The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 19, 2018, 09:24 PM   #1
bamaranger

what about reenactor powder?

In my desperate search for 3F black powder, a buddy states that he has obtained me a can of 3F" reenactor grade" powder.

I'd never heard of such a thing. An online search shows "reenactor grade" powder, but no real grading (as in 2F, 3F, etc). I've not seen the can/powder yet, but suspect this stuff will be crap and no real use in my .32 caplock, or my .50 caplock for that matter.

What have I got myself into? Does "reenactor powder" come in grades? Can I use this stuff and likely get good results from my rifles with live loads?
Old January 19, 2018, 09:33 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Never heard of it myself.
Old January 19, 2018, 09:35 PM   #3
zipspyder

Is this it? Should work fine...

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/23159

http://www.goexpowder.com/reenactor.html
Old January 19, 2018, 10:32 PM   #4
rodwhaincamo

From what I've read it's claimed to be a smorgasbord of grades like floor sweepings or some such. But it will certainly work.

Not my cup of tea though regardless as I prefer something energetic (Olde E, Swiss, or T7) because I also use it in my revolvers, but also fouling is lower with those powders I mentioned.
Old January 20, 2018, 04:44 AM   #5
Old Stony

I would seriously doubt that it would be the thing to buy for serious competition or attempting to get really tight groups out of your rifles. You should use 3f for the smaller bores only.
It would probably work just fine for cannons, blank charges, and probably even some uses in larger cartridge cases.
Old January 20, 2018, 10:34 AM   #6
Jim Watson

Meant for blanks. I would not use it to try to pinch pennies with ball.
Old January 20, 2018, 11:45 AM   #7
rodwhaincamo

I agree with these fellas ^

Except for 3F in small bores, though that is something of another topic and one it seems someone has to experience for themselves as many use and have found 3F to be more accurate than 2F in larger bores on up to 12 ga using a patched ball.
Old January 20, 2018, 12:02 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

So now I learn of reenactor powder. Nice looking bottle. Too bad it wasn't metal. I'd buy one for the can.

Old January 20, 2018, 08:44 PM   #9
bamaranger

me too

Well, I'd never heard of the stuff either!!

T'ill it was a done deal, and my pal mentioned it after he'd acquired it from somebody else, cash deal,........ done. Too complicated to go back, he'd have to approach the seller, who would have to be willing to refund my pal, after I said I'd take it.

To keep all parties happy, I'll pay up, give the powder to another pal with a golfball & salute cannon, and keep looking for a can of the good stuff.
Old January 20, 2018, 09:57 PM   #10
rodwhaincamo

What exactly are you looking for and to use in what?

I ask as I prefer the idea of one powder that does it all so as to keep things simple, not need various powder flasks for venturing out, etc. I use 3F for my two revolvers and .50 cal muzzleloader for hunting, which means I want an energetic powder and that narrows my choices.

I used Triple 7 for quite some time as I couldn't find Swiss powder in San Antonio. But then came the BP supply shortage due to smokeless stuff shortage and I eventually looked online. And that's when I found Olde Eynsford, made by Goex to compete with Swiss. It was $1 more than standard Goex. I love the stuff but haven't used it in my rifle yet as I had been merely breaking it in with the crappy Pyrodex my dad gave me.

Being an American product by Goex I'd think it not too hard to find if you can find BP locally.

If you buy from Grafs you could purchase their powder which is repackaged Schuetzen. Not energetic but still of good quality it seems. But then that would most likely mean you'd have to order it.

I feel an energetic powder is necessary as I use it in my revolvers as well, and for hunting I require a certain level of performance that most powders just can't achieve. Ultimately it's the .44 producing what many claimed was .38 Spl standard load performance with a bullet vs .45 Colt level performance. One isn't so great for game whereas the other has a long track record. But in a rifle it's not quite the big deal.
Old January 20, 2018, 10:23 PM   #11
B.L.E.

Quote:
Meant for blanks. I would not use it to try to pinch pennies with ball.
Quote:
This new powder is dedicated to the historical reenactor and the value conscious
black powder recreational shooter.
Reenactor Gunpowder loads the same by volume charge as regular grade black powder
This new product is ideal for blank fire in Muskets, Carbines, Pistols and Cannon.
Also suitable for recreational round ball muzzleloaders, where it performs nicely at
low pressures

With 100% black powder ignition, it is reliable with every shot
The way I read it, it's not strictly for blanks but a low cost powder that's good for blanks as well as economical round ball shooting. People who just want their smokepoles to go "boom" don't need Swiss or Olde Eynsford and this low cost powder is good enough for that purpose.
Just like Remington Thunderbolt .22 ammo is good enough for people who just want to spray a lot of lead downrange and don't care about one-hole 50 yard groups, this powder is good enough for people who just want to shoot and aren't looking to win matches. It's a little cheaper than regular Goex or their premium powder.
It won't blow up your gun.

Track of the Wolf's web site claims that this powder is available in only a single granulation and is somewhere between 2F and 3F.

Last edited by B.L.E.; January 20, 2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old January 20, 2018, 10:41 PM   #12
Jim Watson

I guess if you are already stuck with it, just as well give it a try.
Old January 20, 2018, 10:51 PM   #13
44 Dave

Doesn't take long to burn 1 lb. of powder !!!
Old January 20, 2018, 11:00 PM   #14
B.L.E.

Especially in a cannon.
Old January 20, 2018, 11:46 PM   #15
rodwhaincamo

Most people who merely poke holes in paper still prefer a bit of accuracy I'd say. Any better grade but lower energy powder would still be better than what some have claimed this powder to be (a smorgasbord of granulations). Standard Goex or Grafs would do nicely if consistency if wanted, especially if one is wanting to poke holes through more than just paper. But then we don't know what his intentions are.

And maybe this powder isn't as diverse with the output as it sounds. I certainly can't say since I've not used it nor have seen it used. It may well be a value powder.

Last edited by rodwhaincamo; January 20, 2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old January 21, 2018, 12:25 AM   #16
4V50 Gary
Staff

BTW, at $16.79 a pound, that's only twenty-one cents less than what I paid for the 2F or 3F.
Old January 21, 2018, 01:16 AM   #17
rodwhaincamo

On Graf's website it shows price as such:

Reenactor: $16.79
Goex: $18.59
Olde E: $20.79

Using 100 grns per shot would cost $.24/$.27/$.30 a shot. The fouling level between standard Goex and Olde E is said to be noteworthy. And consistency is worth a few pennies to me.

I'm not so sure the meager savings on powder that's not likely to be consistent is quantified. But then I also view the difference between standard Goex's lower velocities not worth the savings over the higher grade of Olde E. Of course this matters much more when you have small chamber spaces such as revolvers or even muzzleloading pistols. Punching holes through paper doesn't take much energy unlike punching holes through animals. But most people would like consistency to do either I'd think. And one could just use less Olde E to achieve the same velocity (assuming group size is still there). I'd certainly love to see a chronographed comparison as what little I've seen seems to indicate it's quite a bit when considering rifle charges.
Old January 21, 2018, 09:21 AM   #18
noelf2

I'd use it for shooting shot in either brass shells or smoothbores. I doubt my homemade powder is any better than reenactors powder, and it's great for shot.
Old January 21, 2018, 09:34 AM   #19
drobs

I'd just shoot it.
Load a little more if it seems weak.

All I shoot is Graf's Scheutzen powder as that is what my local shop (1.5 hours away) carries.

If I couldn't find powder locally, I'd order 10lbs or so from Graf's and mix and match.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...ategoryId/3501
Old January 21, 2018, 09:49 AM   #20
zipspyder

What drobs said. Try it, I bet it goes bang like all the others.
Old January 21, 2018, 10:49 AM   #21
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwhaincamo
Most people who merely poke holes in paper still prefer a bit of accuracy I'd say.
Not from what I have seen at most public ranges. Particularly the pistol and .22 rimfire shooters who seem to be on a mission to dispose of as much ammo as possible. Those are the people that Remington Thunderbolt and other bulk .22 ammo is made for.
Those few that strive to hit bug sized bulleyes at 50 to 100 yards with a .22, they are the people that Wolf MT and other premium ammo is made for.

Reenactor powder is probably more accurate than most pistol and off hand rifle shooters are.
Old January 21, 2018, 11:13 AM   #22
Jakeway

Bamaranger, how often do you get up near Nashville? After a long search, I found a dealer near Franklin TN that stocks Goex. I bought two 1 lb cans for $21 each. Had to pay tax but no shipping or Hazmat.

I might be headed to Birmingham in a couple weeks...maybe I can buy a couple cans of 3F and meet you somewhere.
Old January 21, 2018, 11:47 AM   #23
4V50 Gary
Staff

Mighty neighborly of you Jakeway.
Old January 21, 2018, 01:26 PM   #24
T. O'Heir

"...Nice looking bottle..." That's a GOEX brand not a grade.
http://www.goexpowder.com/reenactor.html
"...search for 3F black powder..." Into your local gun shop, cash in hand, and have 'em order it. Issue is probably local ordinances about BP storage for commercial retailers.
Old January 21, 2018, 03:24 PM   #25
SIGSHR

Just a marketing ploy. In RevWar we use 3F, easier to ignite, burns just as well, the smoke is just as nice, a little easier to clean up.