The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 19, 2017, 10:53 AM   #251
Sharkbite

Quote:
the retired LE's that I shoot with have to qualify in order to maintain certification
Yep, gotta qual annually to maintain certification. It is a strange thing. LEO’s must qual every year, but a CCW holder may NEVER have to qual
Old December 19, 2017, 01:46 PM   #252
heyjoe

thank Rep. Sensenbrenner for that...he wouldnt let it out of committee until that provision was added to the bill
Old December 20, 2017, 06:45 AM   #253
Don P

As I have stated multiple times in this thread, hope this bill goes down the drain in a hurry. It's the last thing we need
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 20, 2017, 08:00 PM   #254
mack59

Too bad, this would push the SC to finally endorse the carry part of the 2nd and would push may issue states into shall issue states, being as everyone except their own citizens could carry.
Old December 22, 2017, 01:05 PM   #255
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
this would push the SC to finally endorse the carry part of the 2nd and would push may issue states into shall issue states, being as everyone except their own citizens could carry
I rather doubt that would be the result. It's an easy enough view to endorse, but it's a view from "outside the box". From inside those states "boxes", it is a different matter. State governments do "what their citizens want", though as a general rule its not a matter of what the citizens want, so much as what the citizens will put up with, before voting SOME of them out of office.

I you think that passage of the Reciprocity bill will create a massive hue and cry amongst the populations of the restrictive states, demanding their restrictions be eased, I think you will be sadly disappointed.
Old December 22, 2017, 01:15 PM   #256
Glenn E. Meyer

I agree with that. The urban areas of the restrictive states are probably dead set against loosening carry rules. You can see that where the urban counties will not issue permits but the rural ones are quite easy in some states.

As far as waiting to SCOTUS to have some gun rights epiphany, that is not happening without a massive court change. Don't hold your breath.

In any case, I doubt the Senate will pass the bill anyway. The vote would have to break a filibuster and the Senate GOP has its own motivations, of which guns aren't one of importance. Never see it mentioned as priority in any leadership statements, do you?