The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 1, 2018, 03:11 PM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I hope this qualifies

The Washington Times has a run-down of the way Guns & Ammo magazine ranks the 50 states (plus DC) on carry laws:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/mult...states-ranked/

It probably won't surprise anyone that Washington, DC, ranked 51st out of 51. It's discouraging that the nation's capital can't find its way to respecting the Constitution.
Old January 7, 2018, 03:14 PM   #2
DaleA

Interesting information.

I didn't like the 'click one at a time' Washington Times web site so I went looking around and found a list from 'Guns and Ammo' dated November 2017 but it is slightly different, don't know why, I like the G&A list better (format wise) because they just list one after another and you don't need to click.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/second-am...n-owners-2017/
Old January 7, 2018, 03:36 PM   #3
jimbob86

The Washington Times list gives extra points for requiring more training ..... bug, not a feature, IMO .....

.... and it only addresses CCW.

G&A list is more comprehensive with regard to all firearm freedoms.
Old January 7, 2018, 04:25 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

DaleA, thanks for the link to the G&A version. My state still ranks pretty low -- and lower than some other states that I consider to be worse in multiple regards. The times, they are a changin' -- I've always thought of Pennsylvania as being close to the top of the heap, but they are now definitely no better than middle of the pack.
Old January 8, 2018, 06:37 AM   #5
TDL

Quote:
It probably won't surprise anyone that Washington, DC, ranked 51st out of 51. It's discouraging that the nation's capital can't find its way to respecting the Constitution.
Dc does not respect the constitution, but it certainly is better in many ways than Maryland, NJ or Mass. As someone who has lived in Maryland, New Jersey, Mass and DC, I don't find the Washington Times or guns and ammo to be accurate on this.

I had a carry at a very young age in NJ but I worked in the liquor business which is very low markup, hence high cash volume, before the real take up in non-cash credit/debit transactions. My uncle was also deputy chief. Nowadays liquor store managers/assist managers can not normally get NJ carry permits.

Those are all may issue, ie no issue. DC has not been may issue since Oct 5 of last year when the AG ordered removal of the may issue clause concurrent with decision not to appeal panel decision.

Yes DC carry change has been recent and DC was dragged kicking and screaming, but Guns and Ammo's mid number piece ignores the definitive change made on oct 5, which any objective observer knows puts it way ahead of NJ or Maryland on carry. The Washington time interpretation of this months later is even less accurate.

As far as just owning a gun, NJ at the time -- and today -- requires character witnesses in order to buy a handgun for home. DC does not. Both Maryland and NJ take a LOT more time to get a handgun for home protection. If you decide today jan 8, you want a handgun for home protection in DC, and order it online today, chances are you are going to meet the FFL and mpd headquarters on Jan 18th at 930 am and be walking out with your handgun at about noon.That is NOT going to happen in Maryland or NJ. where you will certainly be into February.

Guns and ammo has also been saying in its text on state rankings for years:
Quote:
"DC has adopted the California, Maryland and Massachusetts rosters of “drop safe” guns so, if a handgun isn’t eligible for purchase in those states, you can’t have it in DC either.
Not really. There at hundreds of guns legal in DC that are not legal to buy now in Cali, and there are guns you can't buy in Mass but which you can buy in DC, and guns you can't buy in even the most expansive list (Maryland) that you can buy new in DC.

I had a pal buy new a normal trigger weight shield M.20 last month in DC, something you can't buy new in Mass or Maryland or Cali. It is not on the Maryland roster yet, but it is on the Mas roster (DC uses mass roster requirement only, not Mass AG's separate trigger weight requirements)

I'm not defending DC's laws or attitude. But for anyone who has spent time in the North East, the G/A ranking have not been correct for years.

I'd be careful about the Washington times. For years after live fire training for home protection registration was dropped Washington Times was still saying it was required. They were still saying ammo caliber laws were in place after they were dropped. They recently published John Lott's very inaccurate scare map on the 1,000' school zone, which is enhanced penalty zones, not a prohibition zone.

As far as the training requirement, yes it is bogus as a mandatory thing. Then again most of the DC trainers are following exactly the NRA personal protection outside the home curriculum, which is a good course for a lot of people to take; plus two hours on national and DC self defense law, carry laws; and two hours of live fire, where a competent NRA carry instructor works with students on drawing and firing at relevant distances. Forcing people to take the two days and pay for NRA PPOH is wrong, but it is not like it is a waste for most people. (the two hours of live fire and two hours law refresher requirement very two year is overkill, but DC is solely a dense urban area).

Again I don't defend these laws, but if you or someone you know lives in DC and wants a gun for home defense or sport shooting, or a carry license, it is in my view, that they should get it and not be deterred by articles that are less than fully accurate
Old January 8, 2018, 04:13 PM   #6
Carne Frio

In Alaska you can go into a Kroger grocery store and
buy an AR15 and a Glock model 19 and walk out with
them, in about 10 to 20 minutes. They sell ammo too.
I doubt you can to that in Arizona or most other states.
Old January 9, 2018, 08:30 AM   #7
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne Frio
In Alaska you can go into a Kroger grocery store and
buy an AR15 and a Glock model 19 and walk out with
them, in about 10 to 20 minutes. They sell ammo too.
I doubt you can to that in Arizona or most other states.
I don’t know about the grocery store part, but the rest is possible in a lot of states. Alaska is one of the states where the ATF has approved your carry permit to let you to skip the NICS check, but there are a bunch of states like that. And in Alaska, like in every state, you still have to fill out form 4473, which usually takes longer than a background check for most customers.

Even with the background check, I could probably have you out of my shop here in PA with a Glock 19 and an AR-15 in about 20 minutes. And if it took longer than that it would usually have nothing to do with the background check itself, it would probably be because I had trouble finding the gun boxes in the back or you took a long time on the 4473.