The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 6, 2017, 03:51 PM   #51
rwilson452

Quote:
Quote:
rwilson452, as discussed at length in this TFL thread, there are several classes of military discharge that are below a honorable discharge but do not make someone a prohibited person. A Bad Conduct Discharge (BCD) is one of these; it is proverbially one step on the ladder above a dishonorable discharge, analogous to a serious non-domestic misdemeanor conviction, not to a felony.

As this topic doesn't directly concern legislative proposals, I suggest that we start another thread if you wish to discuss it further.
Thanks,

Now I understand.
Old November 6, 2017, 05:00 PM   #52
Tom Servo
Staff

For the purposes of this thread, let's keep the focus on the legislative proposals and not the events being exploited to promote them.
Old November 8, 2017, 09:31 PM   #53
Psychedelic Bang

Its now a full on "Assault Weapons Ban."

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/artic...n-12341768.php
Old November 9, 2017, 05:03 AM   #54
armoredman

Yep. I doubt they have any kind of the push to get it through, more posturing for the base, at a safe time - between elections. Hoever, there is no underestimating the stupidity of a scared politician, and many of the establishment RINOs are scared to death of the "Trump backlash"...normally something I would call a made up leftist thing, but Virginia showed that I might be mistaken. Contact your elected Congresscritters just in case, and explain your opposition to this bill.
Old November 10, 2017, 06:33 AM   #55
Spats McGee
Staff

Tom Servo - I've edited the OP to add Sheila Jackson's H.R.4268, so that the bills are all in one place.
Old November 11, 2017, 08:28 PM   #56
Bartholomew Roberts

Just read Feinstein’s latest AWB offering. Talk about badly drafted. That will be difficult for ATF to enforce and there will be outright loopholes that can be exploited by pro-2A. It is basically a slightly more onerous 1994 ban with some ridiculous language and exceptions.

All variants of AR15s are banned; but Mini-14s are specifically exempt.
Old November 12, 2017, 07:23 AM   #57
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts
. . . .All variants of AR15s are banned; but Mini-14s are specifically exempt.
That just almost violates the rational basis test.
Old November 12, 2017, 10:54 PM   #58
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
That just almost violates the rational basis test.
ALMOST???

However, do we want to teach the gun banners how to write a "good" law?? I don't think it wise.

Its more costly, certainly, fight once their crap becomes law (if it actually does), but once "set" in the law, they cannot fix a glaring logic flaw with a simple editorial change in committee.

If we can prevail, and get a seriously flawed law thrown out by the courts, through due process, its "dead", and over with, null and void, toast.
(legal eagles, correct me if I'm wrong, please)

In order to replace what the voided law did, the entire process has to start over with a new bill being introduced.

And the momentum to pass a new version of what they screwed up on the first time might not be there.
Old November 13, 2017, 03:58 AM   #59
gshayd

I say let them write the laws that are stuck on stupid because when it gets to a court the Judge might say that its bad law and unenforceable and chunk it out. Take the AWB that was passed during Clinton's Administration it basically banned certain features on some rifles but not any thing that would effect the original function. I think it actually increased gun sales once manufacturers did the cosmetic changes. Once it was done I think it passed by one vote and politicians lost elections that supported it. No politician in Congress wanted to revisit it after that and it eventually expired.
Old November 13, 2017, 06:26 AM   #60
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
ALMOST???
"Almost." I'm not a court and reluctant to make any hard predictions as to what a court might rule on that. Too many variables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
Its more costly, certainly, fight once their crap becomes law (if it actually does), but once "set" in the law, they cannot fix a glaring logic flaw with a simple editorial change in committee.

If we can prevail, and get a seriously flawed law thrown out by the courts, through due process, its "dead", and over with, null and void, toast.
(legal eagles, correct me if I'm wrong, please)
True, but with the not-insignificant downside that the bad law remains the law until a court tosses it.
Old November 13, 2017, 11:29 AM   #61
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
True, but with the not-insignificant downside that the bad law remains the law until a court tosses it.
True. And there's the rub. The effort we spend shooting holes in their bill teaches those who pay attention where they are vulnerable, and while we may be successful shooting down today's bill, the next one could have better "armor", because we showed them how, by pointing out the flaws in the current bill, in detail.

In this, human nature works against us. There are people who simply cannot grasp the importance of keeping their mouths shut in their own best interest. We say "we oppose this bill, because it infringes on our rights." They respond with questions about how, and where it does this, so that "in the spirit of compromise and working together" they can write/rewrite it into a "better" bill. (better, being defined by them, as something that get them what they want, banning guns, but better meaning less vulnerable to legal challenges)

And we have people on our side who will happily tell them, in detail, point by point. They think they are helping, but they aren't. They think that if the other side just understands our points, they will recognize the rightness of our positions, and stop trying to pass laws which infringe on our rights.

THEY WON'T.

I think it is a better tactic for our side to state our opposition, and not explain to the other side every point. Make them do their own homework!!!

it may not, of course, work in the long run, but I see no point in making their task of banning our guns any easier for them.
Old November 13, 2017, 11:58 AM   #62
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
We say "we oppose this bill, because it infringes on our rights." They respond with questions about how, and where it does this, so that "in the spirit of compromise and working together" they can write/rewrite it into a "better" bill. (better, being defined by them, as something that get them what they want, banning guns, but better meaning less vulnerable to legal challenges)

And we have people on our side who will happily tell them, in detail, point by point. They think they are helping, but they aren't.

There isn't anything wrong with pointing out how a gun bill infringes on our gun rights because all such bills will restrict our gun rights in some way. It is another matter entirely to point out the loopholes or areas the law does not cover.
Old November 22, 2017, 11:36 PM   #63
Ruark

It's really notable that there hasn't been ANY legislation proposed to fix the ridiculously inadequate reporting to the NICS system, which is precisely how Devin Kelley was able to purchase his weapons. I read shortly after the incident that about 30% of disqualifying incidents are not reported by the Air Force, 50% by the Army, and an astounding 92% by the Navy. But I never hear a peep about this; it's all about banning this, banning that, etc.
Old November 23, 2017, 01:12 AM   #64
armoredman

I had heard that very idea was floated some years back and the Democrats sank it, can't remember where I read that one...