quote:
The research can't demonstrate that since the researchers just choose the conclusions they prefer then build the model that will justify their personal conclusions, right?
That depends on the research. That idea is well known in the philosophy and history of science.

It seems to be a facet though, of choosing justices whose writings and utterances are scoured to see if they pass litmus tests on politically loaded items. A judge must be prolife and or prochoice, for example.

Do judges come from a class of intellects whose decisions are based on a neutral and almost mathematical analysis of the law or are they individuals who decisions are based on their emotional and cognitive abilities. The latter decisions processes are filtered through the former - as happens in almost all decision making. Are they the exception, I doubt it.
Old December 1, 2017, 11:43 AM   #57
zukiphile

Quote:
Well, folks I have my world view on this but appreciate the interchange.
As do I. I find your application of the idea literally anti-intellectual, but the disagreement isn't personal.

Quote:
Quote:
That depends on the research.
That's special pleading. It can't depend on the research if the reasoning process is an after-wrtiiten fig leaf for fundamentally irrational urges.

If you believe that people arrive at their positions emotionally then cobble together a reasoning to support that conclusion so that you can dismiss categorically the reasoning set forth in Sup Ct decisions, that same process can't only apply to some research.

Every attorney has read result oriented jurisprudence; a court decides which party should win, then mangles the caselaw and code to get where it wants to go. For a high profile decision in which that happened, I would recommend the Bush/Gore decision of the FL Sup Ct. It's a wreck.

Yet, that isn't what all judges do in all cases. There is a distance in professional analysis that allows one to tell his own client which parts of his case are terrible and why he should settle rather than lose.

Is all psychological research just the emotional ramblings of the researchers, or do you have some kind of responsibility to deal with the text of writing before you dismiss it, even if a judge wrote it?

Quote:
A judge must be prolife and or prochoice, for example.
That isn't actually so. Lots of people have ideas on that topic that won't fit on a bumpersticker.

Quote:
That idea is well known in the philosophy and history of science.
That idea is significantly more complex than the one you've presented. Kuhn's ideas about scientific revolutions describe a cognitive process by which shifting assumptions change what one can perceive. His framework builds on Gadamer and Berkeley and philosophical idealism generally. None if it is the facile dismissal of conclusions you dislike as mere "gut opposition".

Quote:
Do judges come from a class of intellects whose decisions are based on a neutral and almost mathematical analysis of the law or are they individuals who decisions are based on their emotional and cognitive abilities. The latter decisions processes are filtered through the former - as happens in almost all decision making. Are they the exception, I doubt it.
I understand that you doubt it, especially when you disagree with a decision. To doubt that a writer lacks emotions on an issue is reasonable. To attribute an antipathy to a writer in order to dismiss his reasoning isn't.

Last edited by zukiphile; December 2, 2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old December 1, 2017, 12:58 PM   #58
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Only until they are appointed. Then they can be whatever they like...
Old December 1, 2017, 04:00 PM   #59
Psychedelic Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
As do I. I find your application of the idea literally anti-intellectual, but the disagreement isn't personal.

That's special pleading. It can't depend on the research if the reasoning process is an after-wrtiiten fig leaf for fundamentally irrational urges.

If you believe that people arrive at their positions emotionally then cobble together a reasoning to support that conclusion so that you can dismiss categorically the reasoning set forth in Sup Ct decisions, that same process can only apply to some research.

Every attorney has read result oriented jurisprudence; a court decides which party should win, then mangles the caselaw and code to get where it wants to go. For a high profile decision in which that happened, I would recommend the Bush/Gore decision of the FL Sup Ct. It's a wreck.

Yet, that isn't what all judges do in all cases. There is a distance in professional analysis that allows one to tell his own client which parts of his case are terrible and why he should settle rather than lose.

Is all psychological research just the emotional ramblings of the researchers, or do you have some kind of responsibility to deal with the text of writing before you dismiss it, even if a judge wrote it?

That isn't actually so. Lots of people have ideas on that topic that won't fit on a bumpersticker.

That idea is significantly more complex than the one you've presented. Kuhn's ideas about scientific revolutions describe a cognitive process by which shifting assumptions change what one can perceive. His framework builds on Gadamer and Berkeley and philosophical idealism generally. None if it is the facile dismissal of conclusions you dislike as mere "gut opposition".

I understand that you doubt it, especially when you disagree with a decision. To doubt that a writer lacks emotions on an issue is reasonable. To attribute an antipathy to a writer in order to dismiss his reasoning isn't.

If you read the decision closely.. It is a double edged sword, whether you want to believe it or not.

"The 2nd Amendment is not an unlimited right." "The right to bear arms is not a protection of dangerous and unusual weapons."

Last edited by Psychedelic Bang; December 1, 2017 at 07:04 PM. Reason: grammar, spelling
Old December 1, 2017, 09:22 PM   #60
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts
Quote:
In theory, once appointed they are supposed to be pro-law, irrespective of their personal feelings and/or opinions.

But that's only in theory.
Old December 1, 2017, 10:47 PM   #61
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile
...Every attorney has read result oriented jurisprudence; a court decides which party should win, then mangles the caselaw and code to get where it wants to go. For a high profile decision in which that happened, I would recommend the Bush/Gore decision of the FL Sup Ct. It's a wreck.

Yet, that isn't what all judges do in all cases. There is a distance in professional analysis that allows one to tell his own client which parts of his case are terrible and why he should settle rather than lose......
And judges are human too. Like everyone else they have beliefs, values, needs, hopes and fears. And yes, they're supposed to put all that aside when they decide a legal point. And almost all do most of the time. But sometimes some won't be able to -- even if they can still delude themselves into believing that they are being objective and dispassionate.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old December 2, 2017, 02:22 PM   #62
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Two threads discussing the same case - Merged.
Old December 2, 2017, 04:55 PM   #63
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Like everyone else they have beliefs, values, needs, hopes and fears.
I agree, but you left out something else they have, EGOs.

As far as I can see from the gutter where I live, the effect of Heller on lower courts pretty much could be a line written by the Who...

Meet the new boss! Same as the old Boss!
Old December 2, 2017, 05:41 PM   #64
jdc1244

Quote:
Let stand a Circuit Court ruling that rifles in common use for 50+ years are not protected under the 2A. I wonder what they are waiting for and why there was zero public commentary from the justices?
They’re likely waiting for a Federal appeals court to strike down a law similar to the SAFE Act or the FSA, as was the case when the Sixth Circuit upheld state measures prohibiting same-sex couples from marrying, where other appellate courts had invalidated such prohibitions.
Old December 8, 2017, 09:45 AM   #65
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts View Post
True. I do think, however, a judge's past judicial record is generally a pretty good indicator of what he/she will do in the future.