The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 10, 2020, 09:18 AM   #51
Jim Watson

Perhaps a niche market, but metal guns are heavier and action competitors are liking heavy guns these days. You see 2011s with steel butts at prices hundreds of dollars higher than the original plastic. Walther went from the Q5 Match to the Q5 Match SF with steel frame instead of plastic. Sig didn't want to retool, so they use plastic with tungsten filler for their top of the line gun.
Old June 10, 2020, 07:25 PM   #52
elsancudo

Use for the steel barrel after I die.

Would it be okay to have them put the steel barrel only of one's favorite pistol where his, um, private part is before burying him so when archaeologists maybe dig up his skeleton they will think his wife must have been real happy with that, um, insert? Or, maybe they'll wonder why that insert was there at all? Asking for a friend.
Old June 12, 2020, 03:00 PM   #53
mr bolo

the advantage of a polymer pistol like the SIG 320 , the receiver is the trigger mechanism

not the polymer grip / frame, so you can easily replace the polymer since thats not the part with the seriel number on the SIG P320

so if your grip gets chewed up by the dog or damaged some how, you can easily replace that part.

Old June 12, 2020, 04:41 PM   #54
pete2

Metal guns don't have plastic frames, big advantage right there.
Old June 12, 2020, 05:50 PM   #55
Hawg

I don't like polymer frames because of the weight and most of them are striker fired and double action.
Old June 13, 2020, 12:46 PM   #56
Cosmodragoon

It's a shame that there aren't more polymer options in DA/SA. We have a few gems like the PX4 but when it comes to smaller carry guns, even the metal-framed Sigs are drying up.
Old June 13, 2020, 11:58 PM   #57
hemiram

Striker fired is probably my biggest dislike of most of the pol guns. I don't really like the looks of many poly/striker guns at all. I have a couple of them, a couple of Taurus PT111 G2's and a Canik TP9v2, and they are OK, i can't really say I really love any of them. I have one poly gun I do really like a lot, my Sarsilmaz Cm9 Gen2, which is basically a copy of a CZ P-07, which I also own. My p-07 is a CZ custom gun, with a great trigger and upgraded sights, but I actually like the SAR better, and for $250-300, it's a great bargain. I nearly bought a Sig 2022 a few days ago, but I bought one of my all time desired guns, an S&W 629 instead. A CZ SP-01 Shadow is a likely buy at some point in the future.
Old June 14, 2020, 05:15 PM   #58
Ingramite

Say whut?

I'm an old square headed stubborn Dutchman.
Steel with wood grips in leather holsters.

Listen, it took decades before I would even try any semi-automatic. That was a huge leap for me. Still, with the semi-automatics that I shoot now I'm at ease with hammers, safeties, and long double action trigger pulls. My 1911's have short crisp single action trigger pulls but they also have grip and thumb safeties.

I have tried a couple of plastic pistols but they were hammer fired and had manual safeties. The only one that I kept was a SIG P290RS and only because it is small enough to carry in my pocket.

Now, here is the Acid Test for anyone who cares to take it.
I'll take my 1922 Colt model 1903 out of my carved leather El Paso holster and lay it down on the table. You take your Glock (whatever) model that you whipped out of your krylon holster and lay it down next to it......Now, again, what was the question?

How about showing me a plastic pistol that looks more classic than a Colt's Commander with stag grips?

Not much else in this life is as intimate and personal as a pistol that you carry close to your body everyday. I do understand that some of us like long sleeve dress shirts because that's simply the way they are "supposed" to be. Some like them only because you can wipe snot on the sleeve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1903 # removed.jpg (864.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Stag Commander.jpg (930.1 KB, 20 views)
Old June 15, 2020, 12:52 PM   #59
44 AMP
Staff

When I see a polymer framed Desert Eagle, then, I'll start to consider polymer framed pistols.
Old June 15, 2020, 03:45 PM   #60
Doyle

When it comes to cleaning, the metal guns are easier to deal with. If it is REALLY gunked up, you can always pull of any plastic grips and spray everything with brake cleaner. That will remove all oil/grease/etc. that is oil soluble.

Also, you can safely boil it. I had to boil one once. It was a .32ACP version of the Hungarian PA63 that I decided to carry out on the boat fishing in the bay. Of course, it got wet with salt water so I pulled off the plastic grips, field stripped it, and put the whole thing in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes to dissolve any hidden salt. Worked great.
Old June 29, 2020, 01:15 PM   #61
jackstrawIII

Quote:
I don't see the longevity issue as a telling one. I don't buy pistols with the intent of future generations using them, though I expect they will be able to.
I agree completely. I think it's crazy to expect a $500 pistol to last through the generations. What else that costs $500 lasts a few generations? Nothing. Your $1000 iPhone is going to be obsolete in 3 years... and yet you expect your CARRY pistol to last 100 years?

That makes no sense to me.

Plastic is lighter that steel and absorbs recoil better than aluminum. Will it last 100 years? Who cares. I'm going to carry/shoot is as much as I want then sell it and move on. 99.999% of the people reading this will never shoot more than 10,000 rounds through any of their guns in a lifetime. Longevity just isn't a factor.

So, back to the original question... benefits of an all steel gun.
1. Recoil managment
2. Classic styling
3. Might have a slight edge in resistance to certain chemicals

I can't think of any others.

Ps. I really like all steel guns. They're cool... but almost every single military and police force in the world has switched to plastic. Wonder why...
Old June 29, 2020, 02:04 PM   #62
jimku

If your a lousy shot and miss, you can bash him in the head with a heavy gun.
Old June 30, 2020, 10:26 AM   #63
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrawIII View Post
I agree completely. I think it's crazy to expect a $500 pistol to last through the generations. What else that costs $500 lasts a few generations? Nothing. Your $1000 iPhone is going to be obsolete in 3 years... and yet you expect your CARRY pistol to last 100 years?

That makes no sense to me.

Plastic is lighter that steel and absorbs recoil better than aluminum. Will it last 100 years? Who cares. I'm going to carry/shoot is as much as I want then sell it and move on. 99.999% of the people reading this will never shoot more than 10,000 rounds through any of their guns in a lifetime. Longevity just isn't a factor.

So, back to the original question... benefits of an all steel gun.
1. Recoil managment
2. Classic styling
3. Might have a slight edge in resistance to certain chemicals

I can't think of any others.

Ps. I really like all steel guns. They're cool... but almost every single military and police force in the world has switched to plastic. Wonder why...
Since I have at least one revolver built before 1900 and several rifles in the same or older age range still functional and used, Yes I do sort of want things to last 100 years.
Old June 30, 2020, 01:05 PM   #64
SIGSHR

Durability and shoot ability. Bullseye shooters never clamored for lighter handguns and how much range time do they put in ? In fact they often wanted more weight even with the light target loads they fired. On another board a member said he saw a titanium frame revolver fail in a defensive course after only 50 rounds. One time when I was in the National Guard I brought my Colt Combat Commander, an NCO brought his Commander. We let people fire both, every one said they preferred mine.
Old July 2, 2020, 05:55 AM   #65
JDBerg

My favorite metal framed 9mm service pistol (BHP) is out of production. I have 2, I’m working on getting a third, and I know I’ll be spending more than I want to for a decent one. My favorite polymer framed service pistol is my Glock 19X and these are available everywhere, easy & inexpensive to maintain, repair, or modify. I’d rather shoot the BHP’s but the Glocks see more range time lately. They both work for what I want to use them for.
Old July 3, 2020, 01:04 PM   #66
scoobysnacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
As much as I like all metal firearms, I can't help but roll my eyes whenever makes arguments in regards to longevity. Even if a Glock frame will fail within 100 years, what difference does it make? They're easily replaced at negligible cost.

Polymer framed pistols have been around since 1970, that was 50 years ago, and there are still plenty of old H&K VP70s in proper working order, so I can think of no reason to expect tbat the polymer used in more modern designs like the Glock won't last even longer.

Personally, I like metal-framed pistols better because they tend to be better shooters and that's good enough for me.
Well, since I do collect, and my son likes my collection, it does have a bit of interest for me. I've also inherited a few guns. I do want to pass them down when the time comes.

My reluctance to polymer is several-fold; my dad was an engineer in a plastics plant. Plastics etc get old differently than metal does.
I've seen some old antiques (not guns) that LOOK fine, but when you handle them they're brittle and crumble. That would be my greatest concern- no matter how well you take care of it, it will lose resilience and fail within a generation.

Even my cheapest guns have cost over $100, and if I spend money on something "just to have and keep", I want workmanship and knowing it will last 'forever'.
Old July 3, 2020, 02:43 PM   #67
jar

The pros are that it's not plastic.

The cons are that it's not plastic.
Old July 7, 2020, 03:10 PM   #68
stinkeypete

Quote:
I think it's crazy to expect a $500 pistol to last through the generations. What else that costs $500 lasts a few generations? Nothing. Your $1000 iPhone is going to be obsolete in 3 years.
My Blackhawk and Bearcat are easily 100 year pistols. I would bet on it.

Quote:
the advantage of a polymer pistol like the SIG 320 , the receiver is the trigger mechanism not the polymer grip / frame, so you can easily replace the polymer since thats not the part with the seriel number on the SIG P320

As a hobby (bubba) gunsmith I have really been curious what an "80% receiver" for a sig 320 would be. The thing is bent metal, a couple of holes and the most difficult thing about it seems to be stamping the serial number on it.

That seems like a big loophole to me. Your thoughts?
Old July 7, 2020, 09:36 PM   #69
shurshot

Pride of ownership for me. I prefer to store my Tupperware in the kitchen, not in my holster.
Old July 7, 2020, 11:04 PM   #70
jimku

The biggest pro of a metal-framed gun is that is what I prefer.