The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 18, 2018, 09:41 PM   #1
Stats Shooter

Wolff Spring kit for p64 9x18 makarov review

I have a p64 9x18 makarov I got when I was a broke college student for personal defense.....$125.

For those unfamiliar with the gun, it is an sa/da short pistol with 6 round mag capacity, low profile sights, and all steel frame/slide. It is eastern block mil-surp and Polish made.

It is a very accurate pistol and the SA trigger pull with stock springs was a crisp 3 lbs. But the DA pull was a long sloppy 20lbs, recoil was very strong and the brass would land 15 yards away. It was reliable, but shooting accurately in DA was nearly impossible, and the recoil made it unpleasant to shoot without gloves.

So recently I bought the Wolff spring kit with three different trigger and recoil springs. That way you can try and tune the gun. And make sure it isn't too light or too heavy.

Well, I found that the kit is a waste of time. Just get the heaviest recoil spring and lightest trigger spring which are 22lbs and 18 lbs respectively.

Even with the 22 lb recoil spring the gun still throws the brass into orbit, just instead of Pluto it only hits Mars. And the 18 lb trigger spring lightened the SA pull to 2.5 lbs but the DA pull is still heavy, just not as creepy. I also installed the extra firing pin spring because the kit came with one.

It's definitely better. And for about $14 totally worth it. But I think a guy can just get the heaviest recoil spring, lightest trigger spring and install them rather than trying to tune it.

Oh, and I tried weak target ammo and self defense ammo and both worked fine...reliably.
Old January 19, 2018, 09:09 AM   #2
Doyle

Stats, I upgraded 2 P-64s. The first one I did just like you described (18lb mainspring). It worked perfectly. On the 2nd one, the 18lb just didn't do the job. DA pull was still too hard. On that one, I switched to the 17lb and the DA pull was like butter. Very accurate little pistol.
Old January 19, 2018, 09:39 AM   #3
Stats Shooter

The DA pull has lightened up some since installing the spring. I bought the 3 spring hammer spring pack, 18, 19, 20 lbs. Maybe I will go ahead and order a 17 lb spring and try it.

The 18 lb spring did lighten things up some...But not a lot. The 22 lb recoil spring made a difference.the 20 lb and 19 lb hammer springs felt worse than the factory spring.

So maybe 17 is the ticket
Old January 19, 2018, 09:49 AM   #4
Doyle

Spats, if you decide to go to the 17lb then keep your eye open for unexpected magazine drops. That mainspring controls both the DA trigger pull and the magazine release prawl. You'll know you've gone too light if you start getting unintended magazine drops. I've heard that happening frequently with the 16lb spring. With the 17lb spring, it may happen or it may work out great like mine did.
Old January 19, 2018, 10:01 AM   #5
Stats Shooter

Quote:
if you decide to go to the 17lb then keep your eye open for unexpected magazine drops. That mainspring controls both the DA trigger pull and the magazine release prawl. You'll know you've gone too light if you start getting unintended magazine drops.
I read that...it is why I went with the kit having an 18 lb minimum. On the Wolff website it says the factory trigger/hammer was 22 lbs. So I figured 18 would be a big improvement and the mag would stay put. But I find 18 to be only slightly better than the factory spring. Like I said, it has loosened up some after about 100 rounds, but still stiffer than I expected.

The 17 lb may work in some but not others due to manufacturing tolerances which may have been loose in that area of the world during that time. I mean if that hammer spring guide rod washer or the hole in the rod was drilled a bit different on each gun, it could explain it.

Anyway, I will order the 17 and try it, and if magazines drop, I will put the 18 back in.