The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 28, 2020, 07:55 PM   #1
Prof Young

All My Little Guns . . .

To celebrate having fixed the Bauer once again, I took all my little guns to the range today. (See pic below, the perspective is a touch out of whack due to shot angle.)

Besides having lots of fun, this is what I learned.

NAA Black widow is still very hard to get a small group with even at four yards. But also still a hoot to shoot. I think that little trigger is a lot of the accuracy problem.

Kel Tec P3AT is all over the place when I shoot it one handed, but (at four yards) not too bad when I use both hands.

Bond Arms Rowdy makes a big BANG, and the lower barrel still does a lite strike far too often. May have to be in touch with Bond arms.

Bauer is WORKING. Got two full mags through with one stove pipe at the end of a mag. But now the "cocked" indicator is sticking out the back once in a while. (Look for latest Bauer saga thread in the Smithy section.)

Sig P238 may be one of the best guns in my safe. At seven yards I can shoot it better than just about any gun in the safe.

Peggy Sue, if you are reading this, you have a much better collection, but I'm work on it.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Little guns.jpg (125.1 KB, 203 views)
Old June 28, 2020, 10:40 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Bauer firing pins can peen themselves, causing the cocking indicator to stick. I need to look at mine to advise, but am unable to do so tonight.
Old June 29, 2020, 04:33 AM   #3
TJB101

P238 is a stellar firearm ... it is my summertime carry, front pocket.
Old July 1, 2020, 03:27 PM   #4
kenny53

That is a nice collection. I have a few little guns but never had a "little gun" day at the range. It is some thing to think about.
Old July 1, 2020, 04:07 PM   #5
Forte S+W

Nice guns.

The only really small gun I own is my Ruger LCP. I also own two Walther PPK/S pistols, (one in .22LR, the other in .380 ACP) but those are more of a sub-compact type of pistol than outright small. They're all really nice though, the Ruger LCP is the 10th Anniversary Edition with a Stainless Steel Slide, front/rear chevron serrations, and a laser-engraved Ruger Logo plus "TENTH ANNIVERSARY -- 2008-2018" on the top of the slide. The PPK/S are just ordinary, save for the fact that the .380 ACP model was actually manufactured by Smith & Wesson which is pretty cool, and I dressed it up with some Altamont Super Rosewood Grips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger_LCP_10th_Anniversary--Top.jpg (674.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger_LCP_10th_Anniversary--Right.jpg (638.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger_LCP_10th_Anniversary--Left.jpg (681.2 KB, 3103 views)

Last edited by Forte S+W; July 1, 2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old July 1, 2020, 04:28 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

I enjoy "little" guns. Mine starts with the miniest of the mini revolvers. A NAA 22 Short Mini Revolver. Then LCP, P32, PT-22 Poly, IJ TP 22 Not sure what the top end of "little" gun is. Walther PP, Beretta 1934 and model 70. Makarov's, and PA 64 maybe?
or maybe my Kahr CM9.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 1, 2020, 06:26 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

Had a chance to refresh my memory about the cocking indicator.

Remove it from the firing pin spring. You will see that the indicator itself is either peened on the end toward the firing pin, or that it's bent.

If it's peened, you can carefully hammer the peened edges back into place with a small hammer and anvil. Alternately, you can file the peening off.
Old July 3, 2020, 06:34 PM   #8
Prof Young

Should have read this first.

Bill:
So I just posted in the Smithy section about my cocking indicator. Should have read this first.

Okay, so what I think is a little bit of a flange, on the end of the indicator toward the firing pin, is not really supposed to be there? Am I understanding that correctly? Just file it off and I should be good to go?

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old July 4, 2020, 02:15 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

Yep- file it off or peen it back into place.